• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you react upon discovering that Pokemon's first protagonist is named Red?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The Pokemon anime was Pokemon's marketing, the floodgates to letting the entire world into the Pokemon games. The anime's influence made such a lasting impact that even today, I do see a few comments across the internet where people think Ash Ketchum is the "main character" of the Pokemon games. So it's pretty fun to see the few expressing their reaction that they found out that Ash Ketchum was never in the games to begin with but rather his game counterpart, Red, has. Today such fans discover the revelation that not only is Pokemon's very first protagonist is named Red but he also has a very high-level team full of final evolutions, he's become Pokemon Champion and that he's now an adult taking a vacation in the Alola region, no longer being the 11 year old he was. Oh yeah. I suppose that's another thing, fans used to the anime found out that Red started his adventures at age 11, not 10. This is today and seeing these few rare reactions reminded me of the time when Pokemon fans were happily surprised that Kanto's fem protag's canon name was confirmed to be Green, so excited that many brought up discussion boards around them just to discuss their excitement.

And yet I don't actually hear a lot of people's reactions about finding out that the first protagonist of Pokemon is named Red. I suppose it's understandable. Green is fairly recent still whereas people found out about Red's name in Gen 2 which is pretty long ago. So with that being said. How did you react when you found out Pokemon's first protagonist's name is none other than Red?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Thought it defeated the purpose of him being some imposing secret final boss. Granted a name doesn’t mean much with your actions but just gave the impression that I shouldn’t take him seriously (I still don’t)

Orphalesion

I don't know. It's been a long time since I learned that the champion in Gold Silver is a guy named Red. But even to child his presence in Gold/Silver mean that Pokemon had multiple timelines.
I do know that I thought the name, alongside pretty much all the other Protag/Rival characters in Pokemon that follow that pattern (Blue, Gold, Silver, Chrystal, Leaf etc. etc. etc.) is pretty stupid.

I also think that the "canon" names of the PCs are pretty much irrelevant, it's not like they are actual characters in the game, or anything, they're just avatars and their "canon" names are just place holders to me that serve to differentiate them in discussions.
Of course in GS HGSS and the Gen 7 games, Red and Blue *are* actual characters and I think they should have given them better names for those games. What was wrong with Satoshi/Ash and Shigeru/Gary?

Missingno.Fan

I don’t remember having a reaction. I’m sure I used to call the player character Ash, but I didn’t feel like my childhood was ruined or anything.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I mean Red hasn't caught anything outside Kanto by the looks of it soooooooo...
Red isn't Ash, the boy who journeys each and every region as a ten-year old. Red grows older, he lives in a world where age does matter, where his adventures as an 11-year old going on a Pokemon journey to assist Prof. Oak ended years ago, becoming a full-grown adult, the legend who inspires other young adventurers to take the torch to explore other new regions. Honestly it's kind of depressing thinking about it lol.

Kein

AKA Silktree
It's interesting how the Red battle not only separated the character from Ash, but from the player. If you played Yellow, then chances are that you thought of yourself as Ash in some form. Just a year later, Red did away with that, even though his team happened to be very close to Ash's save for Espeon.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Honestly at first, I didn't get it, and just thought he was some kind of pirate. Once I realized who they were talking about, I found it kind of funny.

Orphalesion

Did Ash become the Kanto Champion and then retreat to Mt. Silver? Well, there's your answer.

Red isn't Ash, the boy who journeys each and every region as a ten-year old. Red grows older, he lives in a world where age does matter, where his adventures as an 11-year old going on a Pokemon journey to assist Prof. Oak ended years ago, becoming a full-grown adult, the legend who inspires other young adventurers to take the torch to explore other new regions. Honestly it's kind of depressing thinking about it lol.

I wasn't saying that they are the same character, just that I think there'd be nothing wrong with using that name, since Satoish/Ash was one of the suggested names for the protagonist in Pokemon Red, and it would sound less silly than a guy named "Red".
I mean they could have at least be creative and named him Rhett :p

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Ah what happy frustratingly nostalgic memories, trying to catch a Tauros at a 4% or 1% chance under a time limit with no Pokemon.
Got it and Bullhonkey ended up Earthquaking Agatha's Toxic Gengar. Was worth my Poké Dollars.

Back on subject...

My dad thought the game protagonist was named Ozzie, due to a asinine neighbor.

Took a year of convincing to get him to change his mind.