• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU counter Garchomp... (Discussion and BRAINSTORM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
ya, Garchomp is no problem at all to me in double battling. Normally, whenever I see one, I have my deoxys with Garchomp; one Ice Beam and it's gone.

Though, in single battles, I use my focus sash gengar

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey
Yache Berry.

2hko at best.

I believe he included the yache berry:

I switch to Cloyster there is SR Cloyster lose 25% of its health And restored 6% from Leftovers now Cloyster is at 81%

Chomp use outrage Cloyster lose 66.78% - 78.62% of its health. Cloyster use Ice beam/Blizzard Yache weakend it And Chomp lose like 56% from Ice beam.

Now Chomp is Stuck on Outrage and can't switch you Ice shard it Chomp died.

Pretty good way to go, if you ask me.

i say theres no way to counter garchomp, however if a abomasnow has a sub up blizzard would kill it

Fail

Arceus is a good counter IMO.

Tactic: use Rypherior.

SE Dragon rush.

Also, ice punch from weavile OHKOS, yache or not.

there seems to be numerous counters without the inclusion of yache berry. so then y cant we just ban garchomp having that held item as apposed to banning him all together.

randomspot555

there seems to be numerous counters without the inclusion of yache berry. so then y cant we just ban garchomp having that held item as apposed to banning him all together.

Because it still isn't counterable. Band and Scarfed are also sets to worry about.

Bloodthirspriest: He forgot to take into account the damage Cloyster would take switching INTO an attack from Chomp.

And two ice attacks on one Pokemon, more or less specifically designed for Garchomp? Sounds like over centralizing to me.

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey
Chomp uses SD.

I switch to Cloyster there is SR Cloyster lose 25% of its health And restored 6% from Leftovers now Cloyster is at 81%

Chomp use outrage Cloyster lose 66.78% - 78.62% of its health. Cloyster use Ice beam/Blizzard Yache weakend it And Chomp lose like 56% from Ice beam.

Now Chomp is Stuck on Outrage and can't switch you Ice shard it Chomp died.

Bloodthirspriest: He forgot to take into account the damage Cloyster would take switching INTO an attack from Chomp.

And two ice attacks on one Pokemon, more or less specifically designed for Garchomp? Sounds like over centralizing to me.

No, cloyster would switch into it during sword dance. 2 ice attacks?
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2 ice shards with yache berry on garchomp is enough to kill it. Now the point of ice beam and ice shard is, in my opinion, for this:

Cloyster uses ice beam, yache berry is used, and garchomp uses outrage, but both cloyster and garchomp risk fainting the next hit. The garchomp user wonders if he should switch, but decides not to, since he thinks cloyster only has one ice attack, namely, ice beam, and because he already has a sword dance and can't risk losing it by switching, but when he attacks, he is knocked out with ice shard. The use of 2 ice moves is more of an element of surprise.

Last edited:

crobatman

Are the move tutors in platinum going to help with the countering of Garchomp?

I think Salamence can get outrage now. I don't know if that could help though.

Volteon

Back I guess??
It helps Salamence, not Garchomp D:

Salamence still needs less S.atk to KO, Salamence doesn't own Stealth Rock resistence (the opposite), Salamence still doesn't own Swords Dance, Salamence still doesn't get STAB in two of the best moves from the game, Salamence still gets screwed by Thunder Wave, all attacks on Salamence have full accuracy to hit all the time... eh, you get the idea. Mence is still outsped by Chomp.

Salamence could carry Draco Meteor or Dragon Claw for Garchomp, it could OKHO before, but still does not get a chance to power up Salamence enough to counter Chomp.
And nothing else got Ice Shard or any other important Ice move. Barring Ice Punch, which or they could use it before with Emerald access or they couldn't and are still outspeed and OHKOed by Chomp.

