• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do Pokemon Use Special Attacks?

Do Pokemon use Magic to use Special based attacks?

• Total voters

Mew The Gato

Magic: Magic is technically synonymous mystery, which means anything that we do not know about. In this logic, each person has a different amount of Magic in their lives, that is, the less the knowledge, the more the Magic. In this sense, it would mean that the knowledge of the whole human race is vastly outweighed by Magic.

Science: ​Which word is synonymous with Science? That is right, Technology. Now, many people think that Technology is just gadgets, robots, etc. However, that is not it. Technology includes all techniques. It even includes knowledge, so Science is technically anything that we know about. In this sense, it is the polar opposite of Magic.

However, without any of the above, the world will not work. Can we do anything without knowing anything? No. All the same, if we know everything, the world will become dull, as there would be nothing else to learn. Though I love Magic, I would still like to change it a little for Science, through this question :-

How Do Pokemon Use Special Attacks?

By special attacks, I mean attacks like Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Water Pulse, etc. Some of these have Pokemon generating energy. The most solid proof for this fact is this :- In the Anime, Ash's Grotle accidentally swallowed its own Energy Ball. This gave it a huge energy boost. So, how does this prove anything? If Grotle had used its own energy to make the Energy Ball, it would not have received the energy boost by swallowing it, because it would have the same energy it would have had before using Energy Ball if it had used its own energy. By energy, I mean power. This means that it generated energy.

So, how will you explain this scientifically?

EDIT:

All questions have to be answered from In Universe Perspective. Everything else is spam here.

Last edited:

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Well, in the GAMES pokemon have PP, and it serves as the energy to attack.

I remember reading a neat article maybe 10 years ago (OMG IM OLD) where char-family have some sort of biological things in their mouth that does a tiny spark to ignite their natural...gas?

Water pokemon I can see just storing water (like a camel). Now, the AMOUNT of water is not important, but the force sent out. So hydro pump sounds very wet, but probably more pressure based.

As for your grotle example, I think he transformed his latent energy into active energy. Imagine you have ingredients to bake a cake, do they taste good in part? No, they need to be combined. Grotle MAYBE just took latent energy, focused it, created the ball, then absorbed the byproduct of whatever energy he used.

I can go on, but we would have to analyze every move XD

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm pretty sure Pokémon are using a magical sort of energy power, so I voted yes by saying "magic".
Most of their moves are out of the usual, that's a point. Look here how Oshawott is making a Hydro Pump. Water goes out of its fingers (or hands) while it's flashing in a blue color and creates a big cercle where water comes out of it. To me, this is a form of energy that only Pokémon can use to create their moves, and not only the special. Creating a Fire Punch, for example. The fire needs to be created before punching. A simple fist cannot do fire by its own, normally.
Other moves, like Water Gun or Thunderbolt, for you, comes from their inner body ? I think you're actually wrong. The amount of energy that is unleashed by any move is too much for a simple Pokémon. Same goes for a move such as Razor Leaf. Look at the leaf on top of Leavanny. It's glowing and unleashing out of nowhere leaves, wich is actually impossible for it to do that by its own ressources, like a water type would do, by your logic, with the amount of water on its body. If Grotle is creating an Energy ball, in that case, I think magical powers are more shown for that type of move. We can confirmed that the bushes on top of it are helping it to create that ball, by a mysterious way. And for more physical and discrete moves such as Brick Break, I think the move is in need of that energy once again. Hitting with a normal fist wouldn't do fighting type damages. That glowing white light is helping Pignite (in that case) to hit with the type that Pignite was looking for.

Maybe you'll find this crazy (well, I do), but energy that comes to the attacks could come out from another dimension. If you look at Sigilyph using Mirror Move, it seems like it is opening an entrance, a portal that unleashes Pikachu's Thunderbolt strike back.

So to resume my point, I think Pokémon are able to use freely of a magical power. This power can be use whenever they want to create a move that need some and by the type the move is.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

I remember reading a neat article maybe 10 years ago (OMG IM OLD) where char-family have some sort of biological things in their mouth that does a tiny spark to ignite their natural...gas?

