• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Ideally..... retire Ash. Bring in new character/s that we follow for the season.

Far as Ash goes, Id rather seem him back to traveling. I dont mind if they wanna spend chunks of episodes in one location, but eventually strike out from there and go do other stuff elsewhere.

So i guess ideally a halfway point between gens 1-6 way of handling things and gen7.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Well considering gen 8 is most likely gonna be the first home console generation for the games, I think it'd be a good time for some change.

- Current anime continues in whatever art style, being kid and comedy focused
- More serious anime launches to appeal to teenagers and adults in a serious art style and with a serious plot (aking towards Pokemon Origins)

That'd make most people happy I think.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I want something like DP with the art of either MHA or Durarara. Not a fan of the super over the top cuteness. As for the theme we don't need super dark but we don't need over the top comedy either. If we could get a steady flow of plot that would be nice.

I think Ash should go to mark the shift from handheld to home console.

If the anime is truly for kids keeping Ash is silly. They could replace the main lead ever 3 to four years since they are focusing on the new kids over older fans. Keeping Ash would make sense if they wanted to focus on older fans. Heck with the way Ash's personality changed from BW to XY to SUMO it is like he is a different character over the same so I don't see the issue they have. I'm still salty that the boy with the Rockruff could not be the main lead.

Red and Blue

I don't think SM will be the end of Ash's journey. He could still win the Alolan league and decide to continue onwards into Gen 8's region. Especislly if they do another alternative to gyms.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
hopefully like SM and not like XY
I would like it if gen 8 was more like the Battle Frontier except with less fillers and less Team Rocket and a female lead that has a co-star status and battles alot with a battling goal. Also the group should only consist of her and Ash.

Obviously this thread has kind of devolved into "what I want" rather than actual evidence-based speculation for Gen VIII, but what I will say is that the girl doing a battling goal is something I've wanted for a long time, and in fact I was really hoping when USUM were first announced that they would have gyms -- then Lillie could have done the gyms while Ash kept doing the trials.

The Hoopa movie was just one complete travesty but that’s for another topic.

Agreed. And even if it had been mature, I still wouldn't consider the whole Gen VI anime mature because of one movie. I mostly focus on the episodes when having that discussion.

I would like if the next show would focus more on continuous story parts.

I will use SM and example.

PART 1 (Meet New friends) - 12 episodes
  • First two episodes introductory to introduce the setting and characters
  • There are 5 companions this time so use 2 episodes each to explore their characters and goals.
  • Also have Tapu Koko slowly stalk Ash through this and next arc observing him before he appears in Arc 3.
  • Show Rowlett as a background character

PART 2 (First Pokemon) 2 episodes -
  • Ash encounters Rowlet, first episode is a meeting rowlet and finding a solution to the problem, second solving the problem (through battling of course)
  • Ash will encounter TR here (why they are here and how they got their Pokemon will be explained in part 5)
  • Establish litten as a background character

PART 3 (Enter Tapu koko) 2 episodes -
  • Ash encounters Tapu Koko battles it get ass handed to him has training
  • Next episode he rechallenges and battles Koko but Koko after a few minutes stops it and flies off leaving a Z-Ring with the crystal.

