• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

DatsRight

What would he do? To keep Nebby in a pokeball forever? Ash has no fault in this.

It's a forgivable error (Lillie herself didn't really hold him at fault) but the matter still stands that before that Ash didn't really treat Lillie's condition that seriously, he didn't try to keep his Pokemon under control when she was around, he didn't try to maintain an environment where she wouldn't be triggered. It took until that incident which severely traumatised Lillie to realise he had to treat her more gingerly and compassionately. She was not just another sidekick on a light hearted adventure like in past regions.

Epicocity

Knowing someone and knowing something about someone is very different. Just because a person knows you on a surface level doesn’t mean they know your fears, hopes and backstory. Episode points within the series are irrelevant because it’s quality versus quantity in this scenario. He knew about Blaze/Chimchar’s backstory in episode 51 of DP and only knew the basis of Lyconroc’s fur issue in in episode 47 of Sun and Moon. Notice there’s only a few numbers in between those episodes but the knowledge he has of each of them are vastly different. Just because he knew Lyconroc longer doesn’t mean he knew everything about it. He knew Chimchar’s backstory in more depth thanks to Paul. You can’t compare the two scenarios when the level of information was different. Alain still didn’t challenge his stance, ANYONE could of stopped Ash’s winning streak and the arc still would of been the same, so that argument falls flat. Gladion still challenged Ash’s uniqueness and left Ash himself questioning his uniqueness as well.
Except here's the thing: Lycanroc's fur issue came out of nowhere. There was a whole (made-up) flashback where Rockruff didn't have a problem. He knew Rockruff, it was just that Lycanroc decided to randomly have an issue.

That, however, doesn't erase the core of Ash's character, that is that he is a person who doesn't stand around worrying about what will happen or what's going on. He jumps into action no matter what it is. This is his friend and his companion; he's not going to not trust them or not jump in to help. That's asinine to suggest any of that. You're using some strange semantics to support your point.

And maybe "anyone" could have, but not "anyone" did. Alain did. Thrice. He was also explicitly a foil to Ash, who is affected by Ash through the rest of the series. Comparatively, Gladion is around but he's doing his own thing and Ash, from time to time, stumbles in his path. But he doesn't change Ash, and nor does Ash change him. Unless you can tell me just where Ash questions his own uniqueness outside of that singular episode and how it's changed him as a character.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Except here's the thing: Lycanroc's fur issue came out of nowhere. There was a whole (made-up) flashback where Rockruff didn't have a problem. He knew Rockruff, it was just that Lycanroc decided to randomly have an issue.

That, however, doesn't erase the core of Ash's character, that is that he is a person who doesn't stand around worrying about what will happen or what's going on. He jumps into action no matter what it is. This is his friend and his companion; he's not going to not trust them or not jump in to help. That's asinine to suggest any of that. You're using some strange semantics to support your point.

And maybe "anyone" could have, but not "anyone" did. Alain did. Thrice. He was also explicitly a foil to Ash, who is affected by Ash through the rest of the series. Comparatively, Gladion is around but he's doing his own thing and Ash, from time to time, stumbles in his path. But he doesn't change Ash, and nor does Ash change him. Unless you can tell me just where Ash questions his own uniqueness outside of that singular episode and how it's changed him as a character.
Satoshi will change ....not way sm fan think it will because he will learn nothing about what he did in sm era

