• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU counter Garchomp... (Discussion and BRAINSTORM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudo

pretty busy...
A lot of users do not know what a counter is. This saddens me quite a bit. Therefore, since Garchomp is a pokemon a lot of people have problems countering, I have made this thread to help come up with some. Trust me, the number of successful counters will be slim, but with all the smart users on Serebii we can come up with some.

A COUNTER MUST BE ABLE TO SWITCH IN AND POSE A DIRECT THREAT TO THE POKEMON BEING "COUNTERED" WITH LITTLE RISK TO ITSELF.

Examples of poor counters:

-Skarmory is not a counter, because it cannot pose a threat to Garchomp.
-Weavile and Froslass are not counters, because they cannot risk a switch-in.

Smogon University has decided to ban Garchomp to ubers until further notice. When Platinum has come out and the metagame has changed it will be tested again. When it was allowed in OU, Garchomp's usage got as high as being on 65% of teams, so it was "overcentralizing". Because of his new "Uber" Status I have removed all of the non viable Uber sets for him.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
ADAMANT NATURE

Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Swords Dance

Yache Berry makes it impossible to OHKO with Ice Beam, unless backed by STAB and an impressive Special Attack stat. This lowers the amount of potential counters to pretty much nothing, because Garchomp can swords dance without fear. Whoever comes in will have to eat a hit from 788 Attack, twice, before it gets a shot at KOing Garchomp. If you miss either of your Ice Beams, Garchomp can continue it's rampage.

Fairly destructive in Ubers thanks to his respectable Speed stat putting him ahead of all pokemon except for Deoxys, Mewtwo, Darkrai and the Latis. With STAB on the most destructive attacking type in the Ubers metagame, Garchomp has no trouble ripping through teams with Outrage. Surprisingly, most teams only have one pokemon faster than Garchomp so if it can be removed it's pretty easy to sweep.

Lugia with a lot of Speed EVs and Reflect can counter SD Yache Chomp. In fact, it is the only true Garchomp counter in the game, being able to switch in, set up a Reflect, and alternate Roost and Ice Beam until Garchomp is killed.

CB chomp. Literally 2HKOs every pokemon in the game, without setting up.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
16 HP, 252 Atk, 240 Spe

Dragon Claw
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang

Dragon Claw helps pummel your counters early on without leaving you open to Weavile and Mamoswine after. Earthquake and Fire Fang kill steels. Outrage is for later game clean up. Garchomp will likely not use this move unless it knows your entire team. Choice Banded Outrage easily 2HKOs the entire Ubers metagame. Even Lugia is 2HKOed, and actually takes enough damage that it cannot safely set up a Reflect when it switches in.

I would sort of like this thread to die, because there was little to no intelligent discussion at all. Even though I clearly stated in the original post, some users went "tl;dr" and posted crap like "porygon-Z counters chomp". I expected better out of you people. All the information you need is at your fingertips around Serebii.net yet only a couple posters actually did any research, finding out stuff like you need 530 SpA to OHKO Yache Chomp with Ice Beam, and that Cressilia is easily 2HKOed by Swords Danced or Choice Banded Outrage. This is pitiful. The intelligence of this website has gone down so far so quickly. 80% of the people who posted here should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:

Volteon

Back I guess??
Defensive switches are already hard, Hippowdon - aka best physical wall in OU - not only activates Sand Veil, but also gets OHKOed after a single lay of Spikes.

As for offensive switch in - like you said, it has to have over 333 speed, and to pose a threat, it HAS to be able to use an Ice or Dragon move. Choice Band Deoxys-A Super Power fails to KO, Choice Specs Mewtwo Solar Beam does even less.
Examples of neutral moves against Garchomp.
Which makes it very obvious that user HAS to have a super effective move.
These are examples of unSTABed moves, but if STABed, they are still outside OU Pokémon limit.

Garchomp is uncounterable, no one can disagree with this, it can be revenge killed, but counterable, it's not. But even Revenge killable, if sandstorm is active, we can say Garchomp still has 20% chance to win >_>

Predict EQ, switch in articuno, ice beam and hope fire fang doesn't kill. Not much to do. I'm sure there's something we're all over-looking though.

RICH

garchomp is uncounterable its a problem that nintendo says will be addressed in the next gen of games

Volteon

Back I guess??
Predict EQ, switch in articuno, ice beam and hope fire fang doesn't kill. Not much to do. I'm sure there's something we're all over-looking though.
You do know this is uneeded, right? >_>
Articuno doesn't have enough speed to outrun Garchomp even if it's in neutral nature.
Articuno doesn't have moves enough for a Choice Scarf moveset (Movepool consists of 2 useful special moves - Ice Beam, Hidden Power)
Articuno already appears with 50% health because of Stealth Rock - making Outrage an easy KO.

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
Well....it's all very situational. It REALLY depends on the players. If I was the one with the Garchomp, it would not be standard by any means, thus a 'common' counter would be for the most part, fruitless.

OK, I can see why Chomp is so scary in a single battle, I really can. He's a tyrant, a demon, a dragon, must I continue? I assume maybe something bulky, and maybe it doesn't require speed. Remember Mamoswine? Bulk up that HP and DEF and give him Ice Shard, that'll be nasty. STAB + 4x weakness = one very dead dragon. I'm a little lazy to do the math right now, but I'm sure I'm somwhere along the right track, right? BUT, single battles are not my thing so maybe I just shouldn't even talk about it.