PART 4 (Learning about Z-Crystals) - 2 episodes
  • Ash here learns of the Z-Crystals mechanics from Kukui and Kiawe and spends 1 episodes training
  • Next episode challenging Kukui to a battle (establish Kukui as a bad ass battler here) to test out the Crystals power but it fails like in the anime leaving Ash a little depressed
  • Ash says he won't give up till he succeeds and Kukui tells him maybe to try out the trials
  • Introduce the Vuplix egg here don't focus too much on it and occasionally show the kids taking care of it in the background.
PART 5 (Flashback TR episode) - 1 episode
  • Flashback of TR coming to Alola and establish their reason to come there (foreshadow Giovanii's intrests in Ultra Worm holes and UB
  • They meet beware who was show in the first arc
  • They encounter Ash during a trek through forest and you know what happens next. (Reached part 2)
PART 6 (The Kahuna and the Trial) - 2 epsiodes
  • Ash encounters Hala in episode 1 where his character is established, same way as in the anime
  • Ash says he wants to challenge Hala but he refuses telling he is a little busy and as offers to help
  • And defeating gumshoos
  • Next episode show Ash using a computer to study the Normalium Z and have the battle with Hala and defeat him. Same as in the anime
Part 7 (Lillie and the Egg) - 1 episode
  • Have Lillie have to take the egg to the school having to go through renevations.
  • Mallow is busy so Ash reluctanly (Because he want to train to use the Normalium Z with Rowlet) accompanies Lillie till Mallow gets back from the cafe.
  • She feel bad that Ash had to abandon training and tells Ash to training with her butler.
  • The rest is the episode is the same events from the anime
Not going to do the whole series but my point is continue each story part from Each other and atleast have one reference from the previous episode to establish continuity, SM does this a lot more than previous gens but not enough IMO.

Also if you want to establish plot points add them into and episode before you get to the episode where that plot point is addressed and explored and have them appear in some episodes

This is pretty cool, but seems like a rather slow pace -- we might need another 4-year gen to make something like this work out.. with that said though, the two 4-year gens are my favorite gens of the anime, so I definitely think that having more time to flesh things out is better -- I just don't know whether we'll ever get it again.. I'd love a 4-year gen again though!

Is it going to be more like older games where the PC is front and centre, or will it go the SM route and have the PC share the spotlight with an NPC?

Because my friend has a theory that the Switch games are going to have a mobile PC rather than having to go to the Pokémon Center each time to swap out your team, I first read this PC as the PC storage system, and had to re-read several times to understand that you meant player character lol. haha

I liked the XY filler with Team Rocket disguised as the twerps sans Clemont. James trying to imitate Ash by saying "We train hard!" while the boy with his Pancham wondered why James's "Pikachu" was floating in the air.

That costume then proceeded to become so popular that it featured in another episode and even an opening. So that was definitely indeed a great filler.

They don't even reanimate their motto these days.

Yeah but their motto doesn't appear every episode anymore either -- frankly I can't even remember the last time they said their motto.

older guy

No, I'd rather not have any older traveling companions again. As different as they are, the one thing XY and SM have in common that I've really liked is no one being older than Ash -- he doesn't need that older person to guide him anymore. Starting in Gens I and II where both companions were older, then only one (Brock or Cilan) and now none, I've liked Ash's progression to not needing older companions anymore.

I'm 90% they won't be keeping the current style next gen (which is perfectly fine by me). Whether they revert to the 'classic' style or go for something entirely different once more (which again would be fine by me, depending on the execution) remains to be seen I guess

Maybe the two new styles they've introduced in Movies 20 and 21 are ways of experimenting for which one should be brought to the Gen VIII main series?

I don't think SM will be the end of Ash's journey. He could still win the Alolan league and decide to continue onwards into Gen 8's region. Especislly if they do another alternative to gyms.

especially because it's the first time the Alola League's ever being held, making it a weaker league, meaning he could win it and still reasonably lose the next league.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Obviously this thread has kind of devolved into "what I want" rather than actual evidence-based speculation for Gen VIII, but what I will say is that the girl doing a battling goal is something I've wanted for a long time, and in fact I was really hoping when USUM were first announced that they would have gyms -- then Lillie could have done the gyms while Ash kept doing the trials.

I have to say that I would love to see the girl doing a battling goal. I actually thought there was a possibility of Serena doing that in XY given the lack of secondary quests in the game save for the Battle Chateau or the Battle Maison.

especially because it's the first time the Alola League's ever being held, making it a weaker league, meaning he could win it and still reasonably lose the next league.