Water pokemon I can see just storing water (like a camel). Now, the AMOUNT of water is not important, but the force sent out. So hydro pump sounds very wet, but probably more pressure based.

As for your grotle example, I think he transformed his latent energy into active energy. Imagine you have ingredients to bake a cake, do they taste good in part? No, they need to be combined. Grotle MAYBE just took latent energy, focused it, created the ball, then absorbed the byproduct of whatever energy he used.

I can go on, but we would have to analyze every move XD

However, how does energy exist in the form of Energy Ball, etc? How does the Pokemon focus the energy in that shape, especially without even touching it?

This leads to the point that all Pokemon may have telekinetic powers in some form or the other, to defy laws of nature and performing miracles beyond belief. However, telekinetic powers are supernatural, too.

A simple fist cannot do fire by its own, normally.

Friction can actually create heat.

However, how does the Pokemon create so much friction...? Can Pokemon control their molecules, to rub them together to create friction at such a fast rate?
Some Pokemon can control their molecules, as when using Acid Armor.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Okay then. I usually try to come up with scientific explanations for Pokemon moves so......

Water moves- I think water Pokemon absorb the humidity around them and expel it in the form of moves like water gun, hydro-pump etc. It explains why water moves are more powerful in rain and less in harsh sunlight, as the humidity increases or decreases during these conditions.

Psychic moves- psychic Pokemon amplify their brainwaves and use it to move things? I can't really think of a good explanation for this. Same for ghost. :/

Electric- This is already explained in many pokedex entries. Most Electric Pokemon seem to generate static electricity using their fur, and then discharge it at the opponent.

I'll think of more explanations later. As for the energy ball thing, I think the sphere would be the most stable shape for releasing energy.

Mew The Gato

Water moves- I think water Pokemon absorb the humidity around them and expel it in the form of moves like water gun, hydro-pump etc. It explains why water moves are more powerful in rain and less in harsh sunlight, as the humidity increases or decreases during these conditions.

Psychic moves- psychic Pokemon amplify their brainwaves and use it to move things? I can't really think of a good explanation for this. Same for ghost. :/

Electric- This is already explained in many pokedex entries. Most Electric Pokemon seem to generate static electricity using their fur, and then discharge it at the opponent.

I'll think of more explanations later. As for the energy ball thing, I think the sphere would be the most stable shape for releasing energy.

Water - If the Pokemon take in humidity, then Water Type Moves should be weaker in a Sandstorm, too.

Psychic - As I said, telekinetic powers are supernatural. It is like a doppelganger, which are created due to a person's willpower. ( I read this somewhere )

As you can see, I am supporting both Science and Magic. I am providing my counter views for everyone's theories. As such, I did not vote in the poll.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
My headcanon explanation for this is way out of left field, but it makes sense to me. I like to think that the Pokémon universe is filled with a sort of omnipresent "energy" that Pokémon can absorb an convert into a raw element for the purpose of their attacks.

So basically, it's spiral power (for anyone who's familiar with Gurren Lagann).

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
I agree with endolise, drawing chi, aura or whatever would work.
Or maybe from the bacteria in the air.
Hydro pump, it could also be extracting hydrogen and oxygen from nearby surrondings.
Also every point here is logical.

Ditto B1tch

No, it is not magic, it is energy. Energy can be stored and converted into other kind of energies. This is my theory about your thread and about your example of Grotle.

Elnava

The Successor!
I voted No, however I thought about it and concluded that, yes it would be classified as magic if your definition of magic is something unexplained by science. My main reasoning for this is Surf, Sunny Day, Frenzy Plant, etc. Thechniques in which the pokemon are not in contact with the move and would therefore have no way to control it outside of telekinesis, which is supernatural in itself.

Cutty

Forever now
I voted Magic, they can create something out of thin air.

Mew The Gato

Also every point here is logical.

If Hydro Pump were extracting hydrogen and oxygen from the air, it would have had been weaker in high up places like the top of Mt. Silver and Mt. Coronet.

My headcanon explanation for this is way out of left field, but it makes sense to me. I like to think that the Pokémon universe is filled with a sort of omnipresent "energy" that Pokémon can absorb an convert into a raw element for the purpose of their attacks.

So basically, it's spiral power (for anyone who's familiar with Gurren Lagann).