Last edited:

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
PorygonZ @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability ---> 2x STAB
EV's: 252/252 for Special Attack/Speed
Nature: Timid
IV's: Best possible (31) for Speed

Moveset:
Hyberbeam ---> That 150 power must have some use! ;)
Filler
Filler
Filler

Timid and Speed IV's help to outrun Speed Ev trained Garchomp while Choice Specs and Adaptability (hopefully) obliterate the damn thing. Thank the lord and switch out PorygonZ after Garchomp faints
Also, if you can 31 IV's in BOTH Speed and Special Attack, then you should have no worries

randomspot555

No, cloyster would switch into it during sword dance. 2 ice attacks?

The false counter's posted move set has Ice Shard AND Ice Beam.

If it ONLY works in a Swords Dance, it relies on prediction and thus luck. It isn't a counter.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2 ice shards with yache berry on garchomp is enough to kill it. Now the point of ice beam and ice shard is, in my opinion, for this:

If it survives, yes.

PorygonZ @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability ---> 2x STAB
EV's: 252/252 for Special Attack/Speed
Nature: Timid
IV's: Best possible (31) for Speed

Moveset:
Hyberbeam ---> That 150 power must have some use!
Filler
Filler
Filler

Timid and Speed IV's help to outrun Speed Ev trained Garchomp while Choice Specs and Adaptability (hopefully) obliterate the damn thing. Thank the lord and switch out PorygonZ after Garchomp faints
Also, if you can 31 IV's in BOTH Speed and Special Attack, then you should have no worries

A counter has to COME INTO AN ATTACK, take minimal/no damage, and then take down the opposition.. Porygon-Z has horrible defenses and can't afford to come in on ANYTHING.

metalxnerd

<-- i love you
you all seem to forget that garchomp can switch>_>
your cloyster( or enter your other "counter" ) isnt going to do too well after two switches into EQ's with stealth rock up.

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey
you all seem to forget that garchomp can switch>_>

Don't all pokemon run away from the pokemon that counter them?

The false counter's posted move set has Ice Shard AND Ice Beam.

I know, the question was there to criticize.

If it ONLY works in a Swords Dance, it relies on prediction and thus luck. It isn't a counter.

If it takes 66-78% damage from an outrage from garchomp after a sword dance, then surely it can survive another form of garchomp.

Last edited:

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
A counter has to COME INTO AN ATTACK, take minimal/no damage, and then take down the opposition.. Porygon-Z has horrible defenses and can't afford to come in on ANYTHING.

Scarfgar's Shadow Ball.

WEAVILE ICE PUNCH OHKOS.

You know what? It's mini-log time!

Fail switched in Weavile (Lv100 Weavile ?).
Pointed rocks dug into Weavile!
Weavile lost 25% of its health.
Garchomp used *whatever*
Weavile lost 75% of its health.
Fail's Weavile fanted!
Weavile didin't do **** against Garchomp!

Timid and Speed IV's help to outrun Speed Ev trained Garchomp

Um try again, it reaches 306 Speed, while StandardChomp reaches 333.

sanjay120

?(???)?
Rofl, Ubers can counter Garchomp just fine. You don't need to outspeed it. Lugia doesn't need to OHKO, it's bulkier than Cresselia. Scarf Kyogre can switch in on one attack and scare it off with Ice Beam, Yache or no. It's not that hard at all.

Because it still isn't counterable. Band and Scarfed are also sets to worry about.

No, because that's not the way things are done. Pokemon are judged on how powerful they are at their fullest potential. You can't ban all attacking moves on Deoxys-A and call it OU.

sanjay120

?(???)?
Rofl, Ubers can counter Garchomp just fine. You don't need to outspeed it. Lugia doesn't need to OHKO, it's bulkier than Cresselia. Scarf Kyogre can switch in on one attack and scare it off with Ice Beam, Yache or no. It's not that hard at all.

No, because that's not the way things are done. Pokemon are judged on how powerful they are at their fullest potential. You can't ban all special moves from Kyogre and call it OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.