NOW, double battles I know. Call me nuts but I have NO FEAR what so ever of that monster. He's no more harmless than a kitten, granted I have a team. Most of the time the sorry thing jumps in at the very wrong time and gets jacked, simply because I'm not a standard player, but we shall talk about out senario, yes yes? Garchomp, just like his Dragon brothers and sisters, are easy to kill. Counterless my butt, EVERYTHING has a counter, NOTHING in perfect. Again, classical Ice Shard almost always does the trick, but Facade works wonders too. Maybe not a OHKO, but it takes a healthy chunk from his health too, depending who's facading. Speed will always and shall forever remain king, but I'm thinking the best way to kick Chomp's butt is not on the offensive, though I have done it many times before. Defense defense defense, most trainers completely forget DEFENSE. Sigh! "The best offence is the best defense." There are so many great choices with Intimidate and/or Levitate and might I add maybe a good counter might have the ability Unaware? Mamo is still great here because it doesn't take too much from SR but for his partner? Drawing a blank. It's almost 3 and I'm tired. I'll update when I can think of something.

I'm sorry for ranting, I'm so sick and tired of people saying it's such a 'uncounterable' pokemon. I don't mean to start a fight but we all KNOW there is no such thing as perfection...Well, other than me. ;) Just kidding of course. That concludes my rant. So did I spark some life into your brain?

Last edited:

golduck#1

yea there easily a counter. adn who says it has to be ur last 2 poke. why not let your pokemon die and then switch to a deadly ice or dragon. why not have a dragonite with ice beam. dragonite would put up a good fight. win hmmm........... maybe maybe not

phantom1113

Not a random nub
I tend to first scout the varient. on my regular teams I have 3 pokemon that can counter it a bit. I switch to zong at first, it can take outrages and eq's, also Fire blasts from non chainchomps don't do ****, I can 3HKO the chomps with gyro ball. when the're up against zong I will usualy see what type of chomp are, this will help me select what I'll switch in vapporeon or gliscor.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
garchomp is uncounterable its a problem that nintendo says will be addressed in the next gen of games

When exactly did Nintendo say that?

Garchomp is no problem to me.

I either

Use Counter Gliscor. Any unboosted attack countered WILL KO Garchomp. IIRC, Grachomp cannot 1HKO standard Gliscor with Fire Fang or Dragon Claw even with an SD in.

Revenge kill with Scarftran. HP Ice is always a 1HKO, and though he'll probably switch out, he knows he has to watch it.

Rest Talk Bronzong. Physical or Special; Gyro Ball and HP Ice do good damage, especially HP Ice.

Bulky Starmie. Takes any unboosted hit, and can take a Swords Danced Fire Fang, while 1HKOing with Ice Beam.

Garchomp can never switch in on a CBMamo. This is not countering, but it is a decent way of hindering it.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Here you go.

Mamoswine
Impish 252DEF-252ATK
Life Orb

Mamoswine switches into an un-SD'd EQ and takes 49.58% - 58.45%. Ice Shard then does 102.80% - 121.01%.

Mamoswine switches into an un-SD'd Outrage and takes 59.56% - 69.81%. Ice Shard then does 102.80% - 121.01%.

Mamoswine switches into a SD and takes nothing. Ice Shard then does 102.80% - 121.01%.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Problem is, nobody in the right mind would use those EVs. Sorry. :(

You guys wanted a Garchomp counter? There it is. It's not perfect but with Garchomp being on nearly every OU team, it might work.

Dark Master1

I think a Milotic with Flame Orb as its hold item could be able to take two hits then use Ice Beam which can KO Garchomp. I don't use it because I don't have a Milotic with the EV spread or IVs to do this. You need over 380 hp to do this to take 2Outrages, and will be best if you go for max defence, this is with a bold nature, Then Ice Beam could beat Garchomp. The only problem is the burn will end up defeating it after it KOs Garchomp

Last edited:
Flame Orb Milotic is inferior to Rest Talk Milotic; Milotic is a defensive oriented pokemon, and Flame Orb or Toxic Orb seriously dents its survivability. Rest+ST activates Marvel Scale too, and it HEALS it. Milotic is outclassed by Vaporeon in terms of countering Garchomp.

Matty_G33

Wi-fi Trader
There's been discussion on GameFAQs about Garchomp counters.Mamoswine can take an Outrage or anything weaker (like Fire Fang) apparently and kill it with CB Ice Shard. Donphan can do the same thing but not as efficent.

zapdragon14

High as the sky 8D
You guys wanted a Garchomp counter? There it is. It's not perfect but with Garchomp being on nearly every OU team, it might work.

I think that spread could work quite well. I had an idea similar, using Abomasnow as a pose to mamoswine, simply because someone might be trying for sand veil hax if they have hippo/ttar support. Now with the same EV spread, switch in on the EQ, and you won't take much damage (grass typing = ground resistance). With Abomasnow's base attack in comparison to mamo, you'll nowhere near OHKO w/ice shard, so adamant as a pose to impish and slap a choice band on there, ice shard does: 101.96% - 119.89%.

Status
Not open for further replies.