• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

DatsRight

I don't really get the praise for SM's supposed good handling of character arcs, either. Granted, Lilie's arc was pretty impressive since she went from fearing Pokemon to actually having her own, but none of the other characters really amazed me as far as their development went. If the next saga is the same as SM as far as character arcs go, then I'll be disheartened. But perhaps if the cast in Galar is much smaller than it is now, it could work better.

Arcs I will freely admit are underwhelming in SM, but the thing is that arcs only make up so much of EVERY series. Most of them are still compounded with filler and episodic antics, and I think SM's approach of at least letting the heroes take pilot seat and do their own thing in them over following the same generic formula where they're not allowed to do anything but call attacks against a fodder bad guy at least means more opportunities for the cast to shine. I don't want to wait until a main event episode happens just for the protagonists to do something enjoyable.

Even arc heavy series don't hand one to EVERY protagonist so at least some fun episodic moments for them that aren't just 'beating Team Rocket very easily' would even the balance for them. That's likely why Kiawe hasn't ended up another Brock for example, there's more room for him to have a role in the freer storytelling, even when he's not the focus of development.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
SM was good at making “filler” episodes enjoyable. They can’t completely be described as filler episodes since they are mentioned and are called back into future episodes. Actually, the slice of life theme was positively evident in moments where even the most boring of characters or least shown were given a tender moment. Episodes outside of a couple weren’t generic in the least bit. I think what some people are getting at that though character development in SM in terms of how competent their battling skill are or if a character overcame a weakness, is underwhelming, it’s main strength was the character storytelling. What was lacking in action was made up by the character driven episodes in which the characters shined in their own light. Take Ash for example: His best moments weren’t showing his immense skill as a Trainer in battles but instead, his heart and relationships. Instead of being the hero, he was placed into supporting a character without taking the spotlight from them (Lana with Totem Wishiwashi, Lillie with Mother Beast, Sophocles with his lack of confidence, Mallow with her recipes, etc), but most importantly, his relationship amongst his team members. I think the slice of life concept was the best idea for the characters, especially Ash whom you could care about outside of his battles or how strong his Pokémon are (I mean that episode where he “became” a Passimian was golden!) I also really like how the COTDs reoccur and in some episodes play a role like the episode where Stoutland died, Moani (the old market lady) shed some wisdom on the matter and had a relationship with Litten or the TRio’s brief rivalry with Team Skull, Bourgain being a threat to Kiawe, I’da being Lana’s master, Oranguru being a mentor to Mallow, Professor Kukui being a father figure to Ash, the Island Kings and Queens as well as other plain authority figures like Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy having their own antics and problems, are some things I appreciate that we got from SM in which I hope, continue into future sagas.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think what also has to be remembered is that, while battles are very key to the show, they were always Ash's element. They make a series like XY where most of his challenges are battle focused he is going to become complacent and restricted. SM took him COMPLETELY out of his element, forcing him to adjust to a new structure, take new challenges and also slow down enough to immerse and care about his team mates (one of his most humanising moments is in the AF arc where Lillie's regression makes perfectly clear she is not just some sidekick tagging along with another of his adventures, she needs direct support and comfort, he needs to interact with her). The dynamic between the three boys was also one of the best uses in the show of trainer development intertwining and all of them helping out with each others' agendas and development besides just encouragement.

Even TR, despite their usual antagonist role still getting old, were kept fresh with their own adjustments. They couldn't just stalk Ash and Pikachu anymore, Bewear made a new obstacle where they needed to reformat their region approach entirely and make long term plans.

This is what new series should really do, force the mainstays into new challenges and approaches instead of just their old shtick in new backdrops.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't really get the praise for SM's supposed good handling of character arcs, either. Granted, Lilie's arc was pretty impressive since she went from fearing Pokemon to actually having her own, but none of the other characters really amazed me as far as their development went. If the next saga is the same as SM as far as character arcs go, then I'll be disheartened. But perhaps if the cast in Galar is much smaller than it is now, it could work better.
To me it's more that the characters feel realistic. Brock never felt like a character to me, more of an exposition machine with a seriously messed up attitude towards females that he never ever developed on even slightly. Cilan is just a weird exposition machine who for some reason must make stupid food puns every single sentence and thinks it's a good idea to go on an adventure in a suit. I haven't watched too much of Unova but in the stuff that I did watch I never saw them do anything with Cilan other than using him for exposition or as the cook. Clemont and Serena were a bit better but them constantly praising Ash as if he's some sort of deity just feels off. Like, he's still quite an idiot even in Kalos. Clemont also doesn't seem to develop too much, he still blows up just as many of his inventions towards the end of the series as in the beginning. Paul is also barely a character. He's supposedly obsessed with power because his brother lost a battle to Brandon once. And I'm sorry, but I just can't really buy that or bring myself to sympathise with that, he just feels like a whiny kid who is ridiculously butthurt over the fact that his brother lost a battle once years ago. Like, dude, get over it, it's just a battle. Don't need to be a complete jerk to the entire world over it for years. Gladion on the other hand is also a bit distant and walled-in, but he's been through some serious stuff. When he was small he lost his father to Ultra Beasts. Then a few years later when he was little he witnessed his little sister almost getting kidnapped by Ultra Beasts into another dimension, and was there with her when she was so traumatised she couldn't touch pokémon anymore. And then once he's a bit older Ultra Beasts kidnapped his mother into another dimension. Like, getting essentially every single one of your relatives almost or entirely kidnapped into a different dimension is a big deal and actually justifies his hostile attitude towards Ultra Beasts and his desire to get stronger. You can also see Mallow develop in her cooking. In the beginning she messes up and actually thinks Pikachu's Thunderbolt is a suitable cooking ingredient, she burns stuff in the restaurant kitchen, and she can't multi-task in a busy restaurant. It's later on that she starts overcoming those things and improving. It was also busy at Oranguru's place but she managed very well there. Oranguru also let her do everything, just like her father did earlier in the series, but she dealt with it very differently in those two instances.

