• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
TBH, while I really like Yajima and think he's an amazing director for pokemon, I'm not a fan of his way of portraying Ash as a paragon, it worked well in M21 as it was a self contained story that wasn't really that much focused on Ash, but it kinda got annoying at times in XY, as it was a full series that was actually focused on him (not saying paragon protagonists can't work on a series, but with Ash himself it didn't really feel right). An interesting combo would be having Daiki (SM) as the director and Tomioka (DP-XY) as the lead writer, they've worked together to a pretty interesting effect for the Generations shorts, though then again, those were shorts, so IDK if they'd work well together in a full series. Whatever happens, all I hope is that they keep Junichi Fujisaku far, FAR away from gyms/the league
He wasn't a paragon.

Xuxuba

I can appreciate a change in writing style when it's done right, but I think that the anime has made it this far because it followed a predictable pattern. So getting back to basics in the Galar saga still sounds more appealing to me than seeing a more experimental kind of storytelling.
I don't mind them changing things around, but i think the part of traveling and exploring a new region is a very important aspect of the franchise.

IMO, having the characters stuck on the same place for that many episodes hurt the show as a whole.

I know them joining the school was supposed to be relatable for kids who have to go to there everyday, but it failed in that regards because the school felt nothing like a real school and more like a really long summer camp. They could've used that scenario as an excuse to make Ash learn so many new things about Pokémon, the history of Alola and etc, yet more than half of the scenes in the school just had them babbling and doing nothing. I guess they had a school presentation and some excursions every now and then, but that is about it.

DatsRight

He wasn't a paragon.

Maybe not a paragon but very 'vanilla', not really a character that has his own story and immerses much with it but more a catalyst character the rest of the cast developed around. Matsui at least gave Ash foibles back and focused a LOT on his chemistries and interactions with other characters and parts of Alola. Ash still felt like he was actually developing and getting new personal challenges that series (eg. solving things without battling, being invested in other's agendas or traditions and learning to be more tactful towards them). I do understand people thinking Ash is too goofy and bumbling in SM, but him being more emotive and still having enough of a fallible characterisation to sympathise and make stories with I think is the right way to go about him.

I do definitely think Ash works with each new region offering him fresh challenges and scenarios, not just repeating his battle arc in a different backdrop. I get the school isn't the best premise for that, but another case where his approach is significantly altered in some way could be fun to watch.

J.Agera

Maybe not a paragon but very 'vanilla', not really a character that has his own story and immerses much with it but more a catalyst character the rest of the cast developed around. Matsui at least gave Ash foibles back and focused a LOT on his chemistries and interactions with other characters in SM. Ash still felt like he was actually developing and getting new personal challenges that series (eg. solving things without battling, being invested in other's agendas or traditions and learning to be more tactful towards them). I do understand people thinking Ash is too goofy and bumbling in SM, but him being more emotive and still having enough of a fallible characterisation to sympathise and make stories with I think is the right way to go about him.
It is a slice of life show, he is staying at a place. That's why we see Ash dealing with household activities and local activities. But he has no significant development throughout the SM series, it feels meaningless to me because SM Ash feels like a completely different person than XY Ash. If he had the exact same personality as XY Ash and saw him learning household stuff as departure from his previous intense adventure and saw him finally relaxing contrast to his goal focused behaviour, sympathising with others, it would feel more meaningful. The personality change was unnecessary and that's what make me dislike the show most.

He helps lots of people through out his journeys. So I think that still works in his adventures.

XY Ash didn't have the best development (DP Ash level) , and needed some more work and I agree with that but atleast he had a major development arc in XYZ. And he was more goal focused so I get that he didn't focus much on sympathetic interactions and household activities later in the series.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Early XY Ash was all about his interaction with other characters and showing off his personality, but it seems like people can only remember how he acted in XY&Z, which was where he indeed became a more serious person (and i found that justifiable given the nature of that arc). Regardless of that, they still focused a lot on his interactions with other characters. If anything, he interacted far more with characters like Sawyer than he ever did with Hau and he interacted more with Lysandre than he did with Guzma.

