• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

11DBHK

Banned
I caught a Nidoran. She saved my butt then, and she grew into a Nidoqueen who would continue to save my butt all throughout yellow, body slamming her way through the game.

^^^How did you use mankey? They aren't available til post-Pewter...

theres a little area in route 2 i think it was you catch them
where your rival shows up and says youcant join pokemon because you have no badges

theres also away to get a squirtle without trading once you beat pokemon staduim you get a random starter

Last edited:

2D Thom

Im a tombsone
my bro leveled up pikachu up to level 30. it took a long time but he 1hitKOd both of brock's pokemon. i would just catch a mankey.

M4zz

Banned
where your rival shows up and says youcant join pokemon because you have no badges

theres also away to get a squirtle without trading once you beat pokemon staduim you get a random starter

You mean Route 28.

Butterfree.

Mankey with low kick. Also used my Butterfree's confusion as back up

Aggron459

Aron Is Beast
I caught a Caterpie and Pidgey. I trained Caterpie to like lvl11 or 12 or whenever it learned confusion.

Start off with pidgey (i got mine to like 14+) and just spam gust on geodude until one of you die. When Onix comes out (if you still have pidgey) Spam Sand attack until your dead then send out Butterfree and spam confusion. There.

TheDarkrai

Magic Bounce Espeon!
Starters in Yellow

I think you're both ignoring the fact that all the Kanto starters were available in yellow with out Stadium or trades. They're given to you by different people after beating some of the first few gyms. I believe you obtain squirtle in Vermilion after beating LT. Surge...

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
When I first played the game I barely understood a thing, because English isn't my main language and back then it sucked badly. I think I just got lucky that I had a Nidoran (male) in my team, and found out by surprise that Double Kick owns Rock type.^^

11DBHK

Banned
I think you're both ignoring the fact that all the Kanto starters were available in yellow with out Stadium or trades. They're given to you by different people after beating some of the first few gyms. I believe you obtain squirtle in Vermilion after beating LT. Surge...

re read the title the "first gym in yellow" you cant leave pewter without beating brock first so its impossible to go to cerulean city or vermillion city
to get the original 3 starters

Vipsoccermaster

Brock in Yellow Version was tough for me the first time through. I pretty much trained my Pokemon and caught a Mankey in Route 22 for assistance. Other than that, it was difficult with Pikachu.

koosbane

master breeder
Like others said I did it various ways. Mankey/nidoran male or female/Butterfree. The butterfree using confusion was my preffered method since I love butterfree. It also helps on misty by putting that damned starmie to sleep.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I always used Mankey in the first gym, because I found one on my first playthrough of Yellow before I even knew that Nidoran could be caught early in the game, and it never occurred to me to use a Butterfree.

So that's why I always use Mankey for the first gym every time I play Yellow (not that I play that particular game anymore).

skittyeevee

cosmic eevee
I don't remember too clearly, but I think I caught a Pidgey and a Caterpie that I evolved into Butterfree, then trained them until they were lv. 11.

AmpharosFanatic

As I suspect most others did I caught a Caterpie, evolved it, and made it learn confusion.

darthroker29

Sith Lord
I caught a mankey and trained it to like lvl.11 and the rest was a pice of cake..

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I used both Mankey and Butterfree because I got the game when I was like 12 and knew what to do :) It was still a real pain in the bottom though, such a hard first Gym for a kid's game.

Shadow XD001

Recently, I actually got passed the first gym with just Pikachu and Pidgey (mostly just Pidgey)

Tackle/Gust/Quick Attack (I think) FTW. 'Nuff said.