• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do You Decide On a Pokémon Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'm picky when it comes to types on a playthrough team, I don't like having more than one Pokemon of the same type on the same team, and I try to avoid having more than two Pokemon that share a weakness, and if I do end up with two Pokemon that share a weakness, I would need to have a third one that can counter that weakness. I usually go for a Grass Fire Water trio, then fill the other three slots with whatever is most needed for stuff like Gyms and other boss fights, with Electric, Fighting and Fairy often being used.

ToonsJazzLover

I often use at least one grass/fire/water Pokemon for my team, as well as a Flying Pokemon in case I need to fly somewhere else.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I don’t plan. I tend to catch one of whatever I come across in the game and adjust my team based on the gym leader’s team and Pokémon that I like.

I would try to bring a balanced high-level team to Victory Road and the Elite 4 in games before Gen 8. In Sword and Shield, I just used the best team with type advantages in the tournament.

That's generally me too. I switch out when I need to. Try to put in anything that's decently sturdy as well, in case the gym leader, etc., has any Pokemon that hit harder.

Autobot N

1. Pokemon design
2. Current generation Pokemon
3. Type composition of team
4. Accessibility in game

Typically I don't like to repeat types but I'm willing to do so if there's multiple new Pokemon that I like with the same type

Rune Knight

I'm actually pretty picky about it myself.

1. The design; hey I want a good looking team.
2. No repetitive colors; for example, I wouldn't have two red or two blue pokémon. I know that it's a bit weird but I really like diversity.
3. No repetitive concepts/species; for example, I wouldn't have two bird or two dog pokémon, also for reasons of diversity.
4. No repetitive typings; to have better advantages and coverages against different weakness, and also for reasons of diversity.
5. The base stat of the final stage; I want strong pokémon!
6. Preferably pokémon with multiple evolution stages; I like having to raise and get attached to my pokémon.
7. No legendries/mythicals; they are too one-off, plus most of the time they are banned from competitive play.
8. No repetitive categories; so like no two pseudos, also for reasons of diversity. Starters are fine though.
9. Popularity; I know that it's a little vain, but I find that I tend to cater towards pokémon that are more popular within the community.

But of course these are just personal things, and I'm not opposed to those who handle things differently. Play the games however you want!

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Since Gen II, I’ve always started with a Steel type and then worked my way from there. A Ground type is necessary, so is a Fighting type, and Ice/Fire cover quite a bit with both of those. Always a good idea to have something for Psychic, Ghost, and Dark. So usually a Ghost or a Bug. Since Gen VI, a Fairy is second after Steel because they’ve become essential. So Tinkaton was hot on my list this time. That leaves me with wiggle room for one or two slots after those, but that’s my priorities. Somehow I typically end up with Magneton, Graveler, Scyther, and some other things.

Before Gen VII, HM slaves were also factored into in game teams.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Prior to Gen VII, my decisions were based entirely on which pokemon could use HMs. Now, I have a much more robust set of criteria:

#1 RULE: There must be at least 3 Ghost Pokémon on my team.
2. Female Pokémon take priority. However, there cannot be more than 4 females on the team.
3. Pokémon must be cool-looking, beautiful or otherwise nice to look at (entirely subjective).
4. At least one Pokémon, other than the starter, must be from the current generation.
5. Ice-type Pokémon take priority after Ghost Pokémon.
6. Psychic-type Pokémon take priority after Ice-type Pokémon.
7. Ninetales takes priority over all Pokémon except Umbreon and Ghost-types.

I also have a hierarchy list for which Pokémon are automatically added to my team should I find them in the wild (above rules still apply):
  1. Mimikyu (currently attached to existing Rank Team and cannot be caught again)
  2. Spiritomb
  3. Honedge/Doublade
  4. Eevee (for Umbreon)
  5. Vulpix/Ninetales
  6. Milotic

Finally, I have one exception to all rules: Suicune. As they are my favorite pokemon, Suicune takes a slot whenever I so choose, regardless of rules.

Timu

I always tried to have a balance of different types and a variety of attacks to make up for the pokemon that can’t be a part of my team due to the six pokemon limit.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I either try to make a team with a solid variety of Types while sticking to Pokemon I really like, or I do a mono-Grass team because Grass is my favorite Type. Also, I only use Pokemon from that specific generation, even in remakes.

Radharani4156

I always tried to have a balance of different types and a variety of attacks to make up for the pokemon that can’t be a part of my team due to the six pokemon limit.
Hi,
Having a diverse team composition is crucial in Pokémon battles. Covering various types and attacks ensures flexibility and adaptability, compensating for the limitation of six Pokémon. It enhances strategic depth and increases the chances of overcoming different opponents effectively.

Radharani4156

Hi Guys,
What factors should I consider when constructing a balanced Pokémon team for competitive battles, and how can I ensure synergy among my chosen Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.