Also, i don't think it's fair to say he didn't have development in that series, when we had instances like Korrina's arc where he tried to learn how to dance so he could copy Tierno's style only to find out that he should just be himself, or Snowbelle's arc where he remembered why he became a trainer in the first place and it wasn't for the sake of winning battles, but becoming closer to Pokémon. We also had small developments in almost every gym battles, like him becoming a bit more patient and not trying to finish things as quickly as possible when he was up against Ramos.

There were also episodes where he tried to understand his pokémon better and was able to become closer to them, like when he couldn't understand why Fletchling was upset, then Ash realized his pokémon had a issue with his small size and encouraged the small bird to fight against Fletchinder. Or when he found out why Goodra was so scared of everything, helped him to get over that fear and then had to deal with the fact that Goodra belonged to the swamp, not with him. And that is just to name a few.

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Well since we’re all nitpicking..screw it, forget XY Ash and SM Ash. #BringBackSavageAsh

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Well since we’re all nitpicking..screw it, forget XY Ash and SM Ash. #BringBackSavageAsh
If he got battle skill and less a-hole sure i am okay although in Japanese he isn't that "savage" ....especially earlier days of the Pokemon anime show.

JC317

If he got battle skill and less a-hole sure i am okay although in Japanese he isn't that "savage" ....especially earlier days of the Pokemon anime show.

Yea, in the Japanese version, Ash was just kind of... mean to Misty. All of his savagery in the English dub was added in by 4Kids, along with TRio's excellent sense of humor and puns.

Ash is too much of a good boi to be mean or savage to other characters nowadays; even with all of BW's regression, Ash never really went out of his way to be mean to Iris...

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yea, in the Japanese version, Ash was just kind of... mean to Misty. All of his savagery in the English dub was added in by 4Kids, along with TRio's excellent sense of humor and puns.

Ash is too much of a good boi to be mean or savage to other characters nowadays; even with all of BW's regression, Ash never really went out of his way to be mean to Iris...
Yeah and he was sort mean to Hauka in ag era and had little spite fight with hikari and iris time to time.

DatsRight

And then TPCi kept ONLY the puns. :p

In fairness Misty I heard was much more vain and aggressive in the original version as well, even smacking Ash several times early on.

SM seems to have readded subtle moments of Ash being sarcastic in even the Japanese edit, even if they're more playful or dumbed down (eg. being jaded towards Rotom giving bad/redundant advise). I suppose if Rotom stays and maintains his more annoying qualities that chemistry might stick.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:

In early OS he tended to be more blunt and straight to the point than he is now, even in the Japanese version although he wasn't quite as sassy as he was in the English version, which is ironically one of the few changes that the 4Kids dub made that I appreciated. I don't think Satoshi will become more like that in the Galar saga however since it seems like most people would rather see him behave with more maturity in Gen VIII.

J.Agera

In early OS he tended to be more blunt and straight to the point than he is now, even in the Japanese version although he wasn't quite as sassy as he was in the English version, which is ironically one of the few changes that the 4Kids dub made that I appreciated. I don't think Satoshi will become more like that in the Galar saga however since it seems like most people would rather see him behave with more maturity in Gen VIII.
I feel like that would be more consistent. Let him continue with his personality from the XY saga.
As much as I love savage Ash, I think people need to stop clinging to his old self and accept his development, that's better for the character.
Maybe make him mock team rocket and evil characters, that's something I would like to see.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I don’t get what development he went through to go from savage Ash to whatever he is now. Development usually involves some external force that the character went through that changed them. And nobody can blame it on the years that’s went by since it’s already established he’s immortal. I see no problem with wanting savage Ash back; he was more bearable back then. Unfortunately the writers are content writing him every witch way in correspondence to the current saga.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
‘Savage’ Ash is not and doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive to mature, competent Ash. The two can coexist. There is no contradictory force that says Ash can’t be snarky and witty while also being an experienced battler/mentor; just look at his DP depiction. People are conflating established character traits and quirks with major flaws, the former being ‘savage’ Ash that had been a thing until somewhere in BW and was at its peak in AG. What makes a character develop from clear flaws is, like Sham said, usually an external or internal force sparking a change. Ash hasn’t gone through anything to warrant losing his snappy deadpan wit.