• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I heard reports of Japanese fans burning their merchandise in response to the Kalos League.
I think the producers/writers should stop tricking the fans emotions with an episode title such as "Kalos League Victory!". Otherwise, they can do whatever they wanted of their shows. Angry fans aren't going to stop them.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Do people still think that ratings matter? Theyre insignificant for a series like this one.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Honestly, the Kalos League battles weren't bad, how it was handled was questionable, and I'm sure most people were pissed at the end result but people are still mad about it? I moved on over a year ago, it isn't much of a hot button topic anymore. They're probably learning from their mistakes by going back to puns in the titles and keeping them truthful for the most part.

DatsRight

I think for better or worse, it was the point most fans realised Ash was likely never going to win a league.

I think the writers knew that too, hence trying to take a different course with Ash's approach so it's not just a repetition of the same Shaggy Dog Story.

I think as many were upset about the fact that XY looked like it might be a game changer and a little often sneakily hyped itself up as being such. Then Ash lost the league, Greninja left, Serena parted ways, hell even some BW changers got abolished, Team Rocket reset completely into stagnant incompetents who interrupted nearly every episode, etc. It felt like even more a kick in the nads when they saw SM previews and Ash at face value was almost a completely different character. It was like XY could have been omitted from the timeline altogether and it wouldn't make a difference.

SM IS altering the formula and direction, but we don't know if that will have any affect on the next series. Like XY, everything could just revert to as it was a decade ago.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Fun fact: Fujita Shinzou wrote both final battles of the Isshu and Kalos Leagues. It goes to show that he's an incredibly talented writer that can pull off multiple types of surprise.

The anime should go in a darker, mature direction. Gen 8 is the chance the writers have to make up for the Kalos League disaster and regain the viewers they lost because of it. The fans deserve that much.

That's not going to happen. The Kalos League is one of the franchise's best Leagues and Sun & Moon is decidedly fun and colorful and Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki isn't likely to change that.

I heard reports of Japanese fans burning their merchandise in response to the Kalos League.

Fans of every franchise do this, especially idol fans.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
That's not going to happen. The Kalos League is one of the franchise's best Leagues and Sun & Moon is decidedly fun and colorful and Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki isn't likely to change that.

Pokemon is one of the few anime (or animated series in general) that doesn't let its main characters achieve their goals. That has been a problem for over 20 years. The Kalos League was a major example of this.

The franchise has ignored its older fans for years now.

Maybe it should look at My Little Pony. That franchise at least knows how to cater to both its target audience and its older fanbase. And its current flagship animated series, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, does let its main characters achieve their goals, unlike Pokemon. Even the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally got their Cutie Marks after so long.

Pokemon could learn some things from MLP, especially the anime. Even if it means the anime goes in a darker, mature direction. And the anime needs to change the habit of not letting its main characters achieve their goals.

DatsRight

I feel like it would be an easier to handle twist if they did something more diverse with it, rather than the usual 'trainer competes and wins up until the final hurdle' formula. The annoyance over the Kalos league loss was exasperated by having him already do it five times in a row beforehand, with very little alteration in formula. If they'd gone the SM route where the league quest at least isn't the key focus on what Ash was doing, and used that from say the second or third time he failed, it would have helped downplay it, but the problem is that the anime beforehand was very goal centric, in spite of seldom letting any of it's protagonists achieve their goals.

It would help if there were other specifications to being a Pokemon Master, or even if they just went for more unofficial tournaments like the Orange Island league or Battle Frontier. Stuff they could loophole around so Ash could have some actual progress. Ironically even Team Rocket have made more of a transition in their goal since they're on better terms with Giovanni, just they can't capture Pikachu specifically.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Pokemon is one of the few anime (or animated series in general) that doesn't let its main characters achieve their goals. That has been a problem for over 20 years. The Kalos League was a major example of this.

The franchise has ignored its older fans for years now.

Maybe it should look at My Little Pony. That franchise at least knows how to cater to both its target audience and its older fanbase. And its current flagship animated series, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, does let its main characters achieve their goals, unlike Pokemon. Even the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally got their Cutie Marks after so long.

Pokemon could learn some things from MLP, especially the anime. Even if it means the anime goes in a darker, mature direction. And the anime needs to change the habit of not letting its main characters achieve their goals.

They're not allowed to have Satoshi win. They're making do with what they can do. Besides, they still pay tribute to their older fans with bringing in the occasional older Pokemon and complex battles. The huge leaps in quality to appeal to Otaku since XY with more character archetypes and higher-quality animation and directing is another big nod.

Satoshi will probably eventually win a League, too.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'm not talking about about just Ash but the other main characters. The coordinators and Serena for instance.

And for the record, I consider the Orange League the NIT of Pokemon Leagues (only college basketball fans will get what I am saying).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto

Remix2

Pokemon is historically five months ahead of broadcast. Iwane posted about working on the rotating cut of Dodaitose from Diamond & Pearl Episode #170 two days before Episodes #151-152 aired. Key animation from Best Wishes Episode #20 was leaked to a fansite called Sunshore in late September 2010, five months before it aired. Photos from this article on the creation of Sun & Moon show a calendar that says May 2016. The series premiered in November 2016, six months later.

So basically that mean that the next series could potentially be around either November or December of this year.

If that the case then I have a bad feeling that sun and moon is going to get really rush by the end.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Can’t say I’m that broken hearted. What I am wondering is IF Lillie is going to be apart of the main cast. Assuming the Switch Kanto games are the reason why SM is presumably ending it would make sense to keep Kanto. The series is always hyping up “what type of trainer she’ll be” and even in the original games she sets out to Kanto to become a Pokémon trainer

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Looks like layouts on the next series have started. Iwane, one of Pokemon animators, just tweeted.
https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/998755270766477313
Aww that makes me pretty sad but excited at the same time. Why are the sagas getting shorter and shorter each couple of years? I find it a bit ridiculous as I thought Pokemon main games needed at least 3 years and we literally just got USUM last year (I think). Why are they so eagered to pop out games every year like it's Yokai Watch in a rush. Well, SM was a fun and creative series but since we know nothing about Gen 8 yet, I don't know how we could discuss it. I'm going for an early 2019 release.