• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you feel when the anime contradicts game mechanics?

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I think it really depends on the situation. I don't really have a problem with Zekrom frying a newborn Geodude with an Electric-type attack simply due to the massive power difference since Zekrom is a Super Legendary. If Zekrom could do the same to Groudon, though, I'd have trouble with that. I also wouldn't have a problem if certain techniques such as Stone Edge, could be used as a counter-shield like technique, even though it couldn't be used as such in the games. In essence, if the real world, real time battle would be different from the game mechanics or the power difference is massive, like worlds apart, then I don't really have a problem with that. On the other hand, if Pikachu Thunderbolted an Elite Four member's Rhyperior for a win; that I would have a problem with.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It somewhat depends for me, but I usually don't really mind if it happens anymore since the Original Series.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I don't mind it. In fact, I'd like the games to be more like the anime. :)

doofinc

get rillaboomed
I don't mind as long as the inconsistency can be somewhat explained.

Frenzy Plant being spammable? He can just recover really quickly.

Water-Type Frog loses to a Fire Type Move? The Pokemon using the Fire-Type move is just significantly stronger.

A stat-dropping move being missable? That Pokemon is just still very strong after the drop.

A non-missable move in-game missing? Practically everything is dodgeable. (KAWASE)

Type Immunities? Normal/Fighting vs Ghost can be somewhat explained by not phasing quickly enough. Ground vs. Flying can be explained by the flying type still being on the ground (or just throwing a bone at them). Psychic vs. Dark is somewhat debatable depending on how it's explained. Same with Dragon vs. Fairy and Electric vs. Ground. I think that the latter 3 should stay consistent for consistency's sake while the other 2 can be explained based on circumstances. I don't know the physics behind Poison vs. Steel so no comment on that.

As long as it is explainable, it should be okay, but if it isn't obvious why it is explainable, then it should be explained.

Last edited:

yaboiwill

I'm not bothered by it anymore. The anime and the games have their own sets of rules. Honestly trying to compare is like comparing apples and oranges.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Not gonna lie, it bothers me quite a bit. Especially when it comes to type matchups. Way too often I've seen types that are supposed to be immune to a type be immune one minute and then get hit the next. If they want to do some unique stuff (Like the Counter Shield for instance), that's fine, but they should at least follow things from the games.

SinnohEevee

I prefer if they stick closer to the game mechanics especially when it comes to the type chart. But the Flying immunity to Ground doesn't always make sense in the games. A bird can evade Earthquake by flying, but I don't see why it won't get damaged when a bone is thrown at it.

Also, I think blocking are overused. I think speed should be a factor in whether it succeeds or not. It makes sense because by the time the slow Pokémon moves to block, the attack should have already hit.

Marianna

Usually battles are, (use move), dodge!, (even super slow Pokemon can just barely dodge an attack), (use move), or (aim for the legs), and while I understand the creative tactics make it appealing, the fact that swift and magical leaf can miss just ugh.

I also hate the type and damage inconsistency! Somehow a fire or water Pokemon can survive all that water or grass type damage and then knock the opponent out with like one move. May vs Drew Kanto GF made me wonder, just how much damage can Combusken take? Yet in their rematch, grass type moves actually seem to harm and slow down Combusken.

matt0044

I also hate the type and damage inconsistency! Somehow a fire or water Pokemon can survive all that water or grass type damage and then knock the opponent out with like one move. May vs Drew Kanto GF made me wonder, just how much damage can Combusken take? Yet in their rematch, grass type moves actually seem to harm and slow down Combusken.

Yeah, I get having a type disadvantage to show the other side figuring out clever tactics to defeat their foes since everyone loves an underdog but that's only if they show that rather than rushing like mad.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've never liked it when the moves that are supposed to be not very effective/outright useless actually take out Pokemon they're used against, such as Grovyle defeating Altaria with Leaf Blade. Thunder Armor also didn't make any sense. However, I enjoy watching Ash make use of the terrain/altering it, such as during his rematch battle against Whitney.

SinnohEevee

It's hard to take the anime seriously when they butcher the type chart. Thunder Armor? Come on! That was stupid!

Krokketto Prime Danjal

Done with worldly lies
That was 10 years ago or so. Get over it. That's never happening ever again.

And so it shouldn't. Worst Gym battle ever!

I too have been annoyed by the likes of shadow ball being able to hurt Normal types and the non portrayal of other immunities. I'm ok with say a Pokémon using vine whip repeatedly on a Fire type and knocking it out eventually but not taking it down in one hit if it has taken little or no damage prior to this. The recharge time after using Hyper Beam/ Giga Impact I feel ought to be followed in the anime and attacks that can't be evaded (swift etc) should always hit unless the attacked Pokémon can find an ingenious way of avoiding it. I never understood why it took so long for them to implement the burn mechanic into the battles.

Other than the above I don't mind the anime making use of the freedom that the games don't have with their rule restrictions. Just be consistent. Don't pick and choose when Pikachu takes recoil damage from Volt Tackle and the like. Cutting down the amount of dodging in battles would be nice.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
I don't care.

The games are limited in their presentation for convenience. The anime is a real world application. I would rather not have the Pokemon stand still taking shots. The unique quirks of X-Scissor breaking Trick Room or using fire to remove Toxic Spikes would not have happened if the anime stubbornly stuck to the games' way of battling.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The answer is simple. I do not care unless it is unnecessary or is actually detrimental to the battles