• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel when the anime contradicts game mechanics?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Your stoneless mega evolutions, your aim for the horns, your Kyurem not needing to absorb the other trio members, your ignoring of the type chart.

How do you feel when the anime contradict or outright ignore the game mechanics?

tommytoe

I wouldn't mind if the anime obeyed its own rules. But type advantages, disadvantages, immunities and the all the rest only apply when they're convenient which is lazy and annoying IMO.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I wouldn't mind if the anime obeyed its own rules. But type advantages, disadvantages, immunities and the all the rest only apply when they're convenient which is lazy and annoying IMO.

Consistency has always annoyed me. Sometimes mega evolution can be triggered without the presence of two (in Rayquaza's case one) stone, sometimes it needs to have the stones; sometimes a psychic move will harm a dark type, sometimes it won't. The fact they can't keep their lore straight is just off-putting.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Game mechanics need a more realistic reinterpretation, that is Gameplay and Story Segregation, understandable reasonable and logical to do so.

But unable to keep consistent with the reinterpreted rules is just purely Mechanism Inconsistency, that is another complete different issue, because consistency is the most important key element to suspend audience's disbelief. Without it, doubt is arouse and audience shall waste time on questioning "What the hell......? How did they do it?" continuously rather than using the time to enjoy the show.

So how do I feel about this issue of anime contradicting game mechanics? If it has a better reinterpretation, I'm fine with it. But if they are unable to keep consistent with it, I then have a problem with it.

BTW, on another contrary, I would had prefer it better if the anime didn't bluntly mention nor show the gameplay mechanics at all during the run. Don't tell me electricity is super-effective against water, no effect against ground. Don't tell me Infernape's ability is Blaze, and it triggers when its HP run low. Don't tell me MegaBlastoise's attack are much more stronger thanks to its Mega Launcher ability. Don't show a poison icon effect on Charizard after it hit by Venoshock, and then with a healing light effect showing its status is healed by consuming a Pecha Berry. Don't show a red/blue glowing effect to signify a change in stats modifiers. Etc et cetera.

You can still have the mechanics presented, but just reword it in a better phrase such that it sounds more organic and realistic, rather than being digitally systematic and robotic mechanical. For example:
"What!? Pikachu's electric attack is not working!?" "Fool, Sandshrew's body surface is insulate to electricity, you are not even scratching my Sandshrew with such useless attack."
"Get up, Infernape! This is not the end yet. Show them your underlying power!" The injured Infernape stand up and roar loudly to the sky, unleashing a powerful fire attack much more stronger than expected despite its damage it had already received.
MegaBlastoise launch a super powerful Dragon Pulse attack. "It is surely very strong as expected. No... may be stronger than just the pure effort of Mega Evolution. Probably the cannon on its back helped in strengthen the attack as well."
Charizard hit by Venoshock, and its body is wobbling upon standing. "Charizard, are you OK?" Charizard nod, but its sickly expression couldn't hide the fact that it is poisoned. "No, you are not OK at all. Eat this, it shall relieve the poison you just received from previous attack."
Stats change? There isn't even things like parameter statistic, how to quantify stats change? No need of any glowing effects.

Please, anime world on TV-screen is not game world on game-console-screen. Take away all the systematical mechanics and inorganic portrayals.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
It's ok if the anime contradicts some game mechanics, but it needs to stay consistent. Half of the time Hyper Beam requires a recharge and half of the time there is no downside. I would prefer if it stayed consistent and made it require a recharge, since Hyper Beam is known for being a high risk, high reward move. Type matchups is also an issue, as often it is ignored. Since Pokemon types is an important part of Pokemon, it is something that should not be ignored and took seriously in the anime. It has improved in the recent years, but still needs refinement.

The anime obeying "logic" is also perfectly fine by me. Using Dig->Flare Blitz to get rid of Toxic Spikes does make sense in terms of anime physics. The "aim for horns" is questionable, but it's not terrible. As long as the anime attempts to explain unorthodox events that cannot happen in the games, I am fine with.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
personally I wish everything was exactly like the games but in the end i've been watching the anime and been loving it since it started. I just don't really consider the anime anything close to what a real world of pokemon would be or even close, I just consider it a little kids show since all the depth comes from the games anyways, and what little depth they put in it that isn't from the games, really is not deep. In fact I hope they end this and make a whole new series that actually follows the rules and what not. But thats just my opinion and I won't be disappointed either way.

