• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you define good music?

DJMonty

<--- Currently REing
This question is simple, how do you define good music? Please don't say 'Anything by/not by *artist name*', give descriptions.

In my opinion, good music is songs that have meaningful lyrics, songs that have a meaning behind them, or songs I can relate to. For example, Alive by Meat Loaf is, in my opinion, about staying strong throughout whatever life throws at you, and to me, this is good music.

What do you personally think? Discuss.

Priceless

**** this, i'm out
Well, it depends really.

Mainly it's songs that you can relate to, that mean something to you on a personal or a not-so-personal scale. Sometimes these songs are so strong they help you get through something. That's good music IMO.

Besides lyrics, and looking at the actual music itself, it needs to be memorable and catchy in one sense, but at the same time differing instead of repeating the same tune constantly for like 5 minutes so the original hook doesn't get boring.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Hmm.. there are diffrent perspectives of "good music"...

There is the meaningful good music that has well thought lyrics such as (AND I DARE SAY IT) Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On"...

But then there are also the beats and melody that make a good song such as Eiffel 65's "Blue (Daba Dee Daba Daa)

And great rap lyrics that keep the truth and not force 2 words to rhyme such as Eminem's "Cleaning Out My Closet"

... so it is all upon the person's take on "Good Music"

What may seem good to me may seem crappy to others.

DJMonty

<--- Currently REing
@Priceless: I see what you mean about being catchy and memorable.

@Nyter: Celine Dion and Eminem are great, in my opinion. I've never hears of Eiffel 65, I'll have to look them up.

LudicoloGuy

ludiludiludiludiludi
-Justin Bieber
-Lady Gaga

inb4 shitstorm

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Well....if I were to listen to a song, and found the lyrics meaningfull (or something), the beat catchy, or I would at least want to listen to it again....and again....and again....with little reason, I would count it as good music.

LudicoloGuy

ludiludiludiludiludi
Honestly, I don't care what you listen to, as long as you think it's good, and have reasons why you think that.

I believe you owe us some reasons?

i was kidding gosh

Taichi

Anything that I'm compelled to listen to again upon finishing.

This. Whether it's meaningful rock, intelligent rap, or catchy bubblegum pop, if I can listen to it over and over again while still realizing it's flaws and enjoying it. That means it's good music to me.

I feel the same about music usually songs that are better(in my opinion) are the ones with a deeper meaning or something i can relate to. Another thing is just if its catchy or just gets stuck in my head :p

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
It's a tough question.
A while back a guy I know made me think when he suggested there are different sorts of music. Not as in rock/pop/rap, but as Art/Entertainment/Folk.
You have music made as an artistic statement, which doesn't necessarily mean it has to be weird/experimental in sound, it just has to have something about it beyond mindless entertainment. You have entertainment which I suppose novelty music would fall under, and pop music, and your typical cookie cutter metalcore bands. And then folk, which doesn't so much concern itself with how it sounds, more of the stories it tells, and the tradition being passed on.

Of course those 3 aren't necessarily definite, I've heard people suggest other categories, such as experimental, and some have different definitions for them, but for me, these seem to make at least some sense.

For music as art, I like it to have a good atmosphere about it, I like it to feel as if simple element's have come together in order to make something that feels greater than the sum of it's parts. I don't think good lyrics are essential. I think it can be a bonus, but a lot of the time I don't have a clue what's being sung, but it doesn't matter, as sometimes it's more adding a texture to the music, or a feeling to it. As Robert Smith of the Cure once said, sometimes understanding lyrics isn't half as important as they way they are sung. As if they are sung right, you convey a feeling, and even people who don't understand your language can feel what the song is about. But for me someone could be singing about the glory of the third reich and as longs as the music was good, I would let the subject slip. Which I suppose leads to my next point, and sort of ties in with the previous point, I place actual musical content above the lyrics. They could be the greatest lyrics ever written, but if the song around it is no good, then they may aswel be poetry for all I care.
Also it doesn't necessarily need to be instantly acessable. Sometimes the beuty is in absorbing an album over multiple plays, and finding little intricacies over time, and growing to appreciate it.
On top of that, more often than not, I prefer an album to be like a complete work. Not just a bunch of random songs thrown together, I like it feel like something that was meant to be, as if those songs where recorder for a purpose and where supposed to go on that album in that order.
I like it to feel as if it was an album of music written with intent, rather than a few guys jamming a few chords and writing it on a whim.

Then there's music for entertainment. For this I feel there has to be instantly acessable. I think it needs to have a good energy about it. and it needs to be catchy. I don't think there needs to have a purpose about it, it could have been written for the sake of being written, as long as it gives you a temporary fix of what it is your looking for in your music at the time. But again, for me lyrics aren't of much importence, though I do like a chorus to be catchy if it's to have one.

I suppose there's a cross over between the two, stuff that you use for entertainment, but does have some sort of artistic value.

And then folk music. For me I like it to tell tales or real things, or real folklore/myths. And I'm particularly fond of local folk songs. Though really with folk I'm slightly less picky. Though nice guitar playing, and traditional instruments are a bonus.
But again there's crossover with folk and entertainment and art.

However they are all quite vague reasons. And don't really say how I define good music, more what I like about music, which I suppose you could argue is what I think is good. But I don't think you can Define good music as such. For a start you have to ask what is good music? Is there anything objective about music that is good regarless, that even if humans didn't exist would be good? Even within your self. I couldn't say I liked all music with a choir for example, as I might not, there's always going to be subjectivity, and even if there was objectiveness, it wouldn't necessarily explain why something is good, more what it is you like about it. But I think I'm getting carried away on a train of thought and sort of going of on a tangent here.

At the end of the day, Define means to give meaning or definition to something, so how I would I define good music? I suppose the only satisfactory answer would be music that I think is good.

thunderblade12

I agree with the two people who said "anything that I think sounds good" and "anything I feel compelled to listen to again."

If it has meaningful lyrics that helps a lot too. I don't like music where the singer brags about all the *** they get or how much they do drugs or drink. Its not that I'm against any of that stuff, but they seem more like obnoxious teenagers trying hard as hell to be cool rather than artists.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
This. Whether it's meaningful rock, intelligent rap, or catchy bubblegum pop, if I can listen to it over and over again while still realizing it's flaws and enjoying it. That means it's good music to me.

I agree with it, but this is debatable. My brother listens to a certain song all the time which all of my family despises, along with the rapper himself. Does this mean it's good music? Not necessarily. Does it mean it's bad? Not necessarily.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
A nice beat, like a Jazzy Hiphop theme. Also lyrics that rhyme well, has meaning to it and that tells a story.

TehGr81

College graduate
I define a good song as a song that has a nice beat (preferably something that gives the song some kick), catchy yet memorable lyrics, and if it's a rock or metal song, a great guitar solo. All in all, just a great tune that you could listen to time and time again.

Shiny Mew2

Gunshow
Nothing that makes me stare in horror in the car. Old and new rock/metal ,or anything that sounds cool.

Or can make you laugh and think of good times. (Big Balls being my song and makes me think about lunch at school. I used to sing it everyday at the end of the year)

DJMonty

<--- Currently REing
Looks like we all have very similar definitions.