• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

DatsRight

That's down to the series premise, not the episodic plots. DP and XY had the standard premise but could have benefitted as well from some more varied laid back stories focused more on the twerps like SM does, over trying to enforce TR/COTD plot lines every episode.

It's not like SM is stagnant in all places after all. We are at least seeing different sides of the twerps through the more diverse stories and access to their backgrounds, while Team Rocket have actually gotten access to the series' power up this series, rather than just being a static comic relief villain the entire series.

Last edited:

DatsRight

MORE BATTLES!

Depends, as it's a 'quality vs quantity' thing. I don't think the writers are capable of writing too many entertaining battles per series. XY tried to keep up a consistent action/battle themed pace, and we just got loads of curb stomps or half finished cop out battles that didn't really have a lot of interesting focus or skill display. I'd rather they just focus on different plot lines and only use battles when they can make a good climax out of it, over shoving in loads of them regardless to whether they were fun or not.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I guess they can animate more battles so that this series has more contrast with the Sun and Moon series in the way of being less vacation-like but maybe not as often as XY so that there is more room for longer and higher quality battles. But as long as it doesn't get in the way of the development of Ash's companions and all of their Pokémon.

DatsRight

I do agree that SM is a bit lacking in battles (and Pokemon related activities altogether to some degree), but I think it has the right idea of deviating from the old formula when things risk getting monotonous. A compromise could work.

After all it's not like any of the twerps really get to improve or show much prowess doing curb stomp battles like against Team Rocket in every episode.

I think the recurring problem throughout the series is getting the twerps to do meaningful things with their Pokemon. Sure slice of life doesn't do much, but pitting them against jobbers every episode is a cheap and boring way of giving them 'experience'. We need more creative circumstances for the characters' goals and how they use their Pokemon's abilities and bonds.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I am curious to see if Ash "graduates" and if the other students actually stay in school or graduate as well.

Yes, I am very interested in this as well, since as of right now I can't quite guess how the generation will end.

XY tried to keep up a consistent action/battle themed pace, and we just got loads of curb stomps or half finished cop out battles that didn't really have a lot of interesting focus or skill display. I'd rather they just focus on different plot lines and only use battles when they can make a good climax out of it, over shoving in loads of them regardless to whether they were fun or not.

And I'd rather they had more curb stomp or half finished cop out battles than episodes with no battles.

DatsRight

And I'd rather they had more curb stomp or half finished cop out battles than episodes with no battles.

But the thing is unless they do something unique with said battles (which is rare) they don't do anything for the twerps. I mean TR aren't really interesting opponents for them anymore, they have zero chemistry with them and said problem of not being a challenge is often implemented in a very boring and interchangeable way. They are pretty much an excuse to make the twerps bland.

Plus a problem with making nearly every filler revolve around a one sided situation where the twerps either win handily or through plot armour means they lose their sympathetic status from all their opponents being the underdogs. Again the aforementioned problem with most antagonists, even non-Team Rocket one shots, being goofy but underpowered foes who the twerps always defeat easily or luck out against and just stonewall in terms of interaction. These aren't interesting scenarios that the twerps can get good personality out of, if anything they're detrimental to making them fun protagonists.

In non-battle episodes we can at least still get unique challenges or scenarios that play on the twerps' personalities or develop them in a more unique way (eg. Ash solving the problems in both the Passimian and Morelull episodes in a way that wasn't just 'Pikachu, Thunderbolt!') or alternatively just have a breather that's fully driven by their own personality.

I feel like Serena would have benefitted greatly from more non-battle episodes in XY for example, since not only was she not a battler, thus battling was mostly irrelevant to her goals nor did she have an interesting battle style, but again, she was being pit against foes like TR who she had no chemistry against and offered no real entertaining challenges relevant to her personality or development, meaning she spent a lot of the non-showcase episodes with zero character agency and stuck in bland roles. The SM characters suffer a similar problem, but that's more down to underplaying their involvement in episodes, and even then we do get exceptions every once in a while that don't involve 'beating up a jobber' and focus more on some unique niche. As you can see in both cases there's a case of the potential being there but not being put to use enough.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But the thing is unless they do something unique with said battles (which is rare) they don't do anything for the twerps. I mean TR aren't really interesting opponents for them anymore, they have zero chemistry with them and said problem of not being a challenge is often implemented in a very boring and interchangeable way. They are pretty much an excuse to make the twerps bland.

Plus a problem with making nearly every filler revolve around a one sided situation where the twerps either win handily or through plot armour means they lose their sympathetic status from all their opponents being the underdogs. Again the aforementioned problem with most antagonists, even non-Team Rocket one shots, being goofy but underpowered foes who the twerps always defeat easily or luck out against and just stonewall in humour. These aren't interesting scenarios that the twerps can get good personality out of, if anything they're detrimental to making them fun protagonists.

In non-battle episodes we can at least still get unique challenges or scenarios that play on the twerps' personalities or develop them in a more unique way (eg. Ash solving the problems in both the Passimian and Morelull episodes in a way that wasn't just 'Pikachu, Thunderbolt!') or alternatively just have a breather that's fully driven by their own personality.

I feel like Serena would have benefitted greatly from more non-battle episodes in XY for example, since not only was she not a battler, thus battling was mostly irrelevant to her goals nor did she have an interesting battle style, but again, she was being pit against foes like TR who she had no chemistry against and offered no real entertaining challenges relevant to her personality or development, meaning she spent a lot of the non-showcase episodes with zero character agency and stuck in bland roles. The SM characters suffer a similar problem, but that's more down to underplaying their involvement in episodes, and even then we do get exceptions every once in a while that don't involve 'beating up a jobber' and focus more on some unique niche. As you can see in both cases there's a case of the potential being there but not being put to use enough.