CelebiAS

I wish the games were more like the anime e.g a dodge move so I don't care.
I actually like it that way.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Kyurem thing was probably a convenience sake. It's a movie, they wouldn't have time to elaborate on the connection between the other two Tao Pokemon without ruining the flow of the movie

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
The Kyurem thing was probably a convenience sake. It's a movie, they wouldn't have time to elaborate on the connection between the other two Tao Pokemon without ruining the flow of the movie

I believe it was because they had to start work on the movie so long before B2W2 was finished that "how it works in the game" hadn't actually been fully conceptualized yet.

I think Yuyama mentioned in an interview that the Reverse World in the Shaymin movie is based on what little information they had been given about the Distortion World at the time, and that they ended up using a different name for it in the movie after it became clear what they had come up with and what actually appeared in Platinum had extremely little in common.

It's what happens when you need to start work on a tie-in product before the "original" product is anywhere near done.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I'm usually fine with it when the anime deliberately takes a break from game mechanics, like when Pikachu broke Brock's Onix because its electricity was supercharged. But I'm more annoyed when they just seem to completely ignore or don't know the rules. I mean any decent player with serebii or bulbapedia could fact check their scripts for things like pokemon getting hit by stuff they should be immune to. But we still see stupid stuff all the time.

And I do wish that they brought in more things like status afflictions or just generally more moves that did something other than damage (even supersonic is treated as a damaging move most of the time). Even if they got stuff wrong half the time it would be worth a try.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
I'm okay with any contradiction except for type immunities, although some consistency in move effects would be nicer.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Well, considering they're 2 very different mediums that that have their own specific way of doing things, it's not that bad.

One thing that spings to mind is how battles are turn-based in the games, which ONLY works in a video game, and even then that's used as much as it used to be. In fact...how many games still DO that outside of Pokémon :confused:

Likewise, levels and health bars don't translate well to animation either (right, Origins?). Not to mention how the TV Show is able to use a Pokémon physical attributes or the environment in ways the games certainly aren't able to.

Look at Special/Adventures: they stick to the game's mechanics and are worse off for it part of the time.

So I'm usually cool with it...though it does get annoying how Pokémon tend to evolve/learn a new move just in the nick of time...

Swordsman4

It depends on what mechanic was thrown out, while the aim for the horn stuff is retarded things like ignoring type charts to a certain degree is understandable in certain instances. A fire attack may actually evaporate water. Also levels among other things only make sense in games, not in real life.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
It depends on what mechanic was thrown out, while the aim for the horn stuff is retarded things like ignoring type charts to a certain degree is understandable in certain instances. A fire attack may actually evaporate water. Also levels among other things only make sense in games, not in real life.

I don't think fire can instantly evaporate water under the conditions presented in pokemon (ie. high pressure+high volume) but I could easily be wrong. I guess it also depends on how much heat energy output is in the fire attack i guess. I could be wrong it's been a while.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I feel like I have to turn a blind eye to most violations. The biggest violations are ones that defy physics, not game logic. You're always going to have to give a bit of leeway in regards to game mechanics, since by themselves...they're not interesting.

I wish that they would utilize type advantage more as well as stat changes better though. Like Ash vs Sawyer, King's Shield drops Pikachu's attack, but Sceptile still works at full strength after using Leaf Storm.

Sprinter1988

What he said. Consistency really hasn't been the anime's strong suit over the years. If it wants to go by its own rules that's fine so long as they stick to them.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The inconsistencies with type effectiveness in the anime compared to the game mechanics can be annoying at times since there's little rhyme or reason for the discrepancy in the show sometimes. I also dislike it when type immunities from the games get ignored on the show, like Shadow Ball hitting Normal types for instance. ^^;

wobbanut

Team Awesome
It all depends. Type weaknesses causing damage will annoy me more than anything else, especially when it happens against Team Rocket pokemon. Then there's the famous Skitty vs. Dusknoir battle. Why can't they at least make skitty have the scrappy ability, it will make so much more sense?!?

AlolaMochaCiel

Same way I feel when anime do non manga arcs. Does not bother me. I mean the anime is an adaption of the games so it does just that. Adapts them but doesn't mean it has to be the games in anime form. I like how the anime/manga and games are the same series but each feel different. I would not mind certain anime stuff being in the games like dodging and using the terrain