• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel about [SPOILER] not getting past the Grand Festival Appeal Round?

HoennMaster

You guys are only *****ing because it happened at the Grand Festival, had this happened in a regular contest no one would have cared.

I'm glad they did it. Kenny and his team are boring, they were rarely build up and this makes it realistic if you ask me. This way we don't have to waste time from the good battles on him and his boring team. Good move writers.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I'm pretty sad that he lost and left so quickly. He could have fight against her in the semi-final, but it won't happen. It's also strange that a main rival loses at this stage because it never happened in a GF. Maybe it actually happened just to prove that Dawn has really improved by the fact that she made it through the appeal round. I'm sure this is the real reason.

HoennMaster

It has nothing to do with Dawn. Rivals don't always do good. Gary didn't even make it past the preliminaries of the Indigo League. And don't even say contests and battles are different because that's not the point.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Yes it does. Think about it. If he wasn't loses, suddenly people were asking "Why actually Dawn lost in the appeals in the past?". Maybe not, but there is no doubt that the goal here was to prove that it's hard to pass through that stage, that's what they've tried to do many times in this region. Preliminaries of a league is different.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
He lost because he had an Empoleon.

I think I said in another thread that Coordinators don't go well when they have fully evolved starters, not just because they lose their cuteness, but also because they are too powerful to perform in the appeal rounds. I can't recall when May ever used Blaziken in is final form, and according to Bulbapedia, the status of May's Blaziken is currently unknown, which would suggest that off-screen, she has realised this and left him at Norman's gym for Max to look after. This defends the fact I said earlier that Prinplup would have been better off had he not evolved.

But, having said all this, I do wonder how well Marina (chick from L.O.T) does with her Wani-wani (Feraligatr)... maybe she uses her Jigglypuff and Mistrevus in appeal rounds...

Also it could have also been Kenny's strategy that let him down, he used 2 Water types, whereas Dawn experiments with Fire and Ice combos, Ice Chandelier, Piplup & Cyndaquil, etc.

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator

I don't think so. Remember that it was indeed a double appeal, so if anything it was more likely to be Floatzel's fault. Having evolved from Prinplup, Empoleon most likely gained MORE control over its attacks if anything, while the more recently caught Floatzel couldn't boast the same.

I think I said in another thread that Coordinators don't go well when they have fully evolved starters, not just because they lose their cuteness, but also because they are too powerful to perform in the appeal rounds. I can't recall when May ever used Blaziken in is final form, and according to Bulbapedia, the status of May's Blaziken is currently unknown, which would suggest that off-screen, she has realised this and left him at Norman's gym for Max to look after. This defends the fact I said earlier that Prinplup would have been better off had he not evolved.

There are several examples that argue against this. Although unofficial, Blaziken did participate in the final contest between May and Ash, so that gives it a performance under its belt. Other fully evolved pokemon include Venusaur (stillscreen), Beautifly, Drew's Flygon, Harley's Cacturne, Dawn's Mamoswine, Soledad's Pidgeot, and the slew of other fully evolved pokemon that will be seen performing soon in the Sinnoh GF. In reference to Blaziken's status, I'm sure Bulbapedia was referring to its current level of strength and known attacks, given the preceding paragraph.

But, having said all this, I do wonder how well Marina (chick from L.O.T) does with her Wani-wani (Feraligatr)... maybe she uses her Jigglypuff and Mistrevus in appeal rounds...

Also it could have also been Kenny's strategy that let him down, he used 2 Water types, whereas Dawn experiments with Fire and Ice combos, Ice Chandelier, Piplup & Cyndaquil, etc.

Personally, I'm glad that Kenny had such an early loss. Both of the past Grand Festivals have featured all of the rivals succeeding in the appeal rounds with ease rivaling on nonchalance, and taking the opportunity to show that only the best of the best will move on to the battle phase was a point I don't think the writers had yet enforced. Simply put, Kenny wasn't prepared enough (whether that be creatively speaking or experience-wise), and that cost him the Ribbon Cup.

Last edited:

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
^ alright, alright. Just don't get ank involved...

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
There were alot of participants this time, known ones i mean, they had to eliminate someone and they eliminated Kenny, Zoey and Dawn wasnt possible so they had to choose one between the others it was Kenny that got the short stick.

PAKEPAKE

A grand festival is a severe contest.
Rivals disappear fast.

And Sinnoh league is severe, too.
I worry about Barry. He is the same use of Empoleon as Kenny.
Piplup of Dawn seems to say that the penguin is enough alone.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
What was the point of kenny again? this was just fail on the writers part imo. Such a useless character.

