• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How different might these games have turned out if Game Freak had directly developed them?

WaterTypeStarter

With HGSS, ORAS, and LGPE, Game Freak was not afraid to take many liberties and make major revamps or changes as well some controversial decisions. BDSP, by contrast mostly plays it safe and are mostly the same games as the originals aside from graphics, sound, and some minor gimmicks among other things. If Game Freak directly had developed them, might they have played it less safe and made more innovations?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think it could have gone either way. BDSP being developed by GF could easily be up there with ORAS as being some of the best in the entire series (not that BDSP aren’t good as they are now) or being lackluster and dull after awhile like the Let’s Go games.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don't think it would of been a full on copy of DP. I also don't think questionable decisions would have been made like for some reason taking away reusable TM's but yet giving us multiples of the same thing. The Gym leaders probably wouldn't of kept their original teams nor the Gym designs verbatim. However things like divided exp being forced on us and and trainer customization probably would of still been there. The games are okay for a nostalgia trip and seeing DP with better (?) graphics and it does take me back to an 11 year old me playing but other than that I'm not that hyped. They are good for what they are (DP copies) but Platinum will always be the superior game and I do believe we would of gotten expanded content from Platinum if they developed it. HGSS included Silver content, Let's Go incorporated Yellow elements and ORAS had Emerald elements. I think Let's Go were fun games besides the aspect of not being able to battle wild Pokemon. Overall though the remakes for the Switch have been a mess and I question and fear how BW will go.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Legends will not exist if that was the case, but anyway. If GF developed this, then I think it's going to...
  • look like SWSH/Legends visually
  • redesign all the characters
  • possibly introduce new characters and new locations
  • have Episode Platinum (and still have no Battle frontier)
  • keep Secret Bases in the Grand Underground and expand on that
  • keep the original format of the Super Contests
  • include the remaining unobtainable Gen 5-8 Pokemon post-game
  • probably not have the tough competitive post-game battles
BDSP is okay as it is. I just kinda wished it went with the Let's Go art style on the overworld and included the upgrades from Platinum. But hey, we have Legends arriving in the next two months.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
- Use a similar art style to Sword/Shield.
- Minor redesigns for major characters. Not sure if trainer customisation will be included however (poor Brendan/May are grumbling in the corner).
-Somehow try to shoehorn Dynamax in the game. A few posters mentioned in the speculation thread it largely revolves Team Galactic importing certain minerals from Galar to try to artificially allow for it to occur.
- None of the competitive-ish move sets on the boss Trainers.
- Post-game story line involving Giratina.
- Battle Tower operates on a similar fashion to SWSH (save for Palmer being the boss), possibly right down to not disallowing box Legends and Mythicals.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Maybe not many differences but what i would want.

Difficulty setting: Default or Classic. Default keeps all BDSP rules. Classic allows turning off the competitive items and competitive teams on bosses.

TM shouldn't be breakable or require big stones from the underground (Energy Ball).

Graphics option: Turns off the chibi graphics looks weird by introducing a "Big Head" mode on or off

Last edited:

PCN24454

It would have Dynamax mechanics with the main trainers all having Gigantimax forms.

Most of the trainers would get redesigns.

Also there would be connectivity between BDSP and SwSh.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
With HGSS, ORAS, and LGPE, Game Freak was not afraid to take many liberties and make major revamps or changes as well some controversial decisions. BDSP, by contrast mostly plays it safe and are mostly the same games as the originals aside from graphics, sound, and some minor gimmicks among other things. If Game Freak directly had developed them, might they have played it less safe and made more innovations?
Personally I still give these games a solid 9 out of 10. While they lose a point for not including Platinums Battle Frontier the sudden difficultly Jump with the Elite 4 and Cynthia in particular cought a lot of Trainers (including myself) completely off guard and I’m glad! It’s almost as if ILCA told Game Freak ( Hey! should we keep the Elite Four and Cynthia as is? Then Game Freak Suddenly Remembers all the Fans saying Too Easy Too Easy Too Easy then tells ILCA… Mix it up a bit and MAKE IT HARD! ) In a way this could be GF’s way at getting back at those Fans. Personally I’m Glad they did it! And with the Rematches too.

It would have used the Sword/Shield game engine, Dynamax - possibly in the underground, and much better hitboxes to prevent the stickyness of player/pokemon and edges of the map.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I doubt it'd have been much better. ORAS and LGPE had a lot of the same issues BDSP did and those were made by Game Freak. We'd have had an artstyle similar to SwSh and we might've had things like Megas, Sinnohan variants, or other types of forms, but other than that this game seems to be roughly how Game Freak would've done it themselves. ORAS has already established that they don't seem to care about including third version features and with the advanced HD graphics, I wouldn't have been surprised if we didn't see any big new feature equivalent to Dexnav, Soaring, and Mirage Spots either. They might not have bothered throwing in the 5th-8th gen Pokemon because of Dexit and because they did the same thing with LGPE. Outsourcing the game to ILCA isn't why this game became too safe (although it sure didn't help), the problem started long before then back with ORAS and it just got worse and worse.

Karnine

Master Zoroark
BD an SP are great actually. It brings back memory's of the Orginal D an P on 3ds man it's like I am playing it all over again

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually think BDSP are much better than their original games as the Fairy type being added allows Pokémon like Clefable and Azumarill to be even better than before as they had stats that were good but both had a common weakness that could easily take them out with one powerful STAB move. Now they last longer and make Spiritomb shiver in fear (not that Spiritomb is any less strong as it once was). And the Underground connecting to the internet should have been in the original games. Just make it like Uni9n Room except you don’t trade and can enter other players’ Secret Bases. It would have made getting that one star for the Trainer Card and activating the Spiritomb event much easier. I also find making Poffins less stressful as the Joy Con can sense motion speed much better and you have better control than you did with a stylus which would cramp up your hand after a few batches.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I think they'd be no different, if I'm being honest. I'm pretty sure Game Freak still had say in how these games were directed despite it being directly handled by another studio. Masuda was still one of the directors for this game. Only thing I could honestly see being different is maybe the art style, and that's about it. These games were still handled by Game Freak in some way, just not developed by them.

Ascended Dialga

Here's my impression:
- The overworld human models would be proportioned as in Sword and Shield, or at least as in Let's Go
- You would be able to turn the Exp Share on and off
- TMs would be reusable
- They would have Platinum's regional Pokédex plus Sylveon and regional variants, and the key trainers would have their Platinum teams
- Some, if not all, Pokémon from post-Gen 4 would be available
- Dynamax would return. Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon would have Gigantamax forms
- The Pokétch would be updated (or at least have two buttons)
- Certain key characters like Cyrus and Cynthia would have all of the additional writing and development that Platinum gave to them
- There would be a Giratina/Distortion World story-line in the post-game (but knowing Game Freak's current MO, this would probably be $30 DLC or something)
- There would still be no Battle Frontier

Last edited: