• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you expect the writers to go about writing the 8th gen?

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
What a joke of a battle! At the time, beating a Mega rarely happened in the anime and was meant to be difficult, now Hawlucha just beats Mega Absol without us even understanding why? One of many jokes in the giant JOKE that is the Kalos League!!

actual ratings are defined as % of TVs nationwide that are tuned to that channel. This is what @PorcelainVulpix was referring to when saying that Indigo League went as high as 18 sometimes, highest XY&Z was 6.
1. We don't know how the whole battle played out. Some of Ash's previous Pokémon might have weakened the mega Absol. That's the logical explanation.
IMO the only thing wrong with the Kalos League is that it's rushed.
2. I thought the highest XY ever got was 5.0? Anyway Thanks for the info. So the ratings purely depend on watch time and not quality and feedback and it is only limited to the Kanto region so it can't really be used as a solid source.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
1. We don't know how the whole battle played out. Some of Ash's previous Pokémon might have weakened the mega Absol. That's the logical explanation.
IMO the only thing wrong with the Kalos League is that it's rushed.
2. I thought the highest XY ever got was 5.0? Anyway Thanks for the info. So the ratings purely depend on watch time and not quality and feedback and it is only limited to the Kanto region so it can't really be used as a solid source.
How are you contradicting yourself? The fact that it was rushed is EXACTLY WHY we didn't see the rest of that battle? We both agree on the same problem?

Ratings mean little and less in the modern era of viewing TV but some modern ratings calculations involve not just live but "live + SD" (same day) and "live + 7" which includes everybody who watches an episode within the first week.

Essentially, ratings are the most important mostly for sports and other live events these days.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
How are you contradicting yourself? The fact that it was rushed is EXACTLY WHY we didn't see the rest of that battle? We both agree on the same problem?

Ratings mean little and less in the modern era of viewing TV but some modern ratings calculations involve not just live but "live + SD" (same day) and "live + 7" which includes everybody who watches an episode within the first week.

Essentially, ratings are the most important mostly for sports and other live events these days.
Not to mention that apparently they (IDK if it was OLM or TV Tokyo) said that they didn't really care much about Pokemon's ratings anyways

What little worth SM has made, is overshadowed by the net major net negative it had on the anime. Going forward, the Galar region should go right back to the roots of Pokémon and cut the losses from SM.

Refining the best regions of the anime, DP and XY, is the way for the anime to go. Whatever mold SM broke was not worth it all since in my eyes it was a utter failure in mostly all aspects. On a narrative level, SM was unable to create a strong engaging plot nor was it able to make the filler episodes funny or entertaining enough to justify the absurd amount of irrelevance much episodes amounted to with the constant padding and exposition especially apparent in battles. Writing seemed focused on comedy and attempting to craft the most mindless idiocy going into making such episodes. Recent episodes include the utter failure of that league battle with Hau.

There’s a lack of depth in SM especially regarding their characters. Bar certain episodes and moments, on a episodes to episode basis, the characters are more used to make funny moments and jokes than to advance their respective character arcs, non withstanding that a lot of them don’t have character arcs nor are they strong enough to be satisfactory.

Not only on a narrative level, but on a technical level, SM failed with SM with directing being utterly subpar, especially in battles.

Going forward, Galar should try to replicate DP and XY and remove the mediocre filler in both series with DP being especially worse. The strong narrative structure apparent in both series with engaging and interesting character arcs should be refined and improved upon in Galar. Creating flair in characters should also be a priority and using aspects of OS would go a long way as well in making memorable characters. Note, flanderizing characters is not the way to go.

An example of this done well would be the Mega Evolution Episodes and XYZ, both going long ways to develop strong characters and match that with an engaging plot.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
i consider pkmn masters the game to be part of the 8th gen, so i hope the anime incorporates stuff from this game

You mean a dating simulation about Whitney talking about her milkers Miltanks and underage gym leader praising you to be more special than her brother in the SwSh anime?

Probably to mature for the kids but i would watch that

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]

I am not contracting myself. The league was rushed, but just being rushed dosen't make it a joke.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Power Up said:
I agree, but there's a difference between the humour in OS and SM. One has actual strong comedic dialogue and the other is a mediocre attempt at using slapstick and idiocy

I agree. OS was good at doing a natural kind of humor that didn't feel so contrived, whereas with SM's humor you can almost see the gears turning in the writers' heads. Their efforts are just too transparent and I hope the Galar saga isn't the same as SM when it comes to comedy.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I agree. OS was good at doing a natural kind of humor that didn't feel so contrived, whereas with SM's humor you can almost see the gears turning in the writers' heads. Their efforts are just too transparent and I hope the Galar saga isn't the same as SM when it comes to comedy.
I still think the comedy was edgy in OS and it was more tolerable for the 1990s childrens than now imo. I mean in my hometown, there's a significant difference with the society/culture between 2 decades.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
I still think the comedy was edgy in OS and it was more tolerable for the 1990s childrens than now imo. I mean in my hometown, there's a significant difference with the society/culture between 2 decades.

