• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel about the contrast in references to past sagas from BW to BW2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunter ゴースト

As we know, BW began in 2010 and had little to no references at all to past sagas (very minor, Oak, Tracey, Delia etc. were hardly memorable/notable compared to how they're treated in BW2). It's no lie that the anime followed the games Black and White, and this was accepted by everybody for the first 86 episodes of Best Wishes, and once BW2 began and followed Black 2 and White 2, the references to past saga's came flooding in on a frequent basis.

Personally for me, I find it very annoying how the first half of BW had literally nothing, and BW2 suddenly has all of these references. Don't get me wrong, I like the references, but my point is I wish they had simply been spread out throughout the whole Best Wishes Series instead of being focused purely for BW2, and brought in so suddenly 86 episodes into the saga.

How do you feel about this?

Two more little questions related to the above:

-Do any of you find it annoying how only Eastern Unova was specifically stated to have past generation Pokemon yet now the gang have left that area (since the league) that past generation Pokemon appear everywhere? No explanation at all?

-So Ash looked back on Charizard today, obviously because 'plot', but why couldn't he have reminiscent on Buizel and Corphish, heck even Dawn's Quilava when he saw all of those too? I know that Charizard returning is most likely due to it's popularity, but it just bugs me that he suddenly rememebers Charizard despite seeing other Pokemon he owned prior.

I'd just like to state that i'm not bashing, I think the references in Best Wishes to past saga's are the best thing this series has done, with Charizard and Mewtwo returning and the general plot for Episode N happening I feel it's done Best Wishes justice and has given it a reason to be a favourite, I'm just annoyed on how random things have been handled.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Meh, we got Prof. Oak and Tracy references in BW...

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I know we got references, but they were still little to none regardless.

Yes but you can't say that there were absolutely no references to the older regions. As you said, they were just following the games.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
We didnt' see old pokemon before, because thats how it supposed to go, until Gamefreak decided to change that in the second game.

I'm not bothered, we got a few references, its not like we got a bunch of references to old series in AG and DP, we just had old pokemon around, apparently Hikari didn't know crap about Satoshi other pokemon until the league, just like Haruka didn't know much until she came to the lab.

Haunter ゴースト

Yes but you can't say that there were absolutely no references to the older regions. As you said, they were just following the games.

I never said we got none, I said we got "little to no references", however after you commented I edited about Tracey and Co. since I expect a lot of people will say the same as you.

We didnt' see old pokemon before, because thats how it supposed to go, until Gamefreak decided to change that in the second game.

I was talking more along the lines of references to previous saga's, however yes my little question below about past generation Pokemon could have been explained better if you ask me. From BW2-E1 through until the end of the League it made sense since it'd be stated that older gen Pokemon appear in Eastern Unova, however the gang have left Eastern Unova and still see them now frequently.

I'm not bothered, we got a few references, its not like we got a bunch of references to old series in AG and DP, we just had old pokemon around, apparently Hikari didn't know crap about Satoshi other pokemon until the league, just like Haruka didn't know much until she came to the lab.

Hmm in AG that's true, but during DP we had frequent references to TR's older Pokemon, older characters returning and references to past episodes such as Ash's first day of being a Pokemon trainer. There was more, but my point is that besides Ash's older Pokemon returning we did have a lot.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

What are you talking about? Max watched Ash's Johto league matches on TV before he even met him.

Haunter ゴースト

What are you talking about? Max watched Ash's Johto league matches on TV before he even met him.

I agree.

I remember when AG had just started and Ash tried to use Bayleef forgetting he'd left it behind, I take back what I said before to PepsiPlunge actually, AG had a lot of references even before BF.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I agree.

I remember when AG had just started and Ash tried to use Bayleef forgetting he'd left it behind, I take back what I said before to PepsiPlunge actually, AG had a lot of references even before BF.