I actually hope that this is the case with Ash in Alola. Having him win the Alola League would show progression towards his goal, but the fact that it is such a new league, and likely won't have all that many competitors, means that when Ash loses to either the designated Champion, or is beaten by the first challenger to his position, that he still has a ways to go before being among the best.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I have to say that I would love to see the girl doing a battling goal. I actually thought there was a possibility of Serena doing that in XY given the lack of secondary quests in the game save for the Battle Chateau or the Battle Maison.

I actually hope that this is the case with Ash in Alola. Having him win the Alola League would show progression towards his goal, but the fact that it is such a new league, and likely won't have all that many competitors, means that when Ash loses to either the designated Champion, or is beaten by the first challenger to his position, that he still has a ways to go before being among the best.

Also the fact that Ash could be the only one with past league experience

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Also the fact that Ash could be the only one with past league experience
Seeing him lose despite his past league experience, would just hurt his character more, and people would only call him a loser further more. I thought everyone learned their lessons about the Kalos league outcome.

But the writers don't care because him and Pikachu are the mascots of the show and they're not willing to grow with the old fans as long that those characters are profitable for the franchise.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Seeing him lose despite his past league experience, would just hurt his character more, and people would only call him a loser further more. I thought everyone learned their lessons about the Kalos league outcome.

But the writers don't care because him and Pikachu are the mascots of the show and they're not willing to grow with the old fans as long that those characters are profitable for the franchise.
The only good thing I've seen is him making progress most leagues so at least that happens. I feel the show really doesn't need mascots or t the very least would suffer if Ash was replaced.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
And moreover, it is really horrifying seeing not only the production side but many diehard fans as well, anesthetized their minds by repeating this "magical free pass" over and over, to the point of giving in and accepting the "fact" that this show is trash and hence we can't help but to accept the trash, in the same manner as you are stuck in a country of high rape crime, hence in order to resist rape you learn to find enjoyment in being raped.

OK, the comparison may be overdone, but still, it doesn't change the condition of wrongs were originally on the provider side but imputed the guilt to the receiver side who couldn't appreciate their result due to poorness.

First that is single dumbest comparison I have ever seen, to watch the Pokemon is something people have a choice to do and rape well I am pretty sure isn't and please stop using extreme situations to compare to something mundane as watching a children's show. If you want a proper comparison compare to something like eating at a fast food joint.

Is it wrong to refuse against poor quality? No, I don't think so. That is the basic right of consumer. Although the standard of "quality" especially TV program is very subjective, but I'm sure sure everyone has a lowest bottom line where you don't expected or even wished the show to go lower than that. Going below that shall be rightfully deemed as "unacceptable".

Now to you points of the anime being trash or low quality which is complete bs. The show is far from that, the only thing poor from the show is the story telling because its target demographic is kids and they aren't concerned with whether adults watch it or not. And if an adult want they could watch if they don't mind kids show cartoon. Also the rest of the anime is further from trash, it have great music/OST, great consistent animation (and its a weekly anime)

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The only good thing I've seen is him making progress most leagues so at least that happens. I feel the show really doesn't need mascots or t the very least would suffer if Ash was replaced.
Well, they should balance the cast more, giving more spotlights to the companions, since they have only one region run before they're gone. I'm sorry that I dislike Ash, but I've seen enough of what he can do and his feats for over 20 years, regardless of his regional incarnations. I just wanted to see the companions for a change, especially I don't have any issues to root for the underdogs, because they're fresh to me.

Anyways, if the producers/writers don't want to fix the issues, I guess that's too bad. I accepted the show for what it is after XY(Z), and watch SM and probably the Gen 8 series more casually.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Well, they should balance the cast more, giving more spotlights to the companions, since they have only one region run before they're gone. I'm sorry that I dislike Ash, but I've seen enough of what he can do and his feats for over 20 years, regardless of his regional incarnations. I just wanted to see the companions for a change, especially I don't have any issues to root for the underdogs, because they're fresh to me.

