• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do the Legendary Dogs fit into the 3rd Generation timeline

Blazing Charmander

How do the Legendary Dogs fit into the 3rd Generation timeline?

As you all know, we are able to encounter and capture Raikou, Entei and Suicune in FireRed and LeafGreen (only one per file depending on your starter, of course). However, since thinking about the chronology of Pokemon games and the events within them, i've become curious about what caused the trio to bolt around Kanto post-Elite 4.

Maybe i'm reading into it too much, but the mythology of GSC makes it clear that Raikou, Entei and Suicune perished in the fire of the Brass Tower and were later resurrected and reincarnated by Ho-oh. Some time in the future (i.e. the time that the game is set), Gold/Kris awaken the trio in the tower and they scurry off around the routes of Johto. Now, seeing as GSC are set three years later than R/B/Y and FR/LG + R/S/E, it makes me wonder why one of the trio would be in Kanto when, presumably they are resting in the Burnt Tower.

While I see the logic behind, say the Legendary Birds (Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres) roaming Sinnoh as they migrated there after their nests were disturbed by the protagonists of R/B/Y and FR/LG, it's interesting to ponder what caused Raikou/Entei/Suicune to go to Kanto before scarpering back to Johto in time for GSC's story.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Salam3nc3

The Ghost Inside
I think you need to stop worrying about what pokemon fit where and just play the game -__-

You do have a good point though.

Blazing Charmander

Lol. Well I do play through the games just for fun, but I also have an interest in the storyline as well and how every game links together chronologically. Unfortunately for me, i've gotten to an age where I can not only enjoy the games for monsters destroying each other, but I also find myself now being inquisitive about the underlying story.

Either way, I guess a possible answer to my question is simply that there could be more than one of each Legendary dog. However, by taking into account the mythology in GSC, i'd like to think there is only one of each. If that is so, there's got to be some reason why one of them decided to roam around Kanto. All we can do about the matter right now is speculate, but maybe a future game will reveal why.

Salam3nc3

The Ghost Inside
Lol. Well I do play through the games just for fun, but I also have an interest in the storyline as well and how every game links together chronologically. Unfortunately for me, i've gotten to an age where I can not only enjoy the games for monsters destroying each other, but I also find myself now being inquisitive about the underlying story.

Either way, I guess a possible answer to my question is simply that there could be more than one of each Legendary dog. However, by taking into account the mythology in GSC, i'd like to think there is only one of each. If that is so, there's got to be some reason why one of them decided to roam around Kanto. All we can do about the matter right now is speculate, but maybe a future game will reveal why.

I don't think the makers of the Pokemon games cared about story much... They probably shoved the legendary dogs in there as another reason for the consumer to purchase the game.

Also, when a game progresses into later stages, you like to see some old material in the new games too. People like games that have selection.

Rashdan

[Insert Wacky Title]
They don't care about the story? On the contrary, I think they do, or at least, they care about the main plot, and not the side plots that come into the main plot from an alternate timeline.

Cordelia

I think that it's a non-canon, force-as-much-post-Gen-1-into-FR/LG-as-freakin-possible attempt, a la Sevii Islands.

Salam3nc3

The Ghost Inside
They don't care about the story? On the contrary, I think they do, or at least, they care about the main plot, and not the side plots that come into the main plot from an alternate timeline.

The main story has been the same for about every game. You're a kid and you fight your way through gyms to reach your goal of becoming pokemon league champion.

Everything else is basically side-plots and mini-games.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Well I figure that there are multiple legendaries, especially when it comes to the beasts (the games do say that Entei is born whenever a volcano erupts; I figure that Raikou are born out of incredibly bad thunderstorms and Suicune are born from floods). The whole 'multiple legendaries' thing comes from the idea that each legendary is sort of a force of nature, and when a trainer captures them, a new one is born to compensate... at least, that's what I tell myself. XP

Blazing Charmander

Well I figure that there are multiple legendaries, especially when it comes to the beasts (the games do say that Entei is born whenever a volcano erupts; I figure that Raikou are born out of incredibly bad thunderstorms and Suicune are born from floods). The whole 'multiple legendaries' thing comes from the idea that each legendary is sort of a force of nature, and when a trainer captures them, a new one is born to compensate... at least, that's what I tell myself. XP

Hmm, I guess that the Pokedex would've been helpful here. Those Pokedex entries do seem to imply that there are more than one of each legendary dog. For example, the Entei roaming around in these games may not be the one from GSC, but one that was born from an eruption from Cinnabar's volcano.

Interesting. :)

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Well it only talks about the birth of Entei; I just made up the other two myself...

Salam3nc3

The Ghost Inside
Well it only talks about the birth of Entei; I just made up the other two myself...

If it happened to Entei it would be logical for it to happen to Suicune and Raikou as well.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
If it happened to Entei it would be logical for it to happen to Suicune and Raikou as well.

That's what I figure, but they never explain how they're born, so I figure they're just born from natural disasters like Entei is.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Oh god, Entei's pokedex entry. That one was a laugh. Why?

One pokedex entry says that an Entei is born everytime a volcano erupts.

Yet another pokedex entry states that a volcano erupts everytime Entei roars.

Not only that, but Entei learns the move Roar.

Anyways, I imagine the Legendary Dogs were thrown in as a little Easter Egg. You'll notice that unlike the Legendary Birds in Platinum, nobody talks about them.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I too think that there are multiple legendary dogs and it would make sense for Raikou and Suicune to be born during natural disasters as Entei is. That, or the creators just put them in to make people want to get the game for the dogs.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I too think that there are multiple legendary dogs and it would make sense for Raikou and Suicune to be born during natural disasters as Entei is. That, or the creators just put them in to make people want to get the game for the dogs.

I honestly don't think they thought out what the Dogs effect would have on the story, But that isn't to say they don't care about the story. I am completely convinced that they were put there to try and sedate all of the fans who want 2nd generation remakes so badly.(Myself included)

The same goes for the Sevii Islands.

mudkip master

Surf's up Mudkip
they don't fit in to the story line they just put them in there so people who don't own a gamecube could get them.

Chaos Rush

The timeline presumably goes like this:

1. 2004 -Both FireRed/LeafGreen & Ruby/Sapphire reference the existance of the GameBoy Advance, and the Nintendo GameCube. Also there's no silly time machine to trade between R/S/E and FR/LG, and in FR/LG one NPC says that she traded with her "boyfriend that lives in Hoenn". That means that FR/LG & R/S/E take place at the same time. SO...Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres originated from Kanto, and since Ho-oh & Lugia are at Navel Rock at this time, that means that Ho-oh must have awakened the legendary beasts.

2. 2007 -Well, G/S/C takes place 3 years after R/S/E & FR/LG, meaning that it would be around 2007 (Actually, it could be any year, as long as its 3 years after the other games). D/P/Pt most likely takes place at the same time as G/S/C, because I'm assuming in HG/SS, there won't be any stupid time machine to trade with D/P/Pt. At this time, Ho-oh awakened the legendary beasts 3 years ago, and they kept running around in Kanto, then Johto, and supposedly they fell asleep at the Brass Tower in Eckruteak. Ho-oh and Lugia flew away from Navel Rock, and are supposedly flying around Johto until the player obtains the respective wing (Rainbow Wing, Silver Wing). At this time, the 3 legendary birds flew away from Kanto, and then began roaming Sinnoh for some unexplained reason.

So basically, everything would fit that way, the only thing that's unexplained is whatever the hell the birds are doing in Sinnoh.

charigod

charizard tamer
they just to fill you dex seeing how you cant trade with g/s/c