• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do You Build Your In-Game Teams?

Kyro12

HiddenAmongstShadows
I always choose thngs that can cover the gym leaders and E4. I also try to get Fire, Grass, and Water all in my team. A flyer(if I like any of the fying Pokemon) and usually no legendary..

So, how do you build your team?

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Well, I don't separate my in-game team and my competitive teams. I try to keep them the same.

I usually try to cover my rock-paper-scissors; Fire-Water-Grass and Dark-Fighting-Psychic. And I always want to have a flyer.

And then I go look up and down the available Pokemon list and look for something I would want to train. Sometimes I'll catch something at random and I'll change the planned party.

And right now, in my latest Black playthrough, I've got certain Pokemon on rotation, that way I can use a lot of what I like, and still train them. It's a little tiring, but so far it's good.

Kyro12

HiddenAmongstShadows
Yeah, I sometimes change my Pokemon on the fly. In Platinum I ended up getting Rotom haha.

Black Frost

aka. SHAOTANZHITEN
New generations: I try out a number of different Pokémon and keep those that I like most.

Old generations: I try out Pokémon I haven't used before.

Regardless of the game, I try to keep a good variety of types, I don't like having two of the same type on my team.

Bulletproof

Self explanatory.
I always choose thngs that can cover the gym leaders and E4. I also try to get Fire, Grass, and Water all in my team. A flyer(if I like any of the fying Pokemon) and usually no legendary..

So, how do you build your team?
Fire type are a real pain to get in 4th gen. Rapidash & a starter are you only options.
Yeah, I sometimes change my Pokemon on the fly. In Platinum I ended up getting Rotom haha.
In platinum, Rotom is outclassed by every other electric type in the game unless you use one of its forms, via mystery gift.

I usually build my team like this-

Fire or Electric type
Grass type
Water type(though 5th gen had a s****y selection & they usually end up being slaves thanks to overkill water HMs.)
Flyer
Dark, Ghost or Psychic type
Legendary.

My ingame team always goes like this:
A dragon
Starter
Steel type
Electric
Flying
(water, grass or fire depending on starter)

That is how I build them :3

Kyro12

HiddenAmongstShadows
Another thing I do is use unique Pokemon (like using Ratata on HG) I only do that on 2nd or 3rd playthroughs though.

Paradoxe

not actually psychic
I don't battle competitively, so I just use Pokemon I like. My team usually goes like this:

Starter (Usually Fire)
Flying Type
Ice Type
Ghost Type
Psychic Type
Random Type I happen to like

Kyro12

HiddenAmongstShadows
I don't battle competitively, so I just use Pokemon I like. My team usually goes like this:

Starter (Usually Fire)
Flying Type
Ice Type
Ghost Type
Psychic Type
Random Type I happen to like

That whole fire starter and psychic thing would really work out in 4th gen haha

Dragontamer1011

I always make my teams even, good coverage, and train them evenly. A good example was my HG team and my Black team:

HG-v
Feraligatr
Dragonite
Ampharos
Magmorter
Scizor
Hm Slave (Whoever it was)

Black Team-v
Emboar
Archeops
Haxorus
Galvantula
Musharna
Krookodile

Hilijix

Back in Blue
I use Marriland's Team Builder. If you don't know what it is, search it, it tells you strengths and weaknesses.

I try to make my Pokemon team not have over two Pokemon weak to one type, but sometimes it can't be helped. I try to use at least one Pokemon I haven't used before, or in a while. I always make my starter or main Pokemon at last one level higher than the rest.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
At this time of posting, my primary team in Diamond is Infernape, Dialga, Tyranitar, and Staraptor. The other two slots are for evolving purposes or, in battling, some strong Pokémon. So, basically, my starter, the version mascot, a super-strong Pokémon that I bonded with when I was evolving it, and my flier that's pretty good with Close Combat, Roost, Fly, and Brave Bird.

In Black, obviously, in the start of the game, I switched out a lot. The only switching I did after that was replacing Herdier with Archen (I know its ability sucks, but it's still awesome with its massive Attack and Speed!) Unfezant with Reshiram (version mascot!) and Simisage for Zoroark (gimmicky ability FTW!)

I usually try to get a Fire, Electric, a Flyer, and a Psychic. The other two usually depend on the other types (for dual-types) or if I have a Flyer or not. Possibly an HM slave as well.

Grey Wind

I have my starter, a Flyer, a Surfer, and mixed for everything else. I usually pick the Pokemon I like best from the region. Never used a HM slave, didn't bother.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
How do I build my teams you say? Well unlike trainers who believe in status I build my teams solely in my image (that's what Pokemon is all about isn't it?) I only use Pokemon I like and ignore their stats. If however their stats are low I try to give them a more strategic moveset and/or item. As you can see with the Pokemon on my sig I refuse to blend in with other trainers who are obviously just in it to win it and only use the small group of OU and Uber Pokemon! ( Yeah I'm looking at you! Users of the Unova Musketeers and Genies!) Let me ask you all this! Do you use the Pokemon you like or do you use the Pokemon with hi stats!? As said in my sig ( Don't let others define who you are! Only you can define yourself!)

pokemon player

Sylveon, tho.
I find that a fully well-rounded team with nly a few weaknesses are a fire type, a water type, a grass type, a psychic type, a flying type and an electric type. I always try to get all of those, but I usually try to get dual types (e.g. fire/flying or water/psychic), because they free up more spaces for ground or fighting types, which also help a lot. Sometimes, I copletely ignore this tactic and make a team of my favorites.

weakestsauce

Weakest.Sauce.Evar.
I usually start out with the Fire starter (Especially in Diamond. I mean really TWO fire types? I'm calling shenanigans.) Because I LOVE water types so I like to catch one later one (except in Leaf Green. Squirtle forever <3) and I HATE Grass Types (Except for Bellsprout. Victreebell is great. Also, Breloom.) Then from there I usually pick up a ground type (Sandslash, Gastrodon, Donphan, Rhydon), a water type (Gastrodon is Perfect!, Tentacruel, Vaporeon) sometimes an electric type (Pikachu, Jolteon, Magneton), poison type (Muk, Nidoking), a fire type if I didn't choose one as my starter (Ninetales is basicaly it.), a flyer (not usually a team member.), a slave (whom I keep in my party the whole game and take to the Elite 4 just for the lulz.) or anything I like and want to use (Beedrill, Butterfree, Legendaries, etc.) That's just for Gen4 and older. I'm only on my second playthrough of 5th gen so (like any other new pokemon game) I use new pokemon everytime as well as playthrough as each starter. I used Oshawott first and now I'm using Tepig. I'm not looking forward to Snivy though as I have a tendancy to put my grass starter in the box the whole game. (I did that to my Treeko. It was only level 8 when I put it away.)

Golemite

I always go with the Pokémon I like the most. Preferably good or even semi good battlers. I don't want to use legendaries anymore, as I find it stupid that some one random kid collects all the legendaries in every region every time. As if guys like Lance or Cynthia wouldn't be better suited for this mission. They're supposed to be legendary Pokémon, after all, not some monsters you accidentally run across while visiting, say, a Power Plant...

Yeah, Pokémon that I like. I prefer to have at least a Water type and a Flying type (because of good HMs). Lately I've also had a Dragon type in my parties - they're awesome. I've also begun using the region's own Pokémon mostly.

Yoran

I pick the Pokemons I like the most. But I choose them during the game.