1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Power Up, Apr 20, 2018.

1. AznKei

AznKei Getting ready for Pump It Up XX.

If the anime producers/writers can listen to us and really deliver it of course. Otherwise, divisions among the fanbase is inevitable unfortunately... :/

2. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

No, I was a quiet kid with 10 years old. And most 10 years old don't are like that. They don't get amazed over every stupid thing. They don't go running into walls.

3. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

He ran into walls in ONE episode. ONE. Out of over a hundred. In an episode that most people agree went overboard with the slapstick. It's far from representative of Sun/Moon.

4. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

Here's my list for a New Year's wish list for the coming of Generation 8 I like to see happening for a new change to break things in the formula from the other generation series to see to come.

Ash:
    Like for his facial look get back to normal like in his other generations.
    New Pokémon battle for Ash to do something new for a change like tournament battles would be okay (like in BW) than not entering another Pokémon league( we know he will lose in the next generation) I like for him to win in something different like he did in other generations that aren't a Pokemon league maybe a little but different like OI or BF. I think the next thing I would like for him to do something different almost like enter another league but different. Like a school Pokemon tournament battle. Ash battle against school trainers from other schools or other class trainers from his school he goes against. And it would turn into a group battle like something from DP double battle or a new change of battle a 3 triple group battle. Three team trainers vs against another three team trainers. :)
    Some of a few old of Ash's Pokemon travel with him again. He has Pikachu with him always. I say like two old Pokémon come on his journey while he can only get three new pokemon along the way.
    And last like for Ash get back to the way he was keeping his character and personality balance. I miss the loveable Ash I used to see him from his other generations until XY made him sound like a robot losing some ways of his character and part of his personality.

Companions :
    2 or 3 companions travel with Ash ( two girls , two boys or one girl and one boy)
    IF one or two old character does travel again with Ash that would make me happy ( still waiting for Iris and Serena get their cameos return or the writers/ producers are planning something different for their returns to be different)
    It would be great also to see Tracey travel again with Ash get more spotlight and some development too.
    New ideal Poke girl I like to see travel with Ash different from his pervious female companions ,not a gym leader, coordinator, performer( if the showcases were fix to make it better how it should played out not Baking or pop quiz crap)

Team Rocket not appear for one generation but a different trio group comes to break things in the formula not appearing in every episode plot or being blast in the sky or not doing similar to Team Rocket making robotic machinery crap and not doing a motto introduction. But also they are not villians but idiots and being jerks who they are. One group came to my mind and some of you may like or not like seeing them (which I know what most of you will say is "no) but it would help for a new change and we haven't see them since long while in the OS and appeared also in Pokémon Chronicles. And it happen s to be the " Invincible Brothers" ( I know what some of you, your answer is going to be about them and I understand won't change your answer about it)

And that's pretty much it just to clear think I like to see happening in the coming of the generation.
    Give me your answer everyone.What do you think about it. Goodnight, and I will be seeing your comments in the day time.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  5. Power Up

Power Up ...

Do you really want us to list every stupid face/slapstick pulled off by Ash in SM?

6. Sceptile Leaf Blade

... are you for real? Post was about Ash running into walls. Where in my post does it say anything about faces? Don't go pulling in different subjects. It's not even remotely the same subject...

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  7. Power Up

Power Up ...

Because the stupid faces are stupid? :rolleyes:

They all fall into the same category of stupid gag comedy used by SM

8. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The thing was that the previous art style using in BW and XY had become the opposite approach and not expressive at all. In fact some attempts to get a different emotion on Ash's face besides 'stern enthusiasm' actually looked rather awkward in how rigid they were.

Sure SM goes too far at times, but I don't consider that the fault of the default art style and more gags insisting for lots of 'super deformed' antics.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  9. Sceptile Leaf Blade

1) Whether or not something is stupid is well, quite frankly, your stupid opinion. I think it's charming and funny.
    2) It's not the same. Slapstick targeting Ash is occasionally criticised for humbling down Ash and making him less cool. Expressive faces are used to exaggerate and create comedy that way while simultaneously conveying emotions, and everybody in the cast gets them. They're not the same thing, don't lump them together as if they are just because you hate both.

10. Power Up

Power Up ...

1. Did I ever proclaim it was objective? My stupid opinion however matters more to me anyway. I don’t understand how Ash running into walls or sticking his butt in the air is charming or funny, but hey I’m not you

2. They all fall into the category of gag comedy and it is all used extensively in SM. I don’t see how Oak’s faces convey emotion after the umpteenth time he does or it any of the other cast’s overblown reaction to the smallest things for that matter as well anyway. The “ expressive “ faces look dumb as well to me especially since they’re overused and unneeded.

11. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

OS series and even AG series had some of the best humour in the anime history and they didn't had to use the awkward faces, so to say that making epressive faces just to convey emotions is BS. The slapstick comedy is the biggest downpoint of this series even more than rushed plots or not focussing on companions.

SH65, JC317, LilligantLewis and 2 others like this.
  12. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Yeah, OS never did slapstick or exaggerated faces. Come on. These are all from the same episode:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. AznKei

And do you think that the Pokemon anime would go back to its roots when it's about comedy like in OS. To me, I don't think so as the franchise did change since 20 years ago.

14. Sceptile Leaf Blade

No, it's a very different style of humour. OS was downright abusive a lot of the times (and just plain weird), the humour mostly came from the characters physically abusing each other because they couldn't do subtle or realistic interactions at all. They just used the magically appearing giant hammer to clobber the other to show annoyance. Alola is more environmental slapstick, it's not mean-spirited because the cast members are friendlier to each other and treat each other like actual people. It's nowhere near as mean to its protagonists, and instead finds its humour and amusement in more subtle interactions.

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy in criticising exaggeration in Alola and then stating OS was any better.

satopi and lolipiece like this.
  15. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Still OS didn't go to the lengths that SM is going in terms of face slapstick comedy even though it was in 90's and pretty much all the humuor animes in 90's and early 00's made these faces.

pokfans, LilligantLewis and Dragalge like this.
  16. AznKei

Well, I'm writing this in comparison on how Blue/Gary from the games was different from Pokemon Red & Blue to Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee. I read from a director that they couldn't make a rival acting like a jerk anymore and since 20 years ego, the mentality on how they see the franchise changes.

17. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

One thing Gen 8 needs to incorporate is a sense of risk in the journey. Whenever any hero goes on a journey in any given story, there is a risk.
    • A knight that goes off to rescue a princess risks being eaten by a dragon guarding a sorcerer's tower.
    • A student going into a test risks the tiger parents' opinions as well as family honor.
    • A time traveler risks keeping an apocalyptic future as the status quo.
    In Pokemon, I feel like there are no stakes as of late. The only series where I have felt risks present are OS and DP, both of which have it as a part of personal pride. Gary's ego challenged Ash's own ego and Paul challenged Ash's personal ideology and battle philosophy.

satopi likes this.
  18. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

But OS never crossed line, and don't have risk make for kids physiological trauma. And - because it's beginning of story, those faces was acceptable and fine.

pokfans likes this.
  19. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Really? Do you want to use a episode about a haunted tower to say that OS and SM are equal?

LilligantLewis and Genaller like this.
  20. Sceptile Leaf Blade

I never said OS and SM are equal. That's your interpretation that I already falsified in a previous post on this very page. Also, nice throwing stones from that glass house of yours.