• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
I really hope the sword and shield anime won’t be too serious or whatever so that it doesn’t come off as dull.

While too much battling can often come across as dull if things go overboard like in XY&Z, I'd find the new saga to be just as dull if it were to mimic the SM saga and be focused on comedic gags all the time, because to me forced humor isn't really entertaining either.

Leonhart

Imagineer
maartjeverhoef said:
I don't think one precludes the other, we can have a battle-heavy series full of comedic gags.

It could work in theory, but like many things in this anime, it's difficult to really picture the writers getting things right since they usually go to one extreme or the other. AG was probably the closest that we got to a saga that was battle-oriented yet still comedic in tone, but I don't really expect the Galar saga to be as good as the AG saga.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Comedic gags as in SM?
No thanks. XY all life personally.
Not a huge fan of XY but it was alright.

Maybe a mix of AG, DP and XY, seriously these three are by far the best written series of pokemon in all aspects pacing, team combination, story arcs and character development.

DatsRight

I think SM should at least serve some inspiration for fillers (face it there will be fillers, MANY of them), Ultra Adventures was pretty stagnant but I'd take that over even a handful of XYZ fillers since at least it was far less repetitive and more character driven. AG/DP/XY era were maybe best arc and development wise, but the old formula used during the breather time in the aforementioned three has been run dry.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SM has had some of the most wacky and entertaining fillers since OS from my perspective, so I do hope that the writers take some notes from SM's fillers and make the Galar saga's own fillers fun. Anything that breaks out of the monotony of Satoshi and his friends simply meeting COTDs and helping them with their problems on a constant basis would be nice.

D

Deleted member 384931

I think a combination of BW, XY/DP SM/OS:
-The wacky fillers of SM and OS
-The serious story parts of XY and DP
-The competent side of TRio like BW
-The connection of the team like XYZ and DP
- Make the evolution unpredictable like SM
-Give the pokemon a backstory like Litten and Greninja. Please no fire type had a bad trainer like Tepig, Chimchar and Charmander.
-Ash can have serious moments, being like a goof, but still mature enough.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
think a combination of BW, XY/DP SM/OS:
-The wacky fillers of SM and OS
-The serious story parts of XY and DP
-The competent side of TRio like BW
-The connection of the team like XYZ and DP
- Make the evolution unpredictable like SM
-Give the pokemon a backstory like Litten and Greninja. Please no fire type had a bad trainer like Tepig, Chimchar and Charmander.
-Ash can have serious moments, being like a goof, but still mature enough.

I'd like to see a slightly more competent version of the Rocket-dan trio in the new saga as well. I know that they'll never succeed in their main goal of stealing Pokemon from other trainers, but I'd like to see them come up with major schemes several episodes in advance like they often did in Best Wishes.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
>Competent
>Burgundy
I remembered Astrid was shown to be competent in the Diancie movie, but her other appearences against Ash was at the Kalos League where Ash won against her without knowing in details what's on going during the whole battle. Seriously, poor her.

DatsRight

I'd like to see a slightly more competent version of the Rocket-dan trio in the new saga as well. I know that they'll never succeed in their main goal of stealing Pokemon from other trainers, but I'd like to see them come up with major schemes several episodes in advance like they often did in Best Wishes.

I think SM's comedic but arc focused Trio works, but there needs to be actual payoffs to their storylines. They get a Z Ring/Crystals and then never use them, and they also get more powerful Pokemon but still rarely even land a hit on the twerps. Just some progressively less one sided face-offs where they made the twerps struggle for a win more and more would have added more investment to the whole thing, and maybe added more interest to them being part of the league. Add a Giovanni or Matori focused main scheme at the end of it and you could have a pretty solid Team Rocket run.

Basically TR WORKING for their BW competence. AND keeping their funny personalities.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
I remembered Astrid was shown to be competent in the Diancie movie, but her other appearences against Ash was at the Kalos League where Ash won against her without knowing in details what's on going during the whole battle. Seriously, poor her.

She was one of my favorite recurring characters, although I felt that the writers wasted a chance to make her one of Satoshi's main rivals. She could've easily become the female version of Alain, but instead we got stuck with Shota and Tierno. I really hope that the writers will change their stance on serious female rivals, and finally give one to Satoshi in Galar.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t know why it’s so hard for the writers to just give Ash a competent female rival. It’s not like him beating her occasionally will send some kind of subliminal message, when it’s obvious if the companion girl does battle she’ll get plot-armored to oblivion. Like mentioned above, they almost had it with Astrid, but they wasted her on reoccurring cameos here and there.

MockingJ

Banned
The writers need to do start introducing the villains much earlier in the saga and actually have them do serious things. They tried that with Team Skull in the Sun and Moon saga by having them appear in the 2nd episode, but then they totally ruined that by making them into the Three Stooges. We need serious villain plots, not comedy crap.

DatsRight

I don't mind other comedic villains besides Team Rocket, they just don't have to be rehashes of them. The issue was that both Team Skull and Team Rocket were essentially doing the same shtick, giving no reason to use Skull. They wasted a good opportunity with Team Rocket really, using the Z Moves and Mimikyu to make them more dynamic and increasingly dangerous villains while Skull could have filled in their old gag villain role, but alas, Rocket stayed incompetent as well since heaven forbid the twerps get a non-jobber recurring villain. Even the fact they were so similar could have been utilised to make them rivals but despite teasing that a couple episodes it never really became a recurring thing.