No, it is not magic, it is energy. Energy can be stored and converted into other kind of energies. This is my theory about your thread and about your example of Grotle.

So, how do they convert the energy? The human body cannot do this. Nor can any animals do so. I mean they can convert energy, but not to this degree. How will you explain this biologically?

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
You can't explain this with our science because our science doesn't apply to Pokemon. Look at all the Pokemon that float or even just Psychic Pokemon. None of it can really be explained by science because it's a completely different universe.

Mew The Gato

You can't explain this with our science because our science doesn't apply to Pokemon. Look at all the Pokemon that float or even just Psychic Pokemon. None of it can really be explained by science because it's a completely different universe.

That is exactly why I asked this question, so that we can come up with an explanation.

RzK

Meow
Pokemon is Pokemon. Where monsters are kept in balls, where people worship a space horse, and the anime goes even further with Ash having carried ridiculously heavy Pokémon on his head and back like Larvitar and Hippopotas. So imo it is not really easy to explain the attacks Pokémon use. We have seen at least through the anime and Pokédex entries that there ARE animals in the Pokémon world. And I guess Pokémon are differentiated from animals due to their possession of abilities like Pyrokinesis, etc. In short, Pokémon use magic, sort of, imo.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Let's tackle the obvious ones first. Hydro Pump users take in moisture from the air. Psychic attacks do use a degree of magic, I guess. Now for the more complicated ones. A move like flamethrower is powered up in the sun. This leads me to believe that, much like solar beam, the fire types draw energy from the sun, in this case, heat energy. This energy is then converted into flames by the Pokemon's amazing biological system. This would also explain why in the rain, where there are clouds covering the sun, fire moves are much weaker.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Let's tackle the obvious ones first. Hydro Pump users take in moisture from the air. Psychic attacks do use a degree of magic, I guess. Now for the more complicated ones. A move like flamethrower is powered up in the sun. This leads me to believe that, much like solar beam, the fire types draw energy from the sun, in this case, heat energy. This energy is then converted into flames by the Pokemon's amazing biological system. This would also explain why in the rain, where there are clouds covering the sun, fire moves are much weaker.

Hydro Pump - Then Hydro Pump should we weaker in a Sandstorm, too.

Flamethrower - Then why is it not weaker at night?

I am countering everyone's answers, since I want to find an answer that I cannot counter. That will be the real explanation. I will criticize the explanations until they become perfect.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
So, how do they convert the energy? The human body cannot do this. Nor can any animals do so. I mean they can convert energy, but not to this degree. How will you explain this biologically?

Simple; they have natural biological receptors that can filter in the energy from the field. I assume that they would have developed these uniformly because the energy field may also function as a morphic field which transmits evolutionary traits across generations and dictates biology for all life forms.

Additionally, I think that humans can use the energy as well, at least to a limited extent. We know that humans can use aura and that there are others with psychic abilities; those would be examples of humans tapping into the field.

Mew The Gato

Simple; they have natural biological receptors that can filter in the energy from the field. I assume that they would have developed these uniformly because the energy field may also function as a morphic field which transmits evolutionary traits across generations and dictates biology for all life forms.

Additionally, I think that humans can use the energy as well, at least to a limited extent. We know that humans can use aura and that there are others with psychic abilities; those would be examples of humans tapping into the field.

Theory Time: The humans in the Pokemon World may actually be special. I noticed that the Sinnoh Myths say that Pokemon and humans were once the same. There was nothing to differentiate the two. This suggests that they had a common ancestor and that the 'humans' are not really homo sapiens.

As for Pokemon, you can see that 'Rock Wrecker' and some other moves come from a portal. I doubt that the energy could be so concentrated by the Pokemon's bodies that they are able to open portals. This is yet to be explained.

Another thing that I noticed. The 'evolution' in Pokemon is more like metamorphosis. I mean, evolution takes millions of years and I doubt that it could be sped up so much. It is understandable that mild changes come with maturity, but some Pokemon change dramatically, like Eevee.

Along with that, how do Ditto and Mew change their entire cellular structure to use Transform? This might also count for Smeargle, who can also learn it using Sketch.

Last edited: