• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

JC317

Probably won't happen. I can't see them going back to the old art styles

I think OLM is capable of going back to old artstyles if the situation calls for it. Looking at Yokai Watch, Yokai Watch Shadowside, and Yokai Watch!, we've seen OLM go from kid friendly to more mature and back to kid friendly, with there being no discernable difference in artstyle between the first and third series.

In my opinion, it really depends on what they are planning to do with the Gen 8 anime. If it is still largely similar to SM anime, then no artstyle shift is necessary; but if they are planning on going the more traditional route, then some changes have to be made. Just as XY Ash won't fit as a kid in school, SM Ash might not fit whatever the Gen 8 anime has in-store.

Whatever your opinion is, SM Ash's design definitely gives him a much younger appearance than any of his previous designs. While this works for a school setting where Ash is basically a primary school student, it doesn't really work for a travel setting where Ash is pretty much always on the road. Some good examples would be M20 Ash and M21 Ash, which both come after SM Ash and appearance-wise is slightly older.

Agstrek

Whatever your opinion is, SM Ash's design definitely gives him a much younger appearance than any of his previous designs. While this works for a school setting where Ash is basically a primary school student, it doesn't really work for a travel setting where Ash is pretty much always on the road. Some good examples would be M20 Ash and M21 Ash, which both come after SM Ash and appearance-wise is slightly older.

They could change his design to appear older without changing the artstyle. XY Ash looks older than BW Ash and they both have the same artstyle, so the same could happen with the artstyle of SM aswell.

Last edited:

JC317

They could change his design to appear older without changing the artstyle. XY Ash looks older than BW Ash and they both have the same artstyle, so the same could happen with the artstyle of SM aswell.

Actually, there is a subtle artstyle change between BW Ash and XY Ash. One of the most apparent ones people like to point out is how his teeth and fingernails can now be seen. But there is also the fact that Ash's proportions have been tweaked slightly, making his legs slightly longer and his whole body a bit leaner. Finally, his face z-marks, or whatever you want to call them, are fainter in XY than in BW, and his hair is slightly longer which covers his ears.

You can see this by comparing Ash in the final Best Wishes episode, and Ash in the first XY episode. While they are wearing the same clothes, the artstyle changes mentioned above give Ash a slightly more mature look in XY.

This is not just a design change, this is an artstyle change, it's just much more subtle when compared to DP to BW, or BW to SM.

Edit: Or as I have previously mentioned, Hoopa's Surprise Ring Adventure is a good example. They actually employed animation techniques from SM in those shorts, and XY Ash has yet another artstyle shift in them. XY Ash is very expressive and dynamic in the 6 shorts, and those would give a much better idea of what I'm talking about when I say artstyle changes.

Remix2

I hope so, but I think there are good qualities from the SM anime that can carry over.
My wish for the Gen 8 anime would feature a more balanced mix of battle/adventure style episodes and comedy episodes, kind of like Gintama or the original Teen Titans cartoon series.

As for the artstyle, this might seem to come from nowhere, but I hope that the Gen 8 anime can follow the artstyle featured in Hoopa's Surprise Ring Adventure. In my opinion, that features a good blend of SM and XY artstyle. I would show a clip here, but I can't find any on the internet...

I think they might go with movie 21 artstyle since it the closest to a blend of xy and sm artstyle.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think they might go with movie 21 artstyle since it the closest to a blend of xy and sm artstyle.
if they do I hope they tone down the blush and reduce the gaping holes between the characters' eyes, those are my only problems with the m21 style

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think OLM is capable of going back to old artstyles if the situation calls for it. Looking at Yokai Watch, Yokai Watch Shadowside, and Yokai Watch!, we've seen OLM go from kid friendly to more mature and back to kid friendly, with there being no discernable difference in artstyle between the first and third series.

Actually, on Shadow Side, the artstyle changed for mostly the yokai. The human characters have fairly similar designs. Keisuke doesn't look that different from his father Keita/Nate in the first series.

JC317

Actually, on Shadow Side, the artstyle changed for mostly the yokai. The human characters have fairly similar designs. Keisuke doesn't look that different from his father Keita/Nate in the first series.

Keisuke's actually the fourth protagonist in Shadowside. His older sister Natsume is the main protagonist. Keisuke, like Keita in the first series, is 11, while the other three protagonists are 13.

