• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel about Ash losing every tournament in Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
For me, it's all dependent on how he does in the Unova League. If he somehow wins the Unova League, or a Battle Frontier equivalent or an alternate league like the Orange League, then I'd be okay with him losing all these small leagues. If he doesn't win the Unova League or any alternate league or a Battle Frontier, then I would not like this at all. Note, though, that if he were to lose Unova and then go back to redo the Kanto League for the filler saga and wins it, then I would not have a problem with that, especially if they reference his losses in the Unova League and tournaments.

An00bis

Wicked Witch

... I don't remember the last time Ash won a Tournament. His wins have mainly been for Gym Leaders and the occasional showdown in the Pokemon League. Other then that I don't remember the last time that Ash has won in a Tournament-like setting. This is just business as usual for him. He usually scrubs through a region as the underdog and pays particular Trainers back in the League.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

... I don't remember the last time Ash won a Tournament. His wins have mainly been for Gym Leaders and the occasional showdown in the Pokemon League. Other then that I don't remember the last time that Ash has won in a Tournament-like setting. This is just business as usual for him. He usually scrubs through a region as the underdog and pays particular Trainers back in the League.

He won the tag battle tournament and Twinleaf Town tournament in DP. He also won both the Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokeringer tournaments if those count.

Back in Johto he won several side tournaments like the Sumo competition with Snorlax, the firefighting one with Squirtle, etc.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I thought that first tournament was designated for Ash to win... then the writers out of no where decide that Iris deserved it more. What was really the worst part was forcing Axew to beat Golett when it was clear that Luke had that match. Didn't really expect Ash to win the second tournament, given Scraggy had to face some stiff competition. I'm okay with Ash losing the Junior Cup, but I still thought it would have been better if Ash beat Trip

I'm not mad at all, but I do want Ash to win a League, then he gets rebooted as usual, but I don't see that happening, it's not impossible, just not very likely (I think).

zeno48

Zaker!
I'm not mad at all, but I do want Ash to win a League, then he gets rebooted as usual, but I don't see that happening, it's not impossible, just not very likely (I think).

Once he wins a league they need to find either someone else to fill his shoes or introduce new elements into the anime to keep people hooked.

I don't get why Ash has to lose the Leagues because the writers want to keep him. If they want to keep him so badly, they could still have him win the League but maybe lose the Elite 4. And then in another region he could beat the League, beat the Elite 4 and lose to the Champion. That would be different than the usual Ash beats his main rival and then loses to a person he meets at the League plot.

zeno48

Zaker!
Or just have him keep winning leagues, given they never change the "I can only beat my rival in the league" routine

No, since that will get boring. Why would people wait 4+ years to have him always win the league and reboot? The games will probably continue. I think people are more incline to have a different protagonist starting out now then back then and i say this because of the positive feedback the new trailer received. They could keep him, but they have to change it up in some way.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Well, if Ash wins a League and then loses to the Champion, I can see him continuing his journey to improve even more. Just like he went to Johto after winning the Orange League, he can continue his travel in order to face more opponents and catch new Pokémon.

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
No, since that will get boring. Why would people wait 4+ years to have him always win the league and reboot? The games will probably continue. I think people are more incline to have a different protagonist starting out now then back then and i say this because of the positive feedback the new trailer received. They could keep him, but they have to change it up in some way.

Why have people been tuning in every new saga to see him lose every League?

It's not like if he wins one people are all of a sudden going to stop watching. The thing that will keep people hooked is seeing if he can win the next one or get past the Champion League, they don't need to switch him out at all.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I still don't get why Pikachu losing to Excadrill is such a huge deal. Iris winning the Club Battle and Ash being runner-up was fine by me, especially as we had recently learned Iris and Excadrill's backstory, which established how powerful a team they were capable of being, and Axew had his first real victory in the same tournament.

As for the Clubsplosion, he was using Scraggy, his baby pokemon who still has a way to go even now. He deliberately challenged himself and with Ash's help Scraggy beat two evolved pokemon and picked up a difficult new attack. All that said, Stephan and Montgomery were undeniably more adept trainers for that sort of tournament and had much stronger and more experienced, not to mention much larger, fighting-types. Ash did just fine and grew from the tournament. That's more important than winning the whole thing when Stephan was the more deserving character for that particular arc.

And then there's the Junior Cup. We're yet to learn how Ash loses to Trip in the finals, but while Trip is a new trainer he's a gifted one who has studied hard and is highly determined. Trip has had some disappointments in the previous tournaments and is now stepping up his game to show Ash must do the same.

Seriously, are surprises of no interest to you people? Ash can't win every time, and they've hardly come up with bad excuses to have him lose. If he lost against Burgundy with a type advantage, THEN you can complain.

People have to remember that even though Ash didn't win a Tournament, he made the Top 4 once and the Top 2 twice. People are crazy if they think that makes him look weak.

People have to remember that even though Ash didn't win a Tournament, he made the Top 4 once and the Top 2 twice. People are crazy if they think that makes him look weak.

Does the rage over the 4th and 8th gyms comes to mind, those were annoying.

This is Sparta.

zeno48

Zaker!
Why have people been tuning in every new saga to see him lose every League?
Because they are waiting for that huge accomplishment. It's the only thing that i can say people care more aside from anything else afterwards. After that what is there to look forward too unless they introduce new elements to continue all this. I don't think having him win a league will encourage people to continue since it will get boring having him always do the same thing. I think at that point a new protagonist will be introduced which i will gladly welcome.

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I kind of wish he won the first tournament, but oh well. That being said, Ash winning a League is far off. If he wins one, the show ends, or it continues and he has to win every League to maintain it, because a community like us will get collectively pissed if he finishes worse. I know that would be the attitude here.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I kind of wish he won the first tournament, but oh well. That being said, Ash winning a League is far off. If he wins one, the show ends, or it continues and he has to win every League to maintain it, because a community like us will get collectively pissed if he finishes worse. I know that would be the attitude here.

The show won't end if Ash wins a league. Stop saying that.

Does the rage over the 4th and 8th gyms comes to mind, those were annoying.

This is Sparta.

The 4th gym made Ash look silly but he still won it so there is no reason to say he was weak there either. And although I don't agree with Ash getting to use 6 Pokemon while Homika only uses 3, that is still 7/8 battles where Ash showed he was a strong trainer. 8th gyms are always shown to be really strong and we had a situation in Johto where Ash was shown he couldn't beat Clair with the Pokemon he had with him at the time. He needed reserves for that. Instead of having Ash have to call on Charizard and Snorlax again, they let Ash use 6 Pokemon instead and that gave Ash a chance to win.

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
Because they are waiting for that huge accomplishment. It's the only thing that i can say people care more aside from anything else afterwards. After that what is there to look forward too unless they introduce new elements to continue all this.

Like I said, to see him do it again or win something else.

If people have continued to watch the show with low expectations of him winning a League since the beginning, what makes you think they would stop watching if he did?

Just because a sports team loses every year and then wins a Championship in one doesn't stop people from watching their favorite team. They want to continue watching their progress just like people will want to continue to see Ash's.

I don't get why Ash has to lose the Leagues because the writers want to keep him. If they want to keep him so badly, they could still have him win the League but maybe lose the Elite 4. And then in another region he could beat the League, beat the Elite 4 and lose to the Champion. That would be different than the usual Ash beats his main rival and then loses to a person he meets at the League plot.

Now, that is one good idea. I wish the anime would follow through like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.