Kenny had great use!

1. Showcase Prinplup, otherwise the most forgetable midstage starter.
2. Teach Turtwig Energy Ball, so it could learn the power up thing, which Grotle would then teach Mamoswine.
3. Beat Ambipom so it would change from contests to ping pong.
4. Pikari-mystery, or backstory persona..

But did they have to create a totally different character for that? Nah.. not really..

I'm torn about it. It was an excellent twist to have him lose so fast however, I don't like that he left. He should have stayed supporting his friends.

I feel that if Dawn was in his position, she would have stayed to support him.

I agree with this, Kenny is such a sore loser apparently..

I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of him.

There is bound to be one final ep with all of Dawn's rivals after the GF. Kenny will probably be in that ep and explain what he wants to do.

He'll get closure that way.

I hope he doesn't.. or at least uses some of the pokemon he only used once. Like Alakazam (very powerful but probably ditched by the writers), Breloom (very powerful, why was it used once?), Machoke (only used once) and now we add Floatzel to the line as the seemingly weak link in the team. I disagree with that. Notice a trend in Kenny's team? They are all used only once. While Prinplup was used the rest of the time, making it too powerful. Kenny lost because of his dumb favoritism.

He seems to be old Gary. It had been defeated because of the preliminary contest before he also fought against Ash.

Don't compare Kanto-Gary to Kenny, please don't. It's not that I am a major Gary-fan or anything, it's just that Gary was actually the main driving force of Ash to become stronger, while Kenny was just a character that was just their to be something from Dawn's past. Though Gary and Kenny are similar in that respect, Gary did more then just being their, by being a stimulator for Ash to get stronger.

Second Kenny uses a pokemon that's not Prinplup once, discards it, and plays favorites with the Penguin. While Gary was known to catch many, and train many different types. Those are the differences why Gary and Kenny shouldn't be compared.

Totally Ridiculous. How can Kenny lose the first Appeals Round? Story Writers are finally cracked up. I mean he was not that AMATURE coordinator. I am very disappointed.

But he sure was immature. Poking Hikari and being amazed she didn't think it was funny, really know? He finally got what he had coming due to playing favorites, which is an amateur move. If you're doing a combo, you have to make sure that your combo's power is balanced. Using the pokemon you always use and a fresh new one? That's bound to cause a problem.

Ursula and Jessilina disappear in DP175.
Nando disappears in DP176.
It is only Dawn and Zoey to exist in DP177.

There are five rivals of Satoshi.
It is five people of Paul and Barry and Conway and Nando and legendary Pokemon trainer.

Uhm four rivals, and one legendary pokemon...

What do you mean that Jessilina disappears in DP175? I know you don't always give false information, but for Jessie to leave would be weird, since she's kind of a main character outside of contests as well.. Did you just mean that they lose in DP175? That would still be weird you know.. Dawn having 5 rivals while only battling 2.. and about 3 cotd's...

Well not that big of a deal really , his appeal was good but then the flash cannon + whirlpool failed . maybe he'll explain that his floatzel was newly captured and thus low on experince . And then he'll go off to train or something..

That would be totally unfair to his scapegoat Floatzel then. He played favorites and Kenny made the mistake to make a combo between a totally overtrained Empoleon and a freshly caught newbie.. I agree the appeal was good until he started to let them use attacks on eachother.. If anyone is to blame, it's the ochestrator, and that's Kenny.

A grand festival is a severe contest.
Rivals disappear fast.

And Sinnoh league is severe, too.
I worry about Barry. He is the same use of Empoleon as Kenny.
Piplup of Dawn seems to say that the penguin is enough alone.

I say you shouldn't worry about Barry. Ash will have his battle with him. The thing that made Kenny lose was the imbalance in power in his double appeal combo. Since you don't use attacks on your own team mates in the league, you can be sure that Barry's Empoleon won't screw up.

npdargy312

Master Coordinator
I actually kind of like how one of Dawn's rivals didn't make it past the appeal round. I mean it happens to quite a few coordinators every grand festival (all of that hard work for nothing) so why not see it happen to someone we actually know?

FlyAsADunsparce

I think it's good that Kenny is finally gone! He was, by far, the weakest and the most annoying of all Dawn's rivals (Zoey, Nando, Jessie, Ursula and Kenny) He didn't even deserve to be at the GF imo. He is weak, annoying and his pokémon used in the GF are lame. He should've used Machoke, Alakazam or Breloom cause they're way cooler than the penguin and the weasel!

