• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel about the SM arcs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 384931
  • Start date

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The thing is many previous series' attempts at being serious and action packed still felt rather clumsy and pretentious, while SM at least makes fun of the fact it's not quite solid as an 'epic'. The characters are intentionally bumbling instead of just forced into plot enforced stupidity and cases like the Ultra Beast face offs are anti climatic in a way that plays into the plot rather than going against the tensity it wants to convey. Let's be fair Ash has more personality when he's deliberately written as bumbling, compared to cases where they try to write him as hyper competent but still makes stupid mistakes for the sake of the plot.

Most of the rare times SM tries to be deadly serious it just ends up suffering the same problem as the series before, as the anime as a whole just isn't tightly woven enough to be treated seriously.

It's only clumsy to those who have become cynical and tired. Comedy can only get you so far. And in the long run, it doesn't solve the underlying issues. Only cover it with a thin layer of paint that can be easily peeled.

Pokémon's best episodes are the episodes where it does takes itself seriously for the moments that matter the most.

Honestly, Satoshi is at his best when he's either a genuine inexperienced trainer (I Choose You works well because his inexperience is played for both laughs and drama) or when we see how he impacts others around him.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I dont think SM arc are bad, in fact i think they have been good but the problem is the pacing and taking out some elements out of game, all the SM arcs have been fast paced and were finished way too early, also aether arc was also fast paced and it was watered down version of game version due to lusamine being good and gladion not being an edge lord, but it still had given lillie and gladion some good character development.

D

Deleted member 384931

Problem is that sm anime is try to be a yokowatch and when they try best in their storyline that serious but it is not what sm anime is about ........a compy show that you as watcher meant to laughing at ash and his friend ......but they been try go back to os ara stuff and problem is they has been done that long ago and doesn't fit in what ash and his friend story about now ........that is pretty why i choose you films didn't go that route because now in 2010s era not late 90.....
Can you actually typ?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It's only clumsy to those who have become cynical and tired. Comedy can only get you so far. And in the long run, it doesn't solve the underlying issues. Only cover it with a thin layer of paint that can be easily peeled.

Pokémon's best episodes are the episodes where it does takes itself seriously for the moments that matter the most.

Honestly, Satoshi is at his best when he's either a genuine inexperienced trainer (I Choose You works well because his inexperience is played for both laughs and drama) or when we see how he impacts others around him.
tbh, while I liked how XY showed his impact on others, the problem was that said impact was pretty much the same and instead of the result being showing the different perspectives characters have of ash, it became the different types of admiration characters have of ash

DatsRight

tbh, while I liked how XY showed his impact on others, the problem was that said impact was pretty much the same and instead of the result being showing the different perspectives characters have of ash, it became the different types of admiration characters have of ash

To compare, one of the AF arcs redeeming qualities was the genuine bonding moments Ash and Lillie were given, and how the closing points had him playing an integral part in Lillie's role while not making him the impetus of her development.

Hell Ash having a legitimate two-way chemistry with many of the SM companions is what holds up a lot of episodes in the series, while I think what harmed series like XY was that the twerps weren't very interesting interacting between themselves, usually needing a plot device or goal arc to be entertaining.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing! would like to have a word with you.
Well firstly I haven't seen that episode and have no idea what it's about and secondly... I don't get it. The thing is,"Dummy, You Shrunk the Kids!" works on at least three different levels, and it's a reference that actually translates to... any language that didn't drastically alter the title of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Where the hell was that horrendous title used?

Well firstly I haven't seen that episode and have no idea what it's about

AG187 - It's the episode where May comes to the realization of what her goal/life is going to be now that she's finally beaten Drew at the Indigo Plateau and feels a bit purposeless at the beginning of this episode. It's basically the episode that is the culmination of her entire four-year character arc. It's also the first episode ever in which Sinnoh is mentioned, and also Gary gets mentioned for the first time since GCYL. It's basically an extremely massively important episode in the overall course of the anime's history.

secondly... I don't get it.

It's a pun on The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is a book.

any language that didn't drastically alter the title of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!.

This is obviously a bit subjective but I don't care about any language except English in my decision to like a title or not, since that's the only language in which I watch the anime.

right after ash's final sinnoh gym match

this is totally false on multiple accounts

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
AG187 - It's the episode where May comes to the realization of what her goal/life is going to be now that she's finally beaten Drew at the Indigo Plateau and feels a bit purposeless at the beginning of this episode. It's basically the episode that is the culmination of her entire four-year character arc. It's also the first episode ever in which Sinnoh is mentioned, and also Gary gets mentioned for the first time since GCYL. It's basically an extremely massively important episode in the overall course of the anime's history.

It's a pun on The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is a book.

This is obviously a bit subjective but I don't care about any language except English in my decision to like a title or not, since that's the only language in which I watch the anime.

this is totally false on multiple accounts
sorry, got it confused with that one

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Meanwhile, as a Norwegian fan who grew up watching the Norwegian dub which was retranslated from the English and who has long since gone over to watching the show exclusively in Japanese, I do end up judging titles partially on how well they translate into other languages. Because as a kid I often got titles that made no sense because they were puns that didn't translate, and looking at the current Norwegian dub this still happens.

But yeah. Sun & Moon episode 83. I guess I ought to spoiler tag this since the episode isn't out yet in English and my reasoning gives away a bit more than what summaries so far might, so... feel free to not read it if you want to remain as unspoiled as possible, but...
Okay so first off, the episode does, in fact, feature kids being shrunk. So that part is obvious.
Secondly, the person causing the shrinking to happen is Faba, who has never been portrayed as being terribly competent, nor does he really command any respect from anyone. It's also an accident. So of course "Dummy" in the title is perfectly logical.
Thirdly, it manages to tie in a pop culture reference that is entirely relevant and not forced, which is something that they certainly don't always pull off ("They Might Not Be Giants!" immediately comes to mind. Just... Why would you call it that. The only possible connection I can see is that it features the starter trio, who are indeed not very big. But what on earth does the band They Might Be Giants have to do with anything?), and at the same time it is, as I said, fairly easy to translate, which is nice for every other country in the world that isn't America.

Now compare this to the Japanese title: "Satoshi Minimizes!" I mean, it's accurate... The comparison between his shrinking and the move Minimize is made in the episode... It's a perfectly functional title... But I can't deny that the English one is just a lot funnier.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Because as a kid I often got titles that made no sense because they were puns that didn't translate, and looking at the current Norwegian dub this still happens.
Im' sorry to hear that, I wish the localization process were better -- imo this sounds like an issue with the localization process into non-English-speaking countries, rather than an issue with the puns themselves.

Peter Harrison

I liked the Misty and Brock arcs. But I don't really like SM much, it isn't very enjoyable for me. I hope May gets a cameo soon, like Misty and Brock did.