• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU counter Garchomp... (Discussion and BRAINSTORM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volteon

Back I guess??
I wish Uxie could Ice Beam =/
Reaches better stats with Modest 184/84/242 (HP/Def/S.atk)

But well, this isn't THE counter, but works. especially because it may never expect it can outrun and will probably continue in battle (in case of Outrage, it WILL stay)

Boomguy

Weezing with Leftovers

Lots of Defense and Special Defense needed

Toxic or Will o Wisp
Double Team
Protect
Attract

Smokescreen if you want to make it worse but then it can be removed from switching

Sudo

pretty busy...
Garchomp used Substitute!

not only that, but Sand Veil pretty much ruins all hope of that working.

@ Volteon: Uxie doesn't get Ice Beam :(

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you said "I guess Uxie could Ice Beam" but Cress already does that better. Maybe Choice Specs cress? LOL

Last edited:

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Eh, would this work?

Groudon Jolly@Shell Bell/Salac Berry/Life Orb
252Attack 252Defense 6Speed
Earthquake
BulkUp/Psych Up
DragonClaw
SolarBeam/HPIce/Fissure

Groudon Adamant@Shell Bell/Life Orb
Earthquake
BulkUp/Psych Up
DragonClaw
SolarBeam/HPIce/Fissure

This is just some random Smeargle I came up with:

Smeargle Jolly @ Black Sludge
252 Speed 252 Defense 6HP
Sheer Cold
Lock On
Spore
Trick

Boomguy

Garchomp used Substitute!

not only that, but Sand Veil pretty much ruins all hope of that working.

I'm just going by the popular move specs in the first post and it seems rare that garchomp has substitute or sandstorm.

But yeah it would be useless if it did have it. But if it doesn't have it like in the examples theres an idea for you and plus not many people would expect it to.

Tactics using OHKO moves like Sheer Cold and accuracy/evasievness moves like Double Team and Smokescreen aren't really counters, because they're dependent on luck.

It's quite worrying what lengths people go to to counter Garchomp. :(

cloudk

hates you.
Eh, would this work?

Groudon Jolly@Shell Bell/Salac Berry/Life Orb
Earthquake
BulkUp/Psych Up
DragonClaw
SolarBeam/HPIce/Fissure

Groudon Adamant@Shell Bell/Life Orb
Earthquake
BulkUp/Psych Up
DragonClaw
SolarBeam/HPIce/Fissure

This is just some random Smeargle I came up with:

Smeargle Jolly @ Black Sludge
252 Speed 252 Defense 6HP
Sheer Cold
Lock On
Spore
Trick

Groundon resides in uber while chomp mainly resides in OU since it can kick more butt there. And shell bell is a horrid item to use.

phantom1113

Not a random nub
sudo you can't really start a serious discussion here....
nubs suggesting groudon and banned moves....

On my regular teams I have 3 pokemon that can help to counter chomp: Bronzong, Vaporeon and Gliscor. Bronzong kills skarfed versions with gyro ball and can also sleep them, Vaporeon can OHKO and take enough hits and Gliscor just ice fangs them with a high def =)

Sudo

pretty busy...
Yeah, that's it though, you need three pokemon just to handle it. It's lame. No other pokemon in the entire game requires three pokemon to deal with it, even if you don't know what their set is. Garchomp can blast through it's counters even when you know what's coming.

Anyways, seeing as the intelligence level of the last few posts has dwindled to less than nothing, I'm going to let this die.

phantom1113

Not a random nub
Yeah, that's it though, you need three pokemon just to handle it. It's lame. No other pokemon in the entire game requires three pokemon to deal with it, even if you don't know what their set is. Garchomp can blast through it's counters even when you know what's coming.

Anyways, seeing as the intelligence level of the last few posts has dwindled to less than nothing, I'm going to let this die.

I get last post XP.
it isn't really one for 3 pokemon. Zong counters Weavile and Mamoswine, Vaporeon counters mixape and gyara and some mences. Gliscor is mainly there to counter hera but counters chomp too

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
OK, I joined Shoddy 2 days ago, I've been messing around and found a Cresselia set that seems to be able to take down most (4/5) Chomps:

Cresselia Relaxed @ Leftovers
IV Spread: HP31 ATK0 DEF31 SPD31 SA31 SD31
EVs: 252DEF 252SA 6HP
IceBeam
Moonlight
Reflect
Toxic

Strategy: Cress. comes in and sets up Reflect, Chomp's damage is halved. Use IceBeam for damage (capable of 2HKOs, 3HKOs on a Yacechomp) and Moonlight for recovery. Toxic is to have a status (aswell as a little more damage) on Chomp, it moves around SleepClause, does more damage every turn, and is a handy move considering the fact that Cress. does not have any sleep moves. Also, Cress. can OHKO Salamence and Dragonite. Unfortunately, it has a huge weakness to Blissey and Snorlax, do to the fact of it only having one attack, and a special one at that.