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

I said something along those lines in another thread but not exactly like this. Contest do seem more suitable for little Pokemon, but evolved Pokemon can win them as well. The Coordinator just needs to know the proper way to use powerful and evolved Pokemon. Remember Dawn made the same mistake with Ambipom when they failed the appeal round in Solaceon Town. Small Pokemon are easier to use in Contest just like big one's for league's but that doesn't mean evolved Pokemon can't be made into Contest Pokemon. Blaziken, Venusaur, Flygon, Gabite, and Mamoswine are all battle Pokemon but there Coordinator's all turned them into Contest star's. Kenny can do the same for his Empoleon when he learns how to use it properly.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Ursula and Jessilina disappear in DP175.
Nando disappears in DP176.
It is only Dawn and Zoey to exist in DP177.

There are five rivals of Satoshi.
It is five people of Paul and Barry and Conway and Nando and legendary Pokemon trainer.

Sinnoh league might have the rival who leaves by the primary like Kenny.

1-There is no confirmation of that they will disappear.
2-And who Dawn is going to fight in seimi-finals in DP176?
3-It won't be Paul nor legendary trainer for sure. And I don't think they will rush the league. If there are 32 people who passes preliminary rounds, Ash can battle all of them, There is enough time for 7-8 episodes for league battles, which will be more than enough for Ash to fight all of them.
4-But still it is possible.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Ah. How could I miss this:

If they wanted one person out of Dawn, Zoey, Kenny, Nando, Ursula & Jessie to not get through, why not Jessie?

It's because Dawn hasn't beat Jessie in a Pokemon Contest yet. Jessie and Dawn both beat Kenny, however, so his chances of going far in the Grand Festival were slim. That's also the reason why Ursula is being defeated first in the Battle Round: Dawn beat her already. Assuming that we'll get no Characters of the Day during the Grand Festival Dawn will beat Jessie in the Semi-Finals and go on to face Zoey who defeated Nando. Why did Zoey beat Nando? Nando beat her in the Hearthome Contest so this is the writer's way of showing that Zoey has improved.

And I don't think anyone would argue that Jessie is a good coordinator and there are plenty of people cheering for her here. For Kenny? That's debatable. Personally I haven't met anyone who actually liked Kenny and enjoyed his character but I'm sure he had his supporters.

One thing that worries me though: I wonder if this will spell an early end for Barry in the Pokemon League ...

Although it was unfortunate that he couldn't perform well in the appeal rounds, I think that was an appropriate end for Kenny.

His whole theme was bigger, stronger Pokémon with powerful moves doing contests. Since the introduction of his character it was apparent.
Prinplup being the evolution of piplup was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate that.
Alakazam - A fully evolved Pokémon
Breloom - Energy Ball was a powerful move that Ash wanted to have his Pokémon learn.
Machoke - Macho...
Floatzel - Other than it being fully evolved, it didn't have much to it, which may be why it couldn't handle Empoleon's attack in Kenny's appeal.

I think it was great that this points further driven by Kenny going out to see Gible's Draco Meteor; if we don't see him again, I don't think that his treatment was unfair because I think I saw a lot in him.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
It's because Dawn hasn't beat Jessie in a Pokemon Contest yet ...
Yes she did. In her second contest (Floaroma) she actually beat her in the semi-final.
And I don't think anyone would argue that Jessie is a good coordinator and there are plenty of people cheering for her here. For Kenny? That's debatable. Personally I haven't met anyone who actually liked Kenny and enjoyed his character but I'm sure he had his supporters.

But Jessie is not Dawn's main rival like Kenny. She'd met him in the kindergarten, he's almost been like Gary for Ash. His rivalry with Dawn might be much more interesting than with Nando or Jessie because they know each other a long time and a battle between them is something special, too bad it won't happen.

TicoPokemonMaster

One thing that worries me though: I wonder if this will spell an early end for Barry in the Pokemon League ...

I hope not because I for one am a Barry supporter. But like someone said Kenny overused prinplup just as much Barry is overusing Empoleon so who knows. I would rather have Conway out first than Barry. Plus Barry completes the circle of the sinnoh starters in the League. The only way that I will accept an early end to Barry is if it is an excellent battle against Paul.

Rizardon

Boulder Trainer
Who cares that he's out?

He's a completely obnoxious and boring character so thank god, no more stupid Pikari-teasings from him.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Yes she did. In her second contest (Floaroma) she actually beat her in the semi-final.

And in Sandalstraw contest too.