• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU counter Garchomp... (Discussion and BRAINSTORM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seds

Boulder Trainer
I don't have a true garchomp counter... :(

I used several guys to take it out.

-I had on my shoddy team; UXIE as a physical tank to yawn it out.

-If it was a subchomp, I sent in my RORE leafeon with max/max, with wish.

-If it swords danced too many times and outraged, I used my Scarf Heracross to finish it off.

...Garchomp beat me on several occasions, like when I yawned a chomp but it substituted, so I got in leafeon. It swords danced twice, and roar missed. Then it outraged for 80%ish, and roar missed again. It had a sub and 3x attack...

I also made a team of 5 garchomps and Tyranitar to set up sandstream. It won 95% of it's battles. It is ridiculous how greedy Garchomp can be if it has yache berry or salac and special defense. Sand veil allowed by Yache chomp to kill both weavile AND mamoswine. Weavile missed it with ice punch.

Sand veil means 100% counter means a 80% counter.

: (

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
I don't have a true garchomp counter... :(

I used several guys to take it out.

-I had on my shoddy team; UXIE as a physical tank to yawn it out.

-If it was a subchomp, I sent in my RORE leafeon with max/max, with wish.

-If it swords danced too many times and outraged, I used my Scarf Heracross to finish it off.

...Garchomp beat me on several occasions, like when I yawned a chomp but it substituted, so I got in leafeon. It swords danced twice, and roar missed. Then it outraged for 80%ish, and roar missed again. It had a sub and 3x attack...

I also made a team of 5 garchomps and Tyranitar to set up sandstream. It won 95% of it's battles. It is ridiculous how greedy Garchomp can be if it has yache berry or salac and special defense. Sand veil allowed by Yache chomp to kill both weavile AND mamoswine. Weavile missed it with ice punch.

Sand veil means 100% counter means a 80% counter.

: (

More like 80% counter becomes 64% counter, since no one pokemon can handle every one of Garchomp's sets.

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
So, why ISN'T Garchomp banned from OU Play? I mean, there is obviously no ONE counter for it ...

I don't often see Garchomps, but when its a wi-fi online double battle, I swap my Pokemon to Torterra (Wood Hammer) and Milotic (Blizzard).

Lugia Tamer

< Is friggin awesome
Well, it isn't a counter, but Speed Deoxys can certainly force it to switch out if it starts sweeping your team, but only after it has killed your poke. :(

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
So, why ISN'T Garchomp banned from OU Play? I mean, there is obviously no ONE counter for it ...

It isn't the only pokemon that has no definite counter (though Cresselia is often considered a true counter). Flame Orb Heracross has no true counter, for example, but in both cases they can be beaten with prediction, smart switching, and other tactics. People have been able to deal with it for at least 2 years, right?

Sudo

pretty busy...
It isn't the only pokemon that has no definite counter (though Cresselia is often considered a true counter). Flame Orb Heracross has no true counter, for example, but in both cases they can be beaten with prediction, smart switching, and other tactics. People have been able to deal with it for at least 2 years, right?

That's not even close to what Garchomp has. Garchomp has more attack, more speed, and doesn't have to get statused to beat it's counters. Heracross needs Swords Dance and Facade to beat Gliscor, so not only is it using up two moveslots, but it's item as well. It loses 12% every turn to burn as well.

Garchomp doesn't need to change it's set at all to beat it's counters. Even then, there are pokemon that can switch in on almost all of Flame Orb Heracross's moves and outspeed it for the KO. You can't say the same about Garchomp.

Sudo

pretty busy...
READ. THE. FIRST. PAGE.

My goodness you guys. Of course a STAB 120 power Ice attack is going to OHKO garchomp. However, Froslass cannot switch in safely without being killed, and Blizzard is only 70% accurate.

If you even mention the focus sash, I'll blow a gasket, because I specifically said there was Stealth Rock up on both sides, with is rather reasonable considering how widespread it's use is.

I hate to toot Smogon's horn, but they are getting their own Shoddy server, and Garchomp is going to be removed from the ladder to be tested. Cool.

pokejade

Garchunks
you are all idiots, garchomp is easily defeated with sashcario, first dragon pulse then vacuum wave.
even a scarfmie ( i just made this up, choice scarf starmie) with ice beam pawns it with the greatest of ease

LordKelvin

It's not Lupus.
The first thing that comes to mind is Skarmory; Flying type keeps it from nuking you from Earthquake on the switch, and Steel type would halve any Dragon attacks it uses. Granted that it doesn't have any actual moves that could one-shot the Chomp, but unless it has Fire Blast or something, not much it can do to hurt you.

Phrexyian Garguantua

Gyarados Tamer
I use Hippowdon and hope it's a Jolly Garchomp, so I can at least 2HKO with Ice Fang.

cloudk

hates you.
you are all idiots, garchomp is easily defeated with sashcario, first dragon pulse then vacuum wave.
even a scarfmie ( i just made this up, choice scarf starmie) with ice beam pawns it with the greatest of ease

You are an idoit. Switching luke into a Stab EQ is a OHKO. SR is up and focus sash is rendered useless. NO sashers works as SR is up. Sash starmie is crap. Just to kill 1 pokemon and you make it useless for others? Last of all, only idoits leave garchomp when facing starmies.

It's not really a definate counter but as long as it's not got a choice band I think Dusknoir might be able to switch in and ice punch it away. or or use willowisp to shut it down, then use pain split to recover health whilst hurting Garchomp and then shadow punch it.

Raphael

This avatar sucks.
Although Weavile doesn't 'counter' it, I use this strategy to deal with Chomp. Send in a Poke that's relatively obsolete and would die anyway and sacrifice him. Then send in Weavile for the revenge kill.

Argon

Banned
Ar: I would use Ice moves. My Lopunny has Ice beam.

Dragonisfire

Terra Master
There is technically no Chomp counter. However, I like to think I have a good one. My Chomp is a little useless, what with a Lonely nature, random unchecked IVs and no egg moves or Swords Dance. I started playing competitivly with it, and realised it was worse than the average chomp. So I was stuck for items. I tried Leftovers, but the health recovery was too slow, Choice Bands, but I was walled, and various other items. When I settled on something, it was a Focus Sash. And so, this is my Chomp counter. Given no prior damage, I can switch in on a Swords Dance and take a full power Outrage only to deal back a OHKO. Then my one becomes an easy chomp to KO in itself. Of course... this fails with SR down...

Status
Not open for further replies.