I'm not necessarily talking about more TR battles, but, for an example from the SM saga, why not show us the end of an Ash/Kiawe battle? It hasn't happened in a while, but I feel like near the beginning of the generation, maybe in the first 20 episodes or so, there were 4 or 5 times that an episode ended at the beginning of an Ash/Kiawe battle, not showing us the end. Why not compress the main plot of the episode which took up all 20 mins into just 16-17 minutes, and then actually show a full Ash/Kiawe battle at the end of such episode? btw, I'm not just talking about Ash/Kiawe, it could be any battle, but just using an example. In the scenario I just said, the main plot of the episode, which has that SM vibe you describe, could remain, but just show us a battle!!!! It's the reason I watch the anime. And I almost find it more disrespectful to tease a battle and not show it, rather than just not having any battles at all.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Everything is normal as always has been lmao
I think he meant about bringing back the travel aspect of the show, having less companions to travel with Ash, Ash competing in gyms, the main Pokegirl competing in a specific goal, the 3rd wheel companion, and so on.

DatsRight

I dunno, I guess as the series goes on, they know they'll be expected to show more experience when they battle, even in a compressed clip.

And I almost find it more disrespectful to tease a battle and not show it, rather than just not having any battles at all.

You mean like the billions of build ups to a battle we had in previous series which got called off or interrupted by something like TR. Yeah, that's not just hyping the audience up for nothing. At least SM has had maybe all of three of those.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
You mean like the billions of build ups to a battle we had in previous series which got called off or interrupted by something like TR. Yeah, that's not just hyping the audience up for nothing. At least SM has had maybe all of three of those.
It would be cool if the anime was like the mangas, no Ash, Pikachu & TRio, only the regional male & female game protagonists. But I guess, they wanted to keep the formers because they're more recognizable for the kids.

I won't lie to you, but I started to struggle watching the recent SM episodes, not saying the past series are better or anything. I think the slaptick comedy & slice of life start to wear off, not to mention the lack of battles.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
More battles means more time is needed for the production. Something is going to suffer and it would probably be the battles. Not that I don't mind BANK animation after BANK animation, but Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki has made Sun & Moon's focus on character animation first and foremost, something nearly nobody has a chance to do in the Japanese animation industry and it's been a big draw for talent since it means getting to do things outside of battles for once. Shifting the focus to means a completely different feel for the series and moving away from the formula that has been a big success for them for the past two years. It'd be pretty unlikely for the next series to make that big a change.

That said, with the movie production likely finished the number of good animators available ought to return to the level we had forty episodes ago, so it's possible we could see some more battles soon since Iwane and Tu won't be the only good animators left on the series.

DatsRight

I think this is just another case that makes the writers' biggest obstacle with the show evident; making the protagonists proactive to the plot.

Sure the twerps progressed quicker in earlier series but notice that was often less through intuitive ways and more just standard plot armour, things HAPPENING FOR them, eg. DEM evolutions or move learns, Pokemon wanting to be captured. I am hoping SM's story telling is something of a 'baby steps' approach, with them focusing on some basic storylines where the twerps are involved and maybe next series trying to merge that with more dynamic and creative situations for character involvement.

I suppose in best case scenario they're have a compromise, edging a LITTLE more into classic style at times with a few more battles and captures, but also still developing on SM's more character driven scenarios and finding ways to merge that with more dynamic arc focus.

I admit I wouldn't mind if next series had the usual team of three or four trainers. It's obvious SM is struggling with six, plus Pokemon numbers are obviously more paltry shared between them (XY had about six or seven non-Ash Pokemon as well, but shared between half as many trainers it looked palpable, and allowed more to be spared for later captures to keep things dynamic). Had SM used the usual smaller protagonist number, and combined that with it's current more diverse plot lines and the animation focus on all the teams, things ironically might have been pretty evened out.

Hell Lillie's already had a story arc and Kiawe's one of the more active male companions, and cutting out the other three companions' episodes and captures and giving it to them would have probably made them pretty fleshed out on paper.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
No. Noooooooooo!!
I always hated those, like what's the point? I miss the episodes where a whole battle or two lasted the entire episode. It was always intense seeing if Ash would win against that person or not.

I'm not a battle junkie so I'd rather there not be battles every episode. I definitely wasn't a fan of those boring training episodes back in DP. They'll more or less be run of the mill and forgettable. Just enjoy the small training moments that Ash's Pokemon frequently put into themselves. I feel like in SM, they put less battles than normal to hype it up like it's an awaiting event. Otherwise, we'll just get meaningless battles that are far from entertaining.

DatsRight

The thing is that battles (especially one sided ones that involve just spamming 'Dodge!' and signature attacks) only go so far into showing off a protagonist as a proactive character. I think a reason the first two seasons of the OS stuck out for example is because while the battles often weren't great, the plots allowed for more variety in what the protagonists did. Misty didn't exactly have a good battle run but she could be kept busy in other ways, same for Ash in Kanto despite his 'pity badge' run. Notice that by Johto, when the battle formula had more or less fully set in, the fillers became more monotonous and there was less for the non-Ash characters to do.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The female leads need more battles that are not interrupted or incomplete, without any DEM or cheap wins, and also don't involve Team Rocket in them.

Ash also needs less battles except for gym battles, trials, or whatever, and the league. He doesn't need any more than that imo.