Anyways, if the producers/writers don't want to fix the issues, I guess that's too bad. I accepted the show for what it is after XY(Z), and watch SM and probably the Gen 8 series more casually.

If they really want to keep Ash they do this while focusing on newer characters and at the same time possibly cutting out most of the padding episodes.

They could introduce about 5 rivals for Ash to face of in the League like in B/W but instead of bring them back in one-off episodes where they can't really showcase them dedicate atleast 10-15 episodes to each of the rivals (like Mega evolution special but it won't be a special). It will be like canon side stories that are told in conjunction to the main (Ash's) story and explore the rivals more with being tied down by the main cast.

Ex. Ash and co go to the first city gym beat and wait for few days in the city. Then focus the rest of the rest of the episodes to rival one on how he started his journey and his journey to the city where he will meet Ash and the rivalry would begin.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

My issue with companions is feeling they have too many. Heck it feels they can not handle more than two. Which makes me feel Ash needs to travel alone or Gen 8 should be just Ash plus new girl. I'd be fine with Gen 8 having the new girl alone for like 4 or so episodes she meets Ash who she begs him to mentor him and we get that for 20 or so episodes. Than the shift can focus on Ash for a bit. Or if they really want to be fresh have Ash mentor her for the first half of the season only to have her end up being a rival for him and she goes on her own.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'd be fine with Gen 8 having the new girl alone for like 4 or so episodes she meets Ash
Dawn was alone for 3 episodes, and Serena was alone for 7 episodes.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I may sound a little biased but a PokeGirl doesn’t need need to have battling goal for me personally...just actually battle. Iris wasn’t a battler as part of her goal but they found ways to force her to battle with rivals, tournaments and the back story with Drayden. It just seemed after that they wanted girls to just stay “cute” and let the male protagonist handle the problems. For example I was happy with Serena battling Ash at the end of the series but it had me scratching my head how could Braxien even keep up with Pikachu when the latter made it to the finals of the Kalos League and the former had yet to finish a battle in the entirety of the series. So yes, not a battling goal per se for me but I want female characters to be more apart of the action. It seems they’re pushing Lillie into that position by having her slowly learn how to use Snowball and teaching it moves (Family Determination, SM60). I’m still hoping that they develope Lillie into a league rival... I’ve hoped that since early in the series. Anyway yeah battling for girls please

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The first thing they should do is make Ash a more interesting character. There is nothing in his personality that makes me want to invest in him, no long-term internal or external conflict that makes me enjoy his character. Sure, you can make him champion, but stories like those are a dime a dozen on fanfiction.net

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I never said anything about older guy leading Ash, I am just talking about what cast I'd like which is Brock third version.I'd like Tracey to return as a companion.They need to do jim justice since he appeared as MC the least amount of time.

DatsRight

The first thing they should do is make Ash a more interesting character. There is nothing in his personality that makes me want to invest in him, no long-term internal or external conflict that makes me enjoy his character. Sure, you can make him champion, but stories like those are a dime a dozen on fanfiction.net

I truthfully think SM made a good step in the right direction since they focus a lot more on his standalone personality and dynamics over just his goal driving him along. I still don't think he's a bastion for complexities and character development arcs, but he is right now a guy you could put in a random situation and he could play it out in a distinctive amusing way, and I think that's what most matters. Some protagonists work approachable and simple in handling, it's just making a difference between that and writing them bland.

I don't really find myself caring if Ash loses the league over and over, really if anything they seem to be playing more and more on the irony he can achieve just about anything else. The only reason this became a problem in XY was because they tried to have their cake and eat it too by hyping up a possible league win after all this time, otherwise the story worked deliberately around Ash being a moral victor.

SM is still kind of in a primordial state with many things, but I do like some of it's experimenting and trying to make the formula more diverse and character driven, along with trying to give some of the mainstay elements a bit more freshness. If it keeps trying to fine tune and compromise, next gen could be very nicely balanced.......or they could just decide to trash almost everything with potential like they did BW.