1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about the Alola League’s lack of criteria for participating?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Ignition, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Should anyone be allowed to join the League?

1. No, you should have taken the island challenge like the games

48.1%
  2. I like that the participators are familiar characters, but some characters should have sat out

40.7%
  3. I’m ok with how the League is now

25.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ignition

Ignition Incineroar wins yet again (proud of my son)

What’s your opinion on the controversial action of the AL allowing anyone to enter? Would you have preferred if it was just Ash and his rivals like the other Legaues? Or are you ok with it?

Respect others’ opinions and try to explain your stance

Sham and MockingJ like this.
  2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Think I would have just preferred Ash, Kiawe, and his rivals. Since the top 16 were characters we all knew we couldn't just skip the battles not involving Ash or the rivals like past series. If they went that route we could have gotten longer battles and possibly full 6 vs. 6

Xuxuba and mehmeh1 like this.
  3. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

It would feel better if these people had actually earned their way into the league, because other wise you'll be seeing some really uninteresting battles, both in universe and out universe.

SH65, Xuxuba, CMButch and 1 other person like this.
  4. kantoskies

kantoskies Member

It's ok with me. I think that Ash's pals joining in on the fun was a good decision since without them I probably wouldn't have given this League a second thought. Ash is just too boring as the central character.

MockingJ and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  5. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I like it like this a lot more. At least I can be invested in every battle here, as opposed to other leagues where they skip most battles or have random characters like Tierno and Sawyer battling each other. And aside from some exceptions due to episode time constraints the battles so far have been very good. I prefer having the main characters actually doing things and show off how far they've come in the series, it's a lot more fun than having them only spectate and have no plot relevance whatsoever.

Bladewinger and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  6. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

It makes sense in the context of the series, but it's still a bad format nontheless, IMO if they made having a Z ring the requirement things would've been fine (Guzma could've just punked Hiroki and stolen his Z ring for entry, before smashing it in front of everyone right before his first fight started)

Ignition and maartjeverhoef like this.
  7. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

While I do understand many fans' wariness about it, since most previous leagues provided the top tier battles for each series, I think this approach works for the format of SM, and also allows each of the key characters to go out with some noteworthy performance instead of just watching Ash in the sidelines. I do admit it might have worked better as lower tier tournament earlier in the series, with the actual league staying a professional event with maybe Kiawe joining in as well, but it at least keeps the whole cast involved and seeps in some last minute development for each of them. Plus I think after the fake out with the Kalos League some fans would have been pretty jaded about following the usual formula, there's clearly not as much tension with just Ash anymore.

Remember the large majority of activities in SM have involved the whole cast, everyone showing their experience level or how they utilise their Pokemon and just getting to all take part as a group, so it makes sense they get to all battle together as well (plus Ash getting some vindication after sucking at nearly all the non-battle events :p).

mehmeh1 likes this.
  8. I think more traditional league wouldn't have worked in Alola given the small size of the region and the fact that not many trainers take the Island Challange.

However, I'd rather see something like a pre-elimination tournament for all the trainers that didn't take the Island Challange and have the winner/finalists/top 4 advance to the League and join the ones that completed IC (and idk, have them use rental Pokémon if they don't have full team?)... or at least, only the trainers that completed at least one trial/got the Z-Ring should be allowed to participate.

MockingJ likes this.
  9. The girls (Lillie, Mallow and Lana) all did terribly in the league whereas the boys like Kiawe, Sophocles, Ash, Gladion, etc. all did well. I don't know what the writers were thinking having the girls bomb all their battles.

- Mallow freezes during her battle and Tsareena doesn't land one hit before losing.

- Lillie lost to Gladion in a battle that lasted about a minute, didn't do anything but a Z-move that Umbreon seemed dodge and knocked out Vulpix in about 2 hits.

- While Lana beat Mallow by default, when she went up against Guzma she got destroyed and didn't land one hit besides freezing his pokemon's legs for a moment.

Also all the Z-move training was pointless, all the girls Z-moves either failed completely or didn't hit their opponent. It makes all the girls look like they trained for nothing because their Z-moves all failed and they bombed all their battles. At least with Sophocles he got some moments of glory and Kiawe has done very well. I'm really surprised the writers had the girls all bomb and fail their battles so badly, I thought the writers would pretend they were competent battlers or something and have them do well...they actually showed them realistically.

SH65, J.Agera, MockingJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

Watch Guzma vs Lana again, sure, Guzma dominated, but Lana didn't go down without a fight, Guzma looked very ticked off and Golisopod actually looked scared at the end. I've seen people compare it to Bakugo vs Uraraka, where while it looked like a demolition (and only going by succesful hits, it was), the losing side wasn't completely helpless and was actually putting up a bit (though unlike Bakugo, Guzma clearly didn't have any respect for Lana, rather he was surprised and annoyed at her being able to fight back)

11. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I think you should complete at least one Grand Trial to participate.
    The Alola League was a disgrace and should be shutdown

Xuxuba and mehmeh1 like this.
  12. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Like some people mentioned above, i think the classmates' participation felt undeserved. I also think that, if Ash does win the League, it will feel less exciting, cuz after the eliminatory round almost everyone had barely any experience battling.

I get that they were trying to show the classmates' progress as trainers by removing the requirements and allowing them to participate.

The problem is: they didn't actually progress all that much as trainers in this series. They barely fought by themselves, caught Pokémon or trained them, aside from maybe Kiawe.

Sure, they got Z-crystals and learned how to use Z-moves. But you need more than that to win battles.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

They should've never made it that way, that everybody can participate. The SM girls + Sophocles being there is just bullshit and probably pisses of anybody who actually did the Grand trials. Just makes the trial quest even more unnecessary.

Sham and Xuxuba like this.
  14. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I thought it was a legitimate complaint at first, but then trainers showed up with a Salamence, Kommo-o and Metagross.

I think Alola overall is just as competitive as prior leagues. But the reason why isn't the criteria, it's because of the format.

In Unova, most of the characters had really shallow teams. Bianca, Stephan had 3 Pokemon. Iris and Burgundy had 4 Pokemon. Trip started focusing only on his Serperior. All of them had strong, competent Pokemon but they weren't deep enough to handle a 6v6.

Ash exploited this by having a large team where he could play type matchups, like Leavanny v. Sawk. But against someone like Cameron who had a complete team packed with power, he was obliterated.

By keeping the format at 1v1, or perhaps 2v2 for the semis, Alola maintains a high level of competence without exposing the trainer's shallow teams. The trainers are obligated to use their aces and any gimmicks they might have developed along the way.

I feel like this is the real flaw of this league. Trainers don't need 6 Pokemon to enter, so if your metric for gauging a trainer's skill is a strong, deep team, literally every contestant is below standard of Unova, since even Ash doesn't have a full team right now.

I consider Alola one of the stronger leagues, ahead of Kanto, Unova and Kalos. But I don't know if it could surpass Hoenn or Sinnoh just because I don't find training one Pokemon well to be that impressive. Ash was able to train four strong Pokemon in a series that didn't focus on battling. The other characters should be capable of at least two, if not three Pokemon. Even Gladion and Kiawe have two Pokemon they inherited from a relative.

Bladewinger likes this.
  15. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Actually Kiawe only has one. He caught Turtonator and Marowak fair and square and was frequently shown training both of them and getting proper development battles, and even Charizard (who is admittedly his least developed Pokemon) only became a battler proper when he himself utilised him to earn Flyium Z. All three of his Pokemon also qualified him a round, meaning they all pulled their own weight. This is part the reason most think Kiawe deserved to participate, with some eager when it seemed it was ONLY him joining Ash earlier on.

Technically the rounds were all set up in a way whole teams were utilised for the others as well, just they were careful to usually use their comic relief only for the battle royal and mostly advance offscreen, while Kiawe and Ash used their signatures and got heavy spotlight holding ground.

16. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

A trainer can have all the pseudo legendaries in the world and still suck.

Having a Salamance or a Metagross doesn't automatically make them good competition.

SH65, Lunanight, Mr. Reloaded and 4 others like this.
  17. Ignition

Ignition Incineroar wins yet again (proud of my son)

I’m glad this was said. There was a Trainer who signed up for the Sinnoh League and had no significant placings despite having a Heatran.

SH65, Lunanight, keepitsimple and 2 others like this.
  18. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Do you want evidence? Lmao how about the entire show?

You'd think by now you would have learned that a pokémon's species doesn't always define it's strenght. Satoshi has been literally saying this and proving it ever since the show started over 20 years ago.

SH65, mehmeh1, Ignition and 4 others like this.
  19. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Honestly, I've started various competitions in my lifetime. The Alola League is fairly accurate to real life competitions. The qualifying criteria starts out simple like fill out the waiver, pay the fee, and follow the rules. As things get bigger, you need more qualifying criteria to limit the spots you can take for logistical purposes.

Leonhart likes this.
  20. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

The term pseudo legendary itself is a fan made any no legendary pokemon with bae tat of 600 i called as pseudo legendary. It i not given any sort of legendary status by any of the game developers.

Lunanight, mehmeh1 and Xuxuba like this.