• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do the Battle Towers and Frontiers Stay Open?

Ever since the first Battle Tower in Crystal, and to this day with the Battle Frontier in HeartGold and SoulSilver (and I suspect it's the same way in Black and White), there has been no charge to participate in battles. How does this work? These expansive, well-maintained attractions must need money to continue operating. What are your thoughts?

I have only a few suggestions on how they stay open:

• There may be some wealthy donor (or several donors) who finance the battling facilities. In Emerald, Scott may have been such a person considering the game seems to imply he is rich.
  • Spectators may pay to watch matches. HeartGold and SoulSilver make it clear that there are spectators for the Pokéathlon, but you are allowed to just waltz in without any kind of ticket window or anything like that. However, in the Battle Hall, there is an audience which the player cannot join, adding to this possibility. Furthermore, the different battle facilities might have concession stands/vendors who could sell snacks and stuff to help generate revenue.

Grei

not the color
Well, how can Pokemon Centers stay open when all they do is cater to the needs of Trainers (even moreso in the anime, where Pokemon Centers double as Inns with food and electricity and supplies and whatnot) for no charge?

I think, in the Pokemon World, people are just kinder and are more willing to perform charitable things. I'm sure a hypothetical "Poketopian Government" or whatever funds things like the Pokemon Centers, Battle Frontiers, etc.

Alternatively, maybe each battle donates some money to keep each building/attraction open, similar to how participating in a charity mile-run will donate money even though you aren't required to supply any. For Pokemon Centers, the more people they get, the more funding they attain, which allows them to stay open (and shuts down those few buildings that don't get many visitors).

And if those explanations fail, game logic works too

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
And how do NPC's stand there for so long?

...and oh yeah, this belongs in the 'Things in Pokemon that Don't Make Sense' thread.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
How does the Pokemon world have such advanced technologies without any forms of schools, universities, and research facilities (at least I haven't come across one of them)?

How does the Pokemon center provide free health care for Pokemon? Moreso in the anime, they provide free food, shelter to anyone who is a trainer and has a valid trainer's ID.

Yeah, there are so many other unanswered questions. But to answer your question, it could be that the audience are paying to watch the battles, or there is a central Pokemon organization (like the UN) that promotes Pokemon and accept donation, or it is a government funded thing.

randomspot555

How does the Pokemon world have such advanced technologies without any forms of schools, universities, and research facilities (at least I haven't come across one of them)?

Pokemon certainly has schools. And because it's Pokemon, what they teach is Pokemon. You're exposed to the world that is focused on Pokemon. If you were coming at it from another perspective, you'd probably see all this typical city/town/nation crap.

No research facility? Do you miss the regional Professor's lab in every single game?

How does the Pokemon center provide free health care for Pokemon? Moreso in the anime, they provide free food, shelter to anyone who is a trainer and has a valid trainer's ID.

Who said it's free? Sure, the trainers don't pay for it, but the money does have to come from somewhere. But does it ultimately matter? It doesn't add anything to the storyline in either the anime or the games.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Pokemon certainly has schools. And because it's Pokemon, what they teach is Pokemon. You're exposed to the world that is focused on Pokemon. If you were coming at it from another perspective, you'd probably see all this typical city/town/nation crap.

No research facility? Do you miss the regional Professor's lab in every single game?

Talk about missing the point. My concern wasn't about Pokemon schools or about Pokemon research facilities. You can look at them this way - they're analogous to our world's veterinary school and veterinary research facilities/clinics. My concern was about the existing ultra-advanced technologies in the Pokemon universe. Engineering must be very advanced since the buildings, bridges, highways, ships, boats, etc. are very high end. Science, research and development in the Pokemon world has reached to the extreme level compared to ours since characters can teleport with ease. Even if a trainer captures a Pokemon that exceeds the limit the number of Pokemon they can carry at a certain point of time, the overlimit Pokemon (no matter how big of a size it is) automatically gets transported to a designated computer. How cool and advanced is that? Apart from the Pokemon related schools, universities, research facilities there must be some other of those things that contribute to the cutting edge technologies of the Pokemon universe. I'm pretty sure the brilliant people responsible behind such advanced technologies aren't dropped by the god (or in this case, Arceus) from heaven.

Who said it's free? Sure, the trainers don't pay for it, but the money does have to come from somewhere. But does it ultimately matter? It doesn't add anything to the storyline in either the anime or the games.

No they don't add anything to the storyline whatsoever, but curiosity does arise.

iraqmaster

I always assume that the battle frontier was open during the summer months, such as from June until august..

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
people have to pay for admission to watch the battle and stuffs. facilities should be open every day. better if the whole day so even the nightowls can battle too. ok what the heck i am saying?

well it is like watching sports that aren't boring so people will keep coming in to watch. In a pokemon world, what else can you do there?

Neon-Snorlax702

hmm... i supose, the pokemon centers stay open because is the police/law closed them, well pokemon would be unable to revive because trainers would soon run out of money.

There is a trainer school in the reigons willing to learn people can then become proffessors like prof oak, birch..

and when you see the TV in the homes, and the lights.. they must pay taxes/bills and the pokemarts must donate change! :-D

plenum42

Here are my theories
1. It is treated as a seperate country and BP are currency.
2. The people are battling through just like you, or me. And the brains are just there because they like having the status, volunteering, just like the champion and the elite four(although, there is a difference, because these guys actually make money pwning trainers.
Besides, the places are probably sponsored by different companies and billionaires.