The comedy back then was more violent than the comedy now when you realize how many times the writers got away with having Kasumi physically attack Satoshi back then for instance. I kind of miss things like that though because it was the kind of slapstick comedy that was genuinely funny to me unlike the stuff that we get now that is more reliant on face faults and references to other anime.

I want the writers to confirm once and for all that beating someone in a battle doesn't automatically make you better trainer/Pokémon overall.

It's a common misconception whenever someone wins a battle, it means he's stronger than his opponent, or at least is on their level. I believe, just like in real life sports, if you win one out of ten battles against another trainer or Pokémon, you're not stronger overall. It's just anime often doesn't have enough screentime to show those "ten" battles, but it shouldn't be used as a excuse to claim A is stronger than B just because he beat him once.

I'd like to see it explictly stated in the anime once it happens.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I want the writers to confirm once and for all that beating someone in a battle doesn't automatically make you better trainer/Pokémon overall.

It's a common misconception whenever someone wins a battle, it means he's stronger than his opponent, or at least is on their level. I believe, just like in real life sports, if you win one out of ten battles against another trainer or Pokémon, you're not stronger overall. It's just anime often doesn't have enough screentime to show those "ten" battles, but it shouldn't be used as a excuse to claim A is stronger than B just because he beat him once.

Well, in the games you can literally disband evil mega corporations by winning battles

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

There's a thing called Battle Points (BP) in video games where the player competes against others, and which a higher BP gives you an indicator how good you are, despite not really implemented in the anime. Sure one victory doesn't automatically make you better but many consecutive victories is, unless you got extremely lucky or your opponents were told to take the fall against you.

Leonhart

Imagineer
maartjeverhoef said:

I dislike that sometimes Satoshi winning a battle is interpreted as him being stronger than his opponent, too. In the case of him defeating Shinji for example, as much as it had to happen to give Satoshi a long-awaited win against his greatest rival, I still think that Shinji was the better trainer since he was better at tactics and training overall. But I doubt that the Galar saga will change much regarding how wins are portrayed since the writers probably don't care about that stuff as long as they follow through with the plot.

Blastmaster

Tbf with Pokemon, it's also a matter of literal strength along with skill. With a lot of Ash's rivals, the idea is that Ash is just outmatched in both of those things (especially strength), so by the end of the rivalry Ash has caught up and proves it by beating them. If you're comparing it to other competitive games, like say Smash Bros for instance, that game is designed to give pretty much every character a similar amount of power. Beating someone 1/10 times in Smash doesn't make you more skilled since you've always been fighting on even grounds strength-wise. With Pokemon, you can't just be skilled, you also have to be strong. With Ash, I think the idea is that he's only truly fighting on even grounds at the League.

Like for example, Paul was actually much more strategic than Cynthia in their battle. Using positive type matchups as well as baiting her Garchomp into using Giga Impact so it'd be wide open to Torterra. But it didn't matter, since Cynthia was just so much higher in terms of sheer power. If they were fighting on even grounds, Paul should've actually won. But they weren't. It's the same idea with Ash and Paul (and Ash/Gary and Ash/Alain). He's outmatched for most of the rivalry, and needs to catch up so he can finally give them an even battle and win. (Except against Alain lol)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Only one of Ash's travel partners over the years has been shown to have a serious health issue. That was Clemont.

Heavy physical activity tied him out numerous times which is likely indicative of sickle cell.

If one of Ash's Galar companions has something wrong with them it would be great writing. It would be something for people in physical distress to rally around.

JC317

Only one of Ash's travel partners over the years has been shown to have a serious health issue. That was Clemont.

Heavy physical activity tied him out numerous times which is likely indicative of sickle cell.

If one of Ash's Galar companions has something wrong with them it would be great writing. It would be something for people in physical distress to rally around.

I think Clemont is really just more unfit than having a freaking chronic disease.

If anything, the only friend of Ash's that has a serious health issue is Sophocles. Obesity should not be overlooked; if Sophocles doesn't lose some weight soon, he'll be having lifelong health issues in the future.