Redstar45

That still doesn’t make Alain significant. He beat Ash but that’s all he did to “challenge” him. That really isn’t significant, the whole point of Pokémon battles is to win or lose so naturally one of them had to win and the other had to lose. If simply defeating an opponent in a battle counts as challenging morals than the bar must be set pretty low. I wouldn’t call that a ground breaking rivalry. If anything would could say the example you’re using is just a poorly rehashed version of Ash’s depression after the Lake Vaerity battle with Paul. You asked if Gladion challenged Ash, not the details of it so the “singular” episode is neither here or there. I’m not even going to go into the Lycanroc’s fur issues because the anime clearly explained where it came from in the Ula Ula arc. You first tried to argue that Ash knew Lycanroc better (which is false) and now claiming all these characterics about Ash and that he’s somehow suppose to execute them no matter what.
Problem is that Satoshi had't change all that much after event of that episode and Lille had not grow as much as you like to be to believe to be.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
One thing's for sure. If we have a league, then we should at least be given some bigger stakes. I'm not talking about executing losing competitors. I'm talking about a reason why we should care if Ash loses rather than shrugging or getting frustrated because of how he supposedly "deserved" to win this one.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
One thing's for sure. If we have a league, then we should at least be given some bigger stakes. I'm not talking about executing losing competitors. I'm talking about a reason why we should care if Ash loses rather than shrugging or getting frustrated because of how he supposedly "deserved" to win this one.
We most likely won't get anything like that though.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I think the fans should get over regardless of the league quality/outcomes. It's not like the anime producers would suddenly get sentimental just because the viewers are frustrated on what they're watching.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As a character, most of his development is derived when he has rivals to challenge him and his stance (Gary, Paul, Sawyer, Alain in particular), which Gladion doesn't really do here for the most part. But as a result, Ash's character has suffered, most seen during the Nanu Grand Trial. Ash in DP didn't hesitate to throw himself in the line of fire to calm Chimchar down, telling him he believes in him. Ash in SM gets scared and worried about Lycanroc throwing a tantrum and is told he doesn't trust his Pokemon. It's a massive dissonance. Plus they just removed his wanderlust with little to no explanation.

To be fair, the rival thing might be related to how GF is approaching rivals. There was an interview with the LGPE staff where they say that rivals like "Blue" are no longer as acceptable as they used to.

Thus why they seem to push for more friendly rivalries in the games. That probably applied to the anime as well. Note that even Alain wasn't antagonistic towards Ash like Paul or even Trip were.

JC317

So I've been thinking about Pokemon's connection with Yokai Watch and how it'll affect the Pokemon Gen 8 anime.

While the Yokai Watch craze has died down a lot when compared to its peak, it is still one of the most popular media franchises in Japan at the moment and has a lot of parallels with Pokemon. Looking at just the anime, both of them air on TVTokyo, and both of them are produced by OLM.

Why do I bring this up? As some of you might already know, the Yokai Watch anime that is currently airing is actually a sequel to the original anime series called Yokai Watch Shadowside, which takes a darker and more mature approach to the franchise. But what might come as news is that they are actually planning to reboot the anime series in April of this year, by rebranding the anime as 'Yokai Watch!' and going back to what the series was orginally known for: slapstick comedy and lighthearted, kid-friendly episodes.

As for why this is related to the Pokemon anime? First I think we should look at the big 3 currently airing anime series of TVTokyo, which are Pokemon, Yokai Watch, and Boruto. If we have to add another anime to that list, then the next biggest one is definitely Fairy Tail. Right now, Pokemon is probably the only one out of the 4 anime which is wholly aimed towards a younger audience, with Yokai Watch Shadowside being more mature, Boruto being like Naruto before Naruto Shippuden, and Fairy Tail being halfway through its final season and about to head into its climax.

However, this changes in April with Yokai Watch shifting back to it original format. While I agree that this alone would not be enough reason to believe that the Pokemon Gen 8 anime, another factor to consider is that Fairy Tail will be reaching its conclusion soon. With a scheduled 51 episodes, the final season of Fairy Tail will be ending in late September/early October.

With the conclusion of one of their biggest shounen animes, I think TVTokyo would want to have another anime series ready to take its place to hold onto their audience. With Boruto still fairly away from a timeskip ala Naruto Shippuden, I think a perfect candidate would be the Pokemon Gen 8 anime, as the Pokemon Sun and Moon anime will probably be ending around that time period as well.

Of course, the Pokemon anime is and has always been a family friendly anime, so it is in no way a perfect subsitute for Fairy Tail. But I do think that if the Pokemon Gen 8 anime goes back to the traditional format of Ash and friends travelling around, the adventure style of Pokemon alone can probably draw in an older audience. If Yokai Watch can do so with Shadowside with some degree of success, I have no doubt Pokemon can do the same shift but even more successfully.

In addition, since Yokai Watch will be back to its old format by the time Pokemon Sun and Moon anime ends, TVTokyo can be assured that they still have a big anime series that is geared towards a younger audience.

While I am probably looking too much into this, what do you all think about this theory? Do you think the progression of other anime series on TVTokyo can affect the writing direction of the Pokemon Gen 8 anime?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So I've been thinking about Pokemon's connection with Yokai Watch and how it'll affect the Pokemon Gen 8 anime.

