• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How difficult is the main story of any Pokemon Game for you?

Difficulty of Main series Pokemon games?

• Very Easy (Difficulty 1/5)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Easy (Difficutly 2/5)

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Average (Difficulty 3/5)

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Hard (Difficulty 4/5)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Hard (Difficulty 5/5)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard to Explain (Difficulty ?/5)

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

(Well) Then

It's Lesson Time!
How Difficult would you consider any one Main series Pokemon game? (R/B/Y/G/S/C/Ru/S/E/D/P/Pt/HG/SS/FR/LG)

Difficulty being subjective, I'd suggest giving it the difficulty of your first time through any main series game. training style, legendaries, I don't care. Just give me your difficulty.

Tf5174

I played every single main series pokemon games and all of them were easy.

I remember my first games at Red back then to be fairly tough.. Had a team of 6 Pokémon for the first Badge but all of them around lvl. 9-10 (with my starter a li'l higher). But now it's basically a walk in the park, I'm a bit more patient during the training of my Pokés so they're always 5-10 levels above the next Gym Leader.. Only the E4 still causes some "problem" cause I never have enough Ether/Elixir...

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I remember Red and Crystal were fairly easy. Fire Red was moderately challenging (though second time round, the E4 are just deadly if you're unprepared). When I played Sapphire the first time round, the E4 were just average at best, but I remember on my first Ruby playthrough, I had some serious problems with Drake and I lost the League a few times. (Came back with a Walrein :D).

Diamond was, once again, a decent challenge; same with Platinum. In fact, my second time in Diamond was tougher than my first, since I wasn't as high leveled and my Pokemon weren't really the strongest - so it took quite a while getting past Cynthia. Actually, if you don't train properly or are ignorant about type matchups, etc. all the game are fairly hard, comparatively very challenging in fact - I noticed this watching one of my friends play, who's somewhat new to the games.

Now, HGSS, imo, is the toughest game till date. That still doesn't mean it's a very tough game, but by Pokemon standards, the thing can be called hard. You'll definitely run into problems with a few of the Gym leaders, if you haven't been grinding endlessly, because really - there's just no good place to train before you beat Clair and catch Ho-oh. So, the Gym Leaders levels will be quite high and battles won't be pushovers (Morty, Clair and to an extent, Chuck are probably the most dangerous.) The E4 isn't all that strong, but Lance is definitely dangerous if you're unprepared for his Dragons. Kanto gyms are OK I guess, but the true test is against the second round E4.

No, wait. Scratch that. It's Red. Yeah, the strongest trainer in Pokemon makes for the toughest boss battle, especially if you play without items (or limit them) and put the battle Mode on "set".

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
It's easy if you know about the game well, you know, about type advantages, moves and stuff. But then back when I was a complete rookie, I played Gold version and at first the only Pokemon I trained was Typhlosion yet I still managed to win all the gym...

Indragon

Back in the USSR
It's easy if you know about the game well, you know, about type advantages, moves and stuff. But then back when I was a complete rookie, I played Gold version and at first the only Pokemon I trained was Typhlosion yet I still managed to win all the gym...

Same here; my first time on Crystal, the only Pokemon I really trained was Typhlosion, and it was about Lv. 65 by the time I reached the League. I managed to catch Suicune too and I had planned on training the Dratini too, but I didn't bother eventually. Pity, a friend of mine deleted that save, I wonder if I could have won the League. Probably not :p

The games are easy if you're a long time fan, but for newcomers, it can actually be quite tough.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
I find it really simple. But then again, like the dude above me says, I'm a long time fan. So I catch on pretty quickly. I started back in the G/S/C days in my youth.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Same here; my first time on Crystal, the only Pokemon I really trained was Typhlosion, and it was about Lv. 65 by the time I reached the League. I managed to catch Suicune too and I had planned on training the Dratini too, but I didn't bother eventually. Pity, a friend of mine deleted that save, I wonder if I could have won the League. Probably not :p

The games are easy if you're a long time fan, but for newcomers, it can actually be quite tough.

That makes 2 of us, I lost my save file on that game too before I could reach the league and I'm totally agree that rookie will find the game (somehow) difficult.

Trainer_Jason

I beat my Platinum Version in 2 months. I beat my SoulSilver Version in 6 days.
And most surprising of all, I beat my FireRed Version in 2 days!
The games are very easy to me.

SapphireGeno

Silver forever <3
Well for most part the games are easy, even though they can be a little challenging at points.

I guess according to the poll, the Pokemon games are around 2/5.

Last edited:
I put Average and the reason being that when i first played Blue i had a guide so the storyline part was easy and finding my way around but i still lost to some gyms and the elite four.

Now, i find the storyline, training and battles easy, i pretty much completed storyline of SS in about 10 days with grinding involved at certain stages. So in general without taking any extras the game offers into account the game is easy and at time VERY easy.

However the optional bits including the battle frontier, pokeathlon, competive battling, Contests, Battle Tower, Shiny hunting, Breeding all take a bit more time to get the hang of, more time spent on each and can be quite difficult depending on the way you play.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
about 2-3 out of 5, though I choose 3 because I am using mostly 1st pokemons like a chikorita. Yellow is the hardest one for me. Ranking seperatedly, it will be 5/5 mainly on Koga and Sabrina. Otherwise Yellow is 4/5.

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
My first game, Sapphire was challenging as I was only 8 and the only Pokemon I had that was above lv:35 was my lv:100 Sceptile and since the Elite 4 went Dark/Ghost/Ice/Dragon/Steel-Rock it was pretty challenging(Still have my amazing Sceptile that won me them battles, Moveset:Leaf Blade/Rock Tomb/Return/False Swipe).

All the games since then I have found the main story easy. I complete most in 8-12hours(Sapphire took me 212hours).

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
First time?

I couldn't beat Blue!

But the first time I ever beat a game was when I sweeped Crystal with a Feraligatr, very little challenge, sooooo... 2/5.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
I'll admitt that Red version was pretty difficult for me. I would often get lost or couldn't figure out where to go next. That could have been due to my age. Regardless, I didn't defeat the league in this game until years after getting it. Gold & Silver were easier for me. Sapphire was no trouble at all. Diamond and Platinum were a breeze.