Kintaro

Banned
Kiawe and Lana I liked the most of the SM companions. Sophocles I just can't take seriously because of his design, I mean...just look at him...lol

satopi

Kiawe and Lana I liked the most of the SM companions. Sophocles I just can't take seriously because of his design, I mean...just look at him...lol
i actually really like his design, that interested me the first time I saw him. He reminds me s bit of Crayon Shin chan in how his face and eyes look and how his mouth is animated as well as his overall obtuse body shape. It’s an intriguing design for a character that’s yet to have been used. Same with Prof Kukui’s eyes, that’s a design that’s barely been used in the past.

Kintaro

Banned
i actually really like his design, that interested me the first time I saw him. He reminds me s bit of Crayon Shin chan in how his face and eyes look and how his mouth is animated as well as his overall obtuse body shape.

He is just too round for me, and his face doesn't look like a pokemon character. I have no problem with fat characters, I liked Stephen from BW and Tierno from XY, so it's nothing to do with him being overweight.

satopi

Literally all of the anime has action and comedy, it's only a matter of which one the show decided to focus on
Pokémon has always had comedy (most of the time it wasn’t funny at all) and action. I don’t think they should choose one over the other. It just needs to be balanced which SM tries but the action feels awfully underwhelming (outside of some instances like the Totem battles in my opinion). I hope Galar focuses on the action when it’s needed and then revert back to its overall lightheartedness when it should. It really isn’t much to ask for. I think most of the decisions on how the show will be directed is through the show runner and he/she will go with it. Aya Matsui has been doing a splendid job so far so I hope she continues but fixes the issues we have in SM like the underwhelming action to solidify the traditional approach in Galar.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
There should be an episode featuring a nursery where orphaned wild baby mammalian Pokemon are raised until they are old enough to sustain themselves.

A lot of baby mammals are hand-reared by humans in real life and this would be an interesting concept to show.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:
There should be an episode featuring a nursery where orphaned wild baby mammalian Pokemon are raised until they are old enough to sustain themselves.

A lot of baby mammals are hand-reared by humans in real life and this would be an interesting concept to show.

So a Pokemon day care episode? We usually see at least one day care facility or nursery per saga, so we'll probably see another one in Galar in a filler episode or something.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Another interesting plotline would be for Ash to suffer a broken leg and have the effects linger on for a number of episodes.

MockingJ

Banned
Another interesting plotline would be for Ash to suffer a broken leg and have the effects linger on for a number of episodes.

Er what's the advantage of this scenario? At most he'd be out of commission for a while and his friends might get to be more active during that time like how Serena got to battle in his place when he got sick in Kalos, but him breaking his leg sounds really morbid lol.

Kintaro

Banned
Since going back to the two Gym leader formula seems likely, that's what they'll do. If any sidequest existed in Galar it would have been revealed by now.

Misty and Brock already got parallels with Iris/Cilan, so if we do have two more Gym leaders I hope they aren't similar again because that would be repetitive. With also having Lana on the cast I can't see Nessa because good god we don't need 3 girls who like water pokemon on the cast.

Also I doubt Misty will meet Nessa and befriend her like Lana, it's not like Misty has to meet every female water pokemon Gym leader under the sun.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:

Him receiving an injury that lasts for more than one episode seems a bit unlikely, but it's not out of the question for us to get an episode where he gets sicks or something since that's been done before.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Although it's very unlikely, I would really enjoy it as it means that the companions would have their screentime full-time, more than the Serena cosplaying as Ash episode from XY, and yeah I'm sick of Ash too.