• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

WiseGuy

In the early play-throughs of yellow i had 2 methods:

1. Drawing upon the wisdom of a friend, I would spend the entire day grinding my Pikachu to level 20 so that I would learn Slam. Pikachu would remain overleveled in comparison to my team for the rest of the game.

2. Use and abuse Double Team and Tail Whip to lower the defense in order to turn a scratch into a dent with Quick Attack. Very luck based and needed I Potions for security.

Roserazor

...Look Behind You
Here's something interesting. In gen 1 there's no such thing as a pure rock type.

That's not that impressive. There were also no pure ghost types in gen 1. What's more interesting is that there were no pure flying types until the 5th generation, and there were no pure ice types until the 3rd.

TrainerChris

Bad at Pokemon
I don't remember, I remember getting the game when I was 4 and playing it, then I lost. I found it when I was 12 and was already going for the 7th gym and my pokemon were at such a weak level, I wish I could still play like I did back in the day.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I used a butterfree with psychic

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
-Had Pikachu abuse quick attack on geodude until it either died or got to half hp.
-Send in Butterfree to use confusion untill it died.
-Send in Nidoran to use double kick.
Hated this though as I thought I was cheating as the battle was 3-2.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Butterfree with confusion sweeps the floor with Brock's pokemon

drose

The Horned Zoroark
Hi

Mankey with low kick kills brock in two turns

Latis

Lati@s
I just used Butterfree and spammed confusion lol

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Yellow i would recommend you catch butterfree,nidoran,and mankey.
Nidoran learn double kick butterfree learn confusion.

ThunderPuncher

Electrifying!
I had a couple different methods:

1.) Use a Butterfree w/ Confusion

2.) Use a Mankey w/ Low Kick

3.) Spam Pidgey's Sand-Attack on both Geodude and Onix. Then spam Pikachu's Tail Whip on both and Quick Attack them to death.

Kim62

Hello
I just used a Mankey. With most gyms they will have some sort of Pokemon or TM/HM nearby so that you can use that against the gym leader.

The only exception would probably be in G/R/B if you choose the Charmander but they fixed that in LG/FR by giving Charmander Metal Claw.

Crocker

Let's Roggenrola!
Mankey ftw. I've also tried a few times with Butterfree, but Rock Throw is too much for the poor butterfly.