While the Yokai Watch craze has died down a lot when compared to its peak, it is still one of the most popular media franchises in Japan at the moment and has a lot of parallels with Pokemon. Looking at just the anime, both of them air on TVTokyo, and both of them are produced by OLM.

Why do I bring this up? As some of you might already know, the Yokai Watch anime that is currently airing is actually a sequel to the original anime series called Yokai Watch Shadowside, which takes a darker and more mature approach to the franchise. But what might come as news is that they are actually planning to reboot the anime series in April of this year, by rebranding the anime as 'Yokai Watch!' and going back to what the series was orginally known for: slapstick comedy and lighthearted, kid-friendly episodes.

As for why this is related to the Pokemon anime? First I think we should look at the big 3 currently airing anime series of TVTokyo, which are Pokemon, Yokai Watch, and Boruto. If we have to add another anime to that list, then the next biggest one is definitely Fairy Tail. Right now, Pokemon is probably the only one out of the 4 anime which is wholly aimed towards a younger audience, with Yokai Watch Shadowside being more mature, Boruto being like Naruto before Naruto Shippuden, and Fairy Tail being halfway through its final season and about to head into its climax.

However, this changes in April with Yokai Watch shifting back to it original format. While I agree that this alone would not be enough reason to believe that the Pokemon Gen 8 anime, another factor to consider is that Fairy Tail will be reaching its conclusion soon. With a scheduled 51 episodes, the final season of Fairy Tail will be ending in late September/early October.

With the conclusion of one of their biggest shounen animes, I think TVTokyo would want to have another anime series ready to take its place to hold onto their audience. With Boruto still fairly away from a timeskip ala Naruto Shippuden, I think a perfect candidate would be the Pokemon Gen 8 anime, as the Pokemon Sun and Moon anime will probably be ending around that time period as well.

Of course, the Pokemon anime is and has always been a family friendly anime, so it is in no way a perfect subsitute for Fairy Tail. But I do think that if the Pokemon Gen 8 anime goes back to the traditional format of Ash and friends travelling around, the adventure style of Pokemon alone can probably draw in an older audience. If Yokai Watch can do so with Shadowside with some degree of success, I have no doubt Pokemon can do the same shift but even more successfully.

In addition, since Yokai Watch will be back to its old format by the time Pokemon Sun and Moon anime ends, TVTokyo can be assured that they still have a big anime series that is geared towards a younger audience.

While I am probably looking too much into this, what do you all think about this theory? Do you think the progression of other anime series on TVTokyo can affect the writing direction of the Pokemon Gen 8 anime?
I don't think that the Gen 8 anime will go back to the old traveling formula.

Redstar45

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I feel like the art style and animation for Sun and Moon will carry over to the gen 8 anime and it will be slightly upgraded.
It will probably have to compete against the new Yokai Watch series that seems to be coming out sometime in 2019 and it looks like the art style for that series is going back to something similar to the art style of their first series.

JC317

I feel like the art style and animation for Sun and Moon will carry over to the gen 8 anime and it will be slightly upgraded.
It will probably have to compete against the new Yokai Watch series that seems to be coming out sometime in 2019 and it looks like the art style for that series is going back to something similar to the art style of their first series.

Yes, as I have mentioned, the new Yokai Watch series is called ''Yokai Watch!' and will be airing in April 2019.

It will go back to featuring its original protagonist from the first series, and the art style, episode themes and target demographic are all going back to the original series.

In other words, Yokai Watch is basically pulling a Best Wishes.

Redstar45

Yes, as I have mentioned, the new Yokai Watch series is called ''Yokai Watch!' and will be airing in April 2019.

It will go back to featuring its original protagonist from the first series, and the art style, episode themes and target demographic are all going back to the original series.

In other words, Yokai Watch is basically pulling a Best Wishes.
Think gen 8 going to be something like gen 4 or six anime?

JC317

Think gen 8 going to be something like gen 4 or six anime?

I hope so, but I think there are good qualities from the SM anime that can carry over.
My wish for the Gen 8 anime would feature a more balanced mix of battle/adventure style episodes and comedy episodes, kind of like Gintama or the original Teen Titans cartoon series.

As for the artstyle, this might seem to come from nowhere, but I hope that the Gen 8 anime can follow the artstyle featured in Hoopa's Surprise Ring Adventure. In my opinion, that features a good blend of SM and XY artstyle. I would show a clip here, but I can't find any on the internet...