• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

DatsRight

Yeah it's kinda strange how lacking SM is in non-Ash chemistries despite him actually being in an already established group this time. We have odd bits but rarely enough to validate them being friends long before Ash came along.

I also kinda hope they have more outer team Pokemon chemistries. While SM was good with maintaining Pokemon interactions, only Pikachu and Togedemaru had a consistent chemistry outside their own group, the rest just sort of acknowledged each other or had one-off dynamics that never really lasted beyond one episode. XY at least had Clemont and Serena's teams bond heavily (at least until some of them evolved, which was the bigger downside of characterisation that series).

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yeah it's kinda strange how lacking SM is in non-Ash chemistries despite him actually being in an already established group this time. We have odd bits but rarely enough to validate them being friends long before Ash came along.

I also kinda hope they have more outer team Pokemon chemistries. While SM was good with maintaining Pokemon interactions, only Pikachu and Togedemaru had a consistent chemistry outside their own group, the rest just sort of acknowledged each other or had one-off dynamics that never really lasted beyond one episode. XY at least had Clemont and Serena's teams bond heavily (at least until some of them evolved, which was the bigger downside of characterisation that series).
are you against evolved Pokemon?

DatsRight

are you against evolved Pokemon?

Not if it feels like it compliments the Pokemon as a character. Lycanroc and Vikavolt worked fine for me since their evolutions were story segregated and they maintained a level of personality and interactions they had in their unevolved forms. I remember being genuinely sad when they evolved because I thought that was essentially the end of their old characters, but they still had signs of their old selves afterwards so I was happy.

A lot of Pokemon DON'T get that benefit, they get plot armour evolutions, usually in a predictable way like any time they're against a bad guy that isn't a total pushover, and usually lose all their characterisation and prominence, only appearing when they are needed, making them feel more like glorified commodities for their trainer, like they traded an actual character for a dull prop designed to make them look more accomplished. Pretty much everyone remembers Sylveon for her time as an Eevee for example, because she did almost nothing as a character after she evolved besides when Serena needed her ability wise.

There are of course some unevolved designs I prefer over the evolved ones however, though the show can make me like some of the latter when they're handled well.

Redstar45

Not if it feels like it compliments the Pokemon as a character. Lycanroc and Vikavolt worked fine for me since their evolutions were story segregated and they maintained a level of personality and interactions they had in their unevolved forms. I remember being genuinely sad when they evolved because I thought that was essentially the end of their old characters, but they still had signs of their old selves afterwards so I was happy.

A lot of Pokemon DON'T get that benefit, they get plot armour evolutions, usually in a predictable way like any time they're against a bad guy that isn't a total pushover, and usually lose all their characterisation and prominence, only appearing when they are needed, making them feel more like glorified commodities for their trainer, like they traded an actual character for a dull prop designed to make them look more accomplished.
I would rather have evolution is sign of progressive for pokemon to grow and change then keep their same personality and not grow stronger for it .

DatsRight

Grow and change doesn't have to be 'get blander and shift into the background' however. That's like the opposite of development.

Redstar45

Grow and change doesn't have to be 'get blander and shift into the background' however. That's like the opposite of development.
No but have them still act like their ol serve and don't grow as characters is also not really grown as characters is problem as well. You know that don't you ?

DatsRight

No but have them still act like their ol serve and don't grow as characters is also not really grown as characters is problem as well. You know that don't you ?

They can grow as a character and still maintain shades of their old selves though, there can be a consistent core personality that keeps them one and the same. That's different from say, the stagnant comic relief Pokemon.

Redstar45

They can grow as a character and still maintain shades of their old selves though, there can be a consistent core personality that keeps them one and the same. That's different from say, the stagnant comic relief Pokemon.
But it is not realistic as in the canon as most Satoshi pokemon change and growing stronger .....i think writer-director play losely with evolution too many times and i am pin on shudõ too and just because love os era don't mean that he can get away with it .

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
One thing the anime has not handled in detail is Pokemon rights.

Perhaps G8 can do that in line with my wish for a darker and more serious anime.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
One thing the anime has not handled in detail is Pokemon rights.