In addition, the humans in Shadowside have smaller eyes than in Yokai Watch (first series) and Yokai Watch! (upcoming reboot), and humans in the original series also look more stocky. Just looking at Keisuke and Keita who are supposed to be the same age, you can see a difference in their designs.

If you think Keita looks similar to Keisuke, than you're probably looking at his design in Yokai Watch 4, the upcoming game for Switch. This makes sense, as that game is a crossover between the original series, the Shadowside series, and one of the animated films.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
While I do like the m21 artstyle, I think it would expensive to produce in the anime format, having to air a 20 mins episode in almost every week with limiting budget.

As for the anime becoming more dark & mature. I read an article that Yokai Watch suffered alot by doing that because the growing up fans represent a minority and it doesn't appeal to the new younger audience, which represent the majority.

DatsRight

Well in fairness, SM still has dark or heavy subject matter at times, just it maintains a whimsicality about itself.

Concerning the art style, I'd rather they just used the SM one but maybe tweaked it to be a bit more subtle, like the mild but effective changes between BW and XY. M21's art style if anything looks more off model to me, SM Ash at looks like a caricature version of his original design.

JC317

So I found some screenshots on Serebii and IMDB for Hoopa's Surprise Ring Adventures which I feel illustrate my point about how they represent a good blend in XY and SM artstyle:

DP07.jpg
DP27.jpg
MV5BYjllOGY4YWItYmZlOC00ZWQzLTg1YTYtODEzYzE4NmU5Y2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzc5ODkzNDE@._V1_.jpg
DP25.jpg
DP08.jpg
DP11.jpg
DP12.jpg
MV5BNDA2Y2U1YmMtZDBmNy00OGY3LTlmMDctZjI5ZTYwZTM3NGE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzc5ODkzNDE@._V1_.jpg
DP29.jpg
DP30.jpg
DP31.jpg

Notice that while Ash here has retained most of his artstyle from XY, he has slightly softer features and rounder eyes reminiscent of SM and M21. As we can see, the art shifts which happen pretty much every episode in SM can be done really well even with XY Ash, so slapstick can happen at the same time as battles without compromising heavily on either aspect under this artstyle. In addition, these one minute shorts were produced every week on top of the weekly episodes, so OLM can probably handle producing 20-minute episodes every week using this artstyle.

Redstar45

I would be accepted that artstyle as Satoshi still look same as os-xyz Satoshi

DatsRight

I dunno, there's just something about that softer innocently styled Ash that I love with SM. It just punctuates him as this sort of wide eyed weirdo. I also think an extra dimension is given to him with all those adorable vacuous or hyper enthusiastic expressions:

36038681_2156654294576755_2662085244764553216_n.jpg

latest

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I dunno, there's just something about that softer innocently styled Ash that I love with SM. It just punctuates him as this sort of wide eyed weirdo. I also think an extra dimension is given to him with all those adorable vacuous or hyper enthusiastic expressions:

36038681_2156654294576755_2662085244764553216_n.jpg

latest
there are some things that would need to improve about his design tbh, his head is a bit too chubby, his z-marks are huge, his hair isn't spiky enough, and his neck and arms are a bit too thin

DatsRight

there are some things that would need to improve about his design tbh, his head is a bit too chubby, his z-marks are huge, his hair isn't spiky enough, and his neck and arms are a bit too thin

The body proportions I think are just something that comes with the overall art style (which itself comes at least a little from the games' art evolving into something more cartoony). Concerning the facial design however, you mean like this? (Not mine.)

H0u9Aug.png

Is it wrong I think the XY shot is the most awkward looking here? It feels like he can't make any expression but furrowed look natural.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The body proportions I think are just something that comes with the overall art style (which itself comes at least a little from the games' art evolving into something more cartoony). Concerning the facial design however, you mean like this? (Not mine.)

H0u9Aug.png

Is it wrong I think the XY shot is the most awkward looking here? It feels like he can't make any expression but furrowed look natural.
Although, I barely draw anymore, I can relate my style to XY, as I found the artstyle cute imo.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

H0u9Aug.png

yeah, kinda like that, the second one looks great (also, weirdly enough, sm ash tends to look the best when in profile, that's when he feels more like well, ash)

Redstar45

I am cool with middle one as he looks more like classic pocket monsters's Satoshi