• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do the Characters Reflect Gen IV's Themes?

Do the Characters of DPPt Reflect Gen IV's Themes?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
As we all know, the main themes of Gen IV were mythology and the creation of the universe. That being said, while the various locations & pokémon of the Sinnoh region do a great job reflecting this theme, lately I'm trying to figure out how they relate to the characters of Gen IV & their overall arcs.

Looking at Gens 5-8 as examples of what I'm talking about:
  • N realizing that humans & pokémon need to co-exist, or how Cheren & Bianca reflect different view points
  • Hop wanting to desperately beat his brother Leon & become the Galar champion
  • Lysandre wanting to destroy the world to make it beautiful again, or the friends/wannabe rivals reflecting the themes of strong bonds (and "text only" necessity for mega evolution)
  • Lillie growing up through her experiences and interactions with everyone in Alola
When looking at Gen IV, the only characters who I can see reflecting the themes of mythology are Cyrus because his nihilism comes from studying the myths and legends, and Cynthia for wanting to learn more about Sinnoh's past. However, I'm not really sure how these themes reflect any of the other characters in Gen IV.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the characters of Pokémon DPPt fit the themes of mythology, please feel free to share.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I can't think of that many characters that fit the mythos or narrative of Gen IV that well. Shirona (Cynthia) probably comes closest since she studied the legends of the Shinou region, and Akagi (Cyrus) was also educated in those legends if I remember correctly. But those are the only noteworthy examples that I can think of. And speaking of the narrative, I wish that Gen IV had its own version of Higana (Zinnia) who could tie the legends of Shinou and Jouto together.

TwilightBlade

Team Galactic fit the space/time/anti-matter theme that the Sinnoh dragon trio had going on so that sort of works doesn't it? Sinnoh's mythology was so complex now that I think about it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
Team Galactic fit the space/time/anti-matter theme that the Sinnoh dragon trio had going on so that sort of works doesn't it? Sinnoh's mythology was so complex now that I think about it.

The organization was at least consistent with the theme of the Shinou box cover mascots, although I noticed that only Akagi (Cyrus) seemed to know about the legends surrounding the space-time trio, while the regular members and commanders were practically clueless and simply followed his lead.

jaden767

Amphetamine
My answer is no because only having a couple of characters who are dedicated to the mythological theme of the generation isn't enough.

Charon or Looker should have added to that in Platinum instead of being a typical mad scientist and a detective, respectively.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
Charon or Looker should have added to that in Platinum instead of being a typical mad scientist and a detective, respectively.

Pluto (Charon) would've actually been a great tie-in with the Shinou region's mythology, but instead he only got a small subplot involving Heatran and another one that involved Rotom, although the latter was such a small side event that I barely consider it important.