Data:
After Stealth Rock, Cress. will have 334HP left.
Facing a LifeOrbChomp with the highest ATK stat, 394, Cress. only takes 196 damage from Outrage.
With Reflect, Cress. only takes 98 damage from the above scenario.
Cress. deals 140 damage with IceBeam on a YacheChomp with a 31 Special Defense, 280.79 on a reg. Chomp with a 31SD Iv.

So...
Do you think that would work? It worked for me.

pokejade

Garchunks
Weavile@Focus Sash
Ice Punch
Ice Shard
any other moves
any move preferred
Lucario@Focus Sash
Vacuum Wave
Dragon Pulse
any
any

Volteon

Back I guess??
Above must read this...
Though I don't think it'll matter anyways >_>
Did you guys even read the first post? Stealth Rock is up on both sides, so Garchomp is at 94% and your pokemon is also affected by Stealth Rocks.

You can't say "focus sash + ice move". Even if there was no Stealth Rocks, you'd have to outspeed Garchomp, because you'd get hit when you switched in. I'm surprised that someone who joined in May 2006 has no idea what a "counter" is. I thought Serebii did a pretty good job of teaching you guys this stuff, but apparently some of you weren't listening.

A counter is a pokemon who can switch into a threatening pokemon, and immediately be able to disable or KO it. The counter must be able to do so without suffering significant damage to itself, and must reliably be able to defeat the threatening pokemon. It can do this by outspeeding and KOing the threat, or by tanking hits and beating it.

BAD COUNTERS:

Weavile cannot counter Garchomp. Garchomp OHKOs with nearly every move, so Weavile will not live to attack it. Should Weavile come in on a swords dance, Garchomp could have a Yache Berry to easily survive Ice Shard.

-A counter must be able to come in to most or all of a pokemon's moves without severe damage.

-Focus Sash does not make a pokemon a counter. Sandstorm, Hail, and Stealth Rocks are popular in todays metagame, and this doesn't work unless on a lead.

As for Cresselia, it's already known as one of Chomp's counters.

And only without Stealth Rock (Yeah I know =/), a Defensive EVed Speed Deoxys can come in on an Outrage and KO with Ice Beam. ... but yet again, Yache ones becomes still harder to counter.
Not sure how it goes against Draco Meteor, but I'm very sure it resists too.

Last edited:

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
I have a Weavile w/Ice Punch (speed trained, can outrun most 'chomps not trained for speed), and also an Empoleon w/Ice Beam and a Focus Sash. Between those two, chompy's usually dead.

Irith_Locke

Pk THUNDER!
I find that my standard slowbro can usually switch into Chomps safely and Slack Off the damage, then Ice Beam it to death.
Also, my Speed Deoxys slaughters any and all Garchomps w/ Ice Beam...more of a revenge killer, though...
Often, I just predict an Earthquake and switch to Aerodactyl, which outruns and OHKOs with Ice Fang.
Garchomp's not too terribly hard...

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
This has been a very interesting topic for me to read as I'm someone that likes to battle but I'm not that good (I think)

I often have problems dealing with Garchomps, so I was happy to see ideas being thrown into the mix, though the amount of people suggesting Focus Sash is ridiculous (Stealth Rock, anyone?)

I heard that Nintendo would address the Garchomp problem in Platium, I was just curious to know how they'll do this (If they do)?

Keep up the good work guys and gals

Last edited:

Irith_Locke

Pk THUNDER!
This has been a very interesting topic for me to read as I'm someone that likes to battle but I'm not that good (I think)

I often have problems dealing with Garchomps, so I was happy to see ideas being thrown into the mix, though the amount of people suggesting Focus Sash is ridiculous (Stealth Rock, anyone?)

I heard that Nintendo would address the Garchomp problem in Platium, I was just curious to know how they'll do this (If they do)?

Keep up the good work guys and gals

They could do what they always do to crap-ify Pokemon and change its ability to Slow Start/Truant. I betcha THAT would make Garchomp used quite a bit less often. :p

cloudk

hates you.
I have a Weavile w/Ice Punch (speed trained, can outrun most 'chomps not trained for speed), and also an Empoleon w/Ice Beam and a Focus Sash. Between those two, chompy's usually dead.

Weavile is too frail to switch in safely. Focus sash is phail on a wall/tank and EQ is SE. SR is on both sides too, so Focus Sash wouldn't work =.=

GreenAiden555

Up For Trade P.M Me
I have found Salamence to work well against Garchomp. My Jolly natured one with 252A/252Speed/6Hp has killed, pretty much, every Garchomp with one dragon claw.

For everything else, I've used a Starmie.

otj--orangejuice

starmies ice beam

Status
Not open for further replies.