• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

Epicocity

If one of the companions doesn't beat Ash and win the Alola League then I would like for it to happen in the next series. They now have no excuse not to exclude companions for the leagues anymore.
Considering the vitriol with which this move has been received before the event even begins, and the amount of venom that would likely come from a companion beating and winning before Ash, they have every reason to not do it, and to exclude them in the future. Just because you hate Ash, doesn't mean it makes any narrative sense to do it now or in the future.

Dream Lad

Banned
The animation in SM is one of my least favorite aspects of it, so I'd rather see something different like animation inspired by the 21st movie, which looked really crisp and vibrant.

I think the animation is decent. The faces though...ugh.

If one of the companions doesn't beat Ash and win the Alola League then I would like for it to happen in the next series. They now have no excuse not to exclude companions for the leagues anymore.

How about Ash finally wins the cup in Gen 8 so we can get a new main character after 25 years?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Considering the vitriol with which this move has been received before the event even begins, and the amount of venom that would likely come from a companion beating and winning before Ash, they have every reason to not do it, and to exclude them in the future. Just because you hate Ash, doesn't mean it makes any narrative sense to do it now or in the future.

Doesn't matter. The vitriol will exist no matter who beats Ash, no matter how well developed, no matter what. The only person people could somewhat willingly accept to beat Ash at this point, by a narrow margin mind you, is Kukui because he was the first of the title challengers in the games.

DatsRight

I know people were fond of the idea of just Kiawe being in the league with Ash since he had done some amount of training and build up to it. The idea that the companion that doesn't get an individual agenda like contests and what not could instead challenge Ash in the league isn't a bad idea.

The bigger problems with everyone being in the league are two things:

1. Alola is clearly more passive rules than previous ones, where you had to complete the gym quest to qualify. Not sure how Gen 8 will do this, but it looks like it might be more traditional format game wise.
2. No other companion besides maybe Kiawe has really trained to the same level as Ash in Alola. Like REMOTELY. The idea of one of them defeating him with such a difference in experience level would feel like as much an insult to his development as cases like the Pikachu vs Snivy incident.

The thing is that the league is what Ash usually builds up to every series, his goal (less so in Alola but likely back to being such next series). Him getting usurped in that by someone who didn't even try would be like him randomly going into a Grand Festival and eliminating May or Dawn after we followed their progress the whole series. Perhaps to punctuate it, it'd be like Temple of the Sea but the role's reversed. :p

Two wrongs don't make a right, especially in terms of story and character development.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Doesn't matter. The vitriol will exist no matter who beats Ash, no matter how well developed, no matter what. The only person people could somewhat willingly accept to beat Ash at this point, by a narrow margin mind you, is Kukui because he was the first of the title challengers in the games.

Gladion could as well and no one would complain, heck Ash hasn't beaten him at all so far.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The dreamcrusher is going to be either Ilima, Hau, or Gladion. Probably Ilima. And if Ash can somehow get past all of them, then Masked Royal/Kukui will cut through the five of Ash's like carving a cake.
Somehow I would like to see Lillie being the dreamcrusher. I dunno, I would like to see the most amount of salt from the fans.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Gladion could as well and no one would complain, heck Ash hasn't beaten him at all so far.
Hence why people would complain. I think it's either going to be kukui or ilima, the former because duh (though it'd still be annoying for ash to lose to him thrice), and the latter because he just feels like a dream crusher

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Hence why people would complain. I think it's either going to be kukui or ilima, the former because duh (though it'd still be annoying for ash to lose to him thrice), and the latter because he just feels like a dream crusher

The problem is gladion's pokemon are legit powerhouses, he's got an Arceus clone for one, and his Lycanroc is one of the few pokemon to take a Z-move head on and not go down from it.

If Ash was to lose to him I personally wouldn't mind, because how is he supposed to beat that without reserves or last minute evo's which even then might not help.

heck they pretty much established Gladion's Lycanroc is superior to Ash's so there's that too.

then again I think we're getting off topic here.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SH65 said:
Well if they're going to have a league never do what SM doing with it.

I think that the next League will likely be handled differently since apparently the Galar region actually has Gyms, so I expect that the qualifications needed to enter the Galar League will ensure that only tough trainers will compete.

Sham

The Guardian of War
And why not? Kiawe should be the one to do it. The classmates make up 5/8 of canon participants so far, so it only makes mathematical sense that a classmate beats him.

Dream Lad

Banned
I hope for some well-written battles that involve all mechanics. Abilities, status effects, entry hazards, priority moves, weather, Mega Evolution, Z-moves. I don't mind having significantly fewer battles in exchange for higher quality well-animated ones.

After Sun & Moon, I hope Galar ends up like Sinnoh 2.0.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I hope for some well-written battles that involve all mechanics. Abilities, status effects, entry hazards, priority moves, weather, Mega Evolution, Z-moves. I don't mind having significantly fewer battles in exchange for higher quality well-animated ones.

If you're also including the way the female companion is handled then sure.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I think that the next League will likely be handled differently since apparently the Galar region actually has Gyms, so I expect that the qualifications needed to enter the Galar League will ensure that only tough trainers will compete.

I think SuMo's league has traumatized some folks, but yeah I do think that we'll go back to the usual structure of the Pokemon league in the next saga.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

Kintaro

Banned
I don't see how Serena is like Dawn even sans battling...

If you watch the episode Serena dressed as Ash, she behaved exactly like Dawn in that episode. Which makes me think that had Serena been a coordinator and done battling, she would have seemed very similar to her. Probably the only difference is the way Serena acts around Ash compared to Dawn.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dream Lad said:

That's asking for a lot from my perspective. Even if the next saga is more like Shinou, I doubt that the writers will suddenly prioritize all those battle mechanics since even a battle-heavy region like Kalos didn't have that many battle mechanics showcased on a constant basis.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You know, I doubt it'll happen, but with the pokemon masters game and the "gym masters" accidental leak in march (which will most likely be confirmed or debunked tomorrow), I wonder we'll finally learn what a pokemon master is in the anime

Leonhart

Imagineer
mehmeh1 said:
You know, I doubt it'll happen, but with the pokemon masters game and the "gym masters" accidental leak in march (which will most likely be confirmed or debunked tomorrow), I wonder we'll finally learn what a pokemon master is in the anime

It'll be somewhat exasperating if it we finally get a proper definition for what a Pokemon Master is more than twenty years after the concept was first mentioned, but better late than never I guess.