Perhaps G8 can do that in line with my wish for a darker and more serious anime.

They had their golden opportunity to do it in BW, since that’s literally the plot of the games. It’d just feel out of place now, especially in Galar where battling seems like a big tradition/part of the culture.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
My proposal to make the anime darker could probably result in the show being inappropriate for Disney XD.

Another Disney network perhaps Freeform could pick it up then.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I always see people saying they want the anime to be darker, but what do they mean by darker?
I think such fans just want what Pokemon Adventures has. A still light-hearted but mature take on Pokemon where the stakes feel real, the serious subject matter of the games isn't ignored or glossed over one bit but also feels connected, characters get planned-out backstories which includes not only a relatable personality but also real-life issues that they and their Pokemon have to deal with together on the journey, like depression, an inferiority complex (which would be perfect for Ash in my opinion) or loneliness while interacting with friends and dealing with villains that have similarly human backstories that also dealt with such real-life issues but have chosen a different path to resolve it. I suppose the more accurate term is that they want a more "human" story as strange as that sounds for Pokemon which is themed around magical creatures.

Jeal

I think such fans just want what Pokemon Adventures has. A still light-hearted but mature take on Pokemon where the stakes feel real, the serious subject matter of the games isn't ignored or glossed over one bit but also feels connected, characters get planned-out backstories which includes not only a relatable personality but also real-life issues that they and their Pokemon have to deal with together on the journey, like depression, an inferiority complex (which would be perfect for Ash in my opinion) or loneliness while interacting with friends and dealing with villains that have similarly human backstories that also dealt with such real-life issues but have chosen a different path to resolve it. I suppose the more accurate term is that they want a more "human" story as strange as that sounds for Pokemon which is themed around magical creatures.
Nothing of this is darkness. The anime can perfectably become something like this. It all depends on the writers. Avatar is an example of what the Pokémon anime can be like. In fact, XY was something like this, but still very far of the real potential.

shoz999

Nothing of this is darkness. The anime can perfectably become something like this. It all depends on the writers. Avatar is an example of what the Pokémon anime can be like.
I'd say it's more accurate to say the anime can potentially become something like this because it doesn't all depend on the writers. There's also the producer or showrunner that serves as an advisor to the production and the Pokemon Company that "quality" checks everything regardless if the writers and director envisioned something else in mind. Also Pokemon Adventures would easily be the best example of what just the Pokemon series in-general can be like when telling a more "human" story. Why take notes from Avatar when you literally got Pokemon Adventures close-by.

Jeal

I'd say it's more accurate to say the anime can potentially become something like this because it doesn't all depend on the writers. There's also the producer or showrunner that serves as an advisor to the production and the Pokemon Company that "quality" checks everything regardless if the writers and director envisioned something else in mind. Also Pokemon Adventures would easily be the best example of what just the Pokemon series in-general can be like when telling a more "human" story. Why take notes from Avatar when you literally got Pokemon Adventures close-by.
Avatar is a much better story and is a american cartoon(Western cartoons are more childish than animes).

shoz999

Avatar is a much better story and is a american cartoon(Western cartoons are more childish than animes).
I don't know about Avatar being the better story heheh but I certainly understand it's a very good story but the difference between Avatar and Pokemon Adventures is that Pokemon Adventures easily cements itself as the top contender by actually dealing with the actual Pokemon series, and from that it's proof to fans that the Pokemon series can actually tell amazing stories on par or even better than your One Piece or Naruto through a different range of protagonists, each of which have a lot of important themes and lessons that Ash could learn from in the anime.

Jeal

I don't know about Avatar being the better story heheh but I certainly understand it's a very good story but the difference between Avatar and Pokemon Adventures is that Pokemon Adventures easily cements itself as the top contender by actually dealing with the actual Pokemon series, and from that it's proof to fans that the Pokemon series can actually tell amazing stories on par or even better than your One Piece or Naruto through a different range of protagonists, each of which have a lot of important themes and lessons that Ash could learn from in the anime.
Nah, Naruto and One Piece are leagues above Pokémon Adventures. Anyway, the writers do not seem to be interested in making the anime a better anime.