• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU counter Garchomp... (Discussion and BRAINSTORM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

I think the Metagame is screwd up now that Garchomp is gone. We get roaming Salamence with Outrage even with SR weakness its still a big threat. Scizor became perfect in platinum do to bullet punch replacing quick attack.

Stealth Rock means Salamence can't continue to switch out and keep set ups. Rock weakness adds a lot, and it doesn't have the defenses chomp has, or it's speed. It serves a lot better as a mixed attacker, and having something that sticks it in the same attack for 2-3 turns +causes confusion (and losing any status boosting if Dragon Dance is used) doesn't make it more powerful. In fact, it might be a disadvantage in some situations.

Bullet Punch is only good as a last-move-before-dying attack, revenge killing, and against those with steel weaknesses. It's a welcome addition to Scizor, but doesn't elevate Scizor to a whole new level.

Neither of them have Chomp's evasion ability, Sand Veil.

But I don't know why we're talking about Platinum in here. I believe there is a whole forum for that.

Chomp moving to uber means the metagame can finally stop with building teams with 2-3 Pokemon used just to take down Chomp. Personally, I like diversity in my metagame, and Chomp being moved up is going to make it much more diverse and much more interesting.

Garchomp>.<

Expert IV Trainer
Stealth Rock means Salamence can't continue to switch out and keep set ups. Rock weakness adds a lot, and it doesn't have the defenses chomp has, or it's speed. It serves a lot better as a mixed attacker, and having something that sticks it in the same attack for 2-3 turns +causes confusion (and losing any status boosting if Dragon Dance is used) doesn't make it more powerful. In fact, it might be a disadvantage in some situations.

Bullet Punch is only good as a last-move-before-dying attack, revenge killing, and against those with steel weaknesses. It's a welcome addition to Scizor, but doesn't elevate Scizor to a whole new level.

Neither of them have Chomp's evasion ability, Sand Veil.

But I don't know why we're talking about Platinum in here. I believe there is a whole forum for that.

Chomp moving to uber means the metagame can finally stop with building teams with 2-3 Pokemon used just to take down Chomp. Personally, I like diversity in my metagame, and Chomp being moved up is going to make it much more diverse and much more interesting.

Is there a platinum thread in the forums?

Mence's most dangerous element is its ability to be unpredictable; mix, specs, DD [now with Outrage!]. If people start trying to replace Chomp with DDOutrage Mence, it loses that unpredictability and becomes fairly timid (exaggeration, I know, shut up XD)

And I agree with what you're saying about the other stuff

Lulz...Bullet Punch replaces Quick Attack, allowing Scizor to hit Ghosts (no more cocky Gengar switch ins) and getting STAB + Technician so no idea WHAT you're on about there

*points up*

randomspot555

The user I quoted was talking, in the other Chomp thread, that these Platinum moves make them on Garchomp's level, and thus, be uber.

My stance is it's a welcome addition (Outrage, Bullet Bunch), but does not elevate them to uber.

zeussy

darkness and thunder
Although Im fairly new to the whole battling actual people (excluding my younger brother) and have only learnt the more complex aspects of the game such as ev training and iv's over the last few days ;so please forgive any absurd comments I make :p

what about glalie? ,, if u gave it some good defense ev's and it can survive earthquake because it levitates , u might be able to get a few icebeams in , and its hail trait would chip away at chomps health a little ?

randomspot555

Glalie doesn't levitate.

Neutral damage to ground and dragon, x2 to fire (fire fang or fire blast) and stone (stone edge).

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Milotic or a Dusknoir with Will-o-wisp or a Rhyperior can counter Garchomp in my opinion. They key is to use pokemon that are not only strong, but are able to take hits from Garchomp.

randomspot555

Slowking[George];8697551 said:
Milotic or a Dusknoir with Will-o-wisp or a Rhyperior can counter Garchomp in my opinion. They key is to use pokemon that are not only strong, but are able to take hits from Garchomp.

Milotic's defense isn't enough to withstand two hits from Chomp.

Dusknoir has the defenses, but also will have to get hit twice before pulling off (presumably) Ice Punch.

Rhyperior is x2 weak to ground.

Rhyperior has solid rock. come to think of it, it serves quite well as a garchomp counter. with the best defensive capabilities in OU and an ability that somewhat negates super effective attacks with avalanche or ice punch. i dunno, it will be weak to dracometeor from chain chomp. but if ur going to be like that salamence cant be countered either. rhyperior does well against most chomp sets

Last edited:
Did i say every team.It is one way of counteing chomper.You can counter it with salemence with good prediction on a EQ switch in and use draco meteor.Why not try trick rotom with EQ to make it switch.

randomspot555

Did i say every team.It is one way of counteing chomper.You can counter it with salemence with good prediction on a EQ switch in and use draco meteor.Why not try trick rotom with EQ to make it switch.

If that's the only counter, then it forces people to use it, hence overcentralizing the metagame.

And it isn't really a counter, since it requires multiple turns to set up AND that it heavily relies on prediction.

I am confused bout one thing.Why did it say in the first post that there would be SR or sandstorm.Not every team has them.Without the entry hazards a lot of thing can counter chomper.

randomspot555

I am confused bout one thing.Why did it say in the first post that there would be SR or sandstorm.Not every team has them.Without the entry hazards a lot of thing can counter chomper.

1. Stealth Rock and/or spikes is common. Not every team has it, but most do.

2. Sand storm activates Chomp's ability. Most users of Chomp would want this to happen.

Well you could avoid hazards by spinners and sand storm by other wheathers.So if there are entry hazards why isnt chomper affected.If itis nt in full health it can be OHKOed with ice attacks even with yache berry.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
May I ask how, bearing in mind that your counter must suck up Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, and either Outrage, Earthquake, Fire Fang twice, not to mention being able to do something BESIDES countering Garchomp?

Status
Not open for further replies.