• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel about the removal of traditional aspects in Pokemon Games?

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
With the announcement of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, one of the big things that stood out to most fans was the removal of Wild Pokemon battles. This isn't the first time they've removed something that we once considered traditional, they did it previously with the removal of Gym Battles and HM's in SM/USUM, or even with things like the Battle Frontier that were hugely popular but they only carried into 3rd and 4th Gen and then discontinued even in the Ruby and Sapphire remakes which was a disappointment and is STILL a big request to have in new games for a lot of people. As a long time fan, I don't really like this trend of stripping away and simplifying everything and fear that this may continue in future games such as Gen 8 with more removals of traditional aspects that gave the games so much of their challenge, charm, and identity.

How do you guys feel about this? Is this a good or bad trend for the franchise to continue following?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I doubt the removal of Pokemon battles will be a thing outside of the Let's Go games.

Manchee

extra toasty
Even though LGPE is a "remake," I don't consider it to be like the other main series games. Withe "Go" being part of the title, and with it being able to send and receive Pokémon with Pokémon Go, I consider it to be more tied to that than and typical generations. I expect other aspects of it to be stripped down, but I'm not expecting those changes to be seen through into Gen VIII. I really think that they wanted to experiment with the removal of Gym battles and know not to do something like that again unless they are sure the next thing is better than what they would be replacing.

I do, however, support the removal of more inconvenient things like HMs. Not sure if I care much for the call Pokémon, but I definitely like not having to teach un-erasable moves to my team.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
One removal that was worthy of appearing on Jimmy Kimmel's Unnecessary Censorship segment was the Game Corner. I don't believe for one second that it will lead people to have gambling problems in real life.

Manchee

extra toasty
One removal that was worthy of appearing on Jimmy Kimmel's Unnecessary Censorship segment was the Game Corner. I don't believe for one second that it will lead people to have gambling problems in real life.
I totally forgot about the removal of the Game Corners.

Oh yeah! That was a while ago, too... I remember it being a weird thing that HGSS had going for it when they came out and I was very confused that some people could wind up with a gambling problem from Pokémon. Like, could you imagine that therapy meeting? Or having to explain to your family why you lost all the savings? "Pokémon did it to me when I was a teen! The pretty colors and spinning wheels got me hooked!!!!"

M.P.

Retired
I'm fine with removing aspects if it's something that is inconvenient and feels like it belongs to the past, like HMs were.

I'm also fine with removing more "crucial" aspects as long as there's a proper replacement for them. For example, trials replacing gyms was fine to me, catching minigame replacing wild battles (thankfully only in Let's Go) is not.