Well Ash did mention Ho-oh to Dawn in the 4th DP ep.

blob

-Do any of you find it annoying how only Eastern Unova was specifically stated to have past generation Pokemon yet now the gang have left that area (since the league) that past generation Pokemon appear everywhere? No explanation at all?
Not really. It's the same as there being no Johto Pokémon in Indigo League, then when Ash goes back to Kanto from Johto, there's a load of Johto mon there.

-So Ash looked back on Charizard today, obviously because 'plot', but why couldn't he have reminiscent on Buizel and Corphish, heck even Dawn's Quilava when he saw all of those too? I know that Charizard returning is most likely due to it's popularity, but it just bugs me that he suddenly rememebers Charizard despite seeing other Pokemon he owned prior.

No, because they were shown in DP, while Charizard was last shown in AG.

LizardonX

Banned
Well they probably just forgot that past gen pokemon existed before BW2. Or a mass migration occured in the 3 months following junior cup.

gohan5

Irisboy

This pretty much.

They followed the games with the Pokemon, and there was no real reason to hammer Oak/Delia/Tracey/older mons into our heads if it had nothing to do with the current story. They had plenty of references to the past, people choose to ignore them.

Related to the last question, Charizard was the only one that he wanted to see strongly enough. And it's not like he didn't recognize those Pokemon, he just didn't feel the need to have an in depth flashback everytime he sees a Pokemon he owns or recognizes lol.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
i find it annoying how cilan was like, ohh kanto pokemon are rare in unova, even though there are tons of them over the Bloddy mountain
wth!!!

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature

Well that's in game so it didn't bug me. It bugged me in-game but my friends joked it was because of the guy who sends them over. And derp I read that wrong.

Honestly I never noticed. ._.;

He was hit by a wave of nostalgia from the Kanto fair and went "derp I have a Charizard--good times" and it proves that Charizard is Ash's second favorite Pokemon from Pikachu.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
i find it annoying how cilan was like, ohh kanto pokemon are rare in unova, even though there are tons of them over the Bloddy mountain
wth!!!

This is BW2, Cilan's words are perfectly just. It's meant to represent the BW2 games.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Actually didn't people make a big fuss about Pikachu? I don't think you can find wild Pikachu in BW2 (correct me if I'm wrong, I can't think worth squat). But I do like the unova Pokemon only stuff better. That made them feel so far away and so different from people in Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I do dislike inconsistencies in general to be honest, but I sort of understand [some] of them. Like the "only Generation 5 Pokemon in Unova" thing from early BW. I mean the writers simply tried to simulate the games, so I can't completely fault them. I don't know. I guess I'm so used to inconsistencies in the anime that I've sort of grown immune to the latest ones.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
It was just another idea that fell flat on its face once the writers realized how bad an idea it was.

At first they wanted the whole "Generation 5 Pokemon only" thing then they realized "Oh crap, this entire franchise was built upon catching every single one of these things and not just a select few!" and they probably didn't think that people not seeing their favorite Pokemon wouldn't go over so well.

I always thought it was a dumb idea from the start

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
You seem to always make Past References Threads don't you Haunter?:p

It was just another idea that fell flat on its face once the writers realized how bad an idea it was.

At first they wanted the whole "Generation 5 Pokemon only" thing then they realized "Oh crap, this entire franchise was built upon catching every single one of these things and not just a select few!" and they probably didn't think that people not seeing their favorite Pokemon wouldn't go over so well.

I always thought it was a dumb idea from the start

I don't think they realized it was a bad idea. They just wanted to do that & since Eastern Unova features older Pokemon it made sense. But inconsistencies are everywhere, they just added older Pokemon to areas that aren't even part of Eastern Unova, it's not like fans are going to riot & complain over it. Like someone else mentioned, it's exactly like Kanto having only Gen I Pokemon but when Ash visited Kanto for the Battle Frontier, we had episodes about Sneasel, Aipom, Slaking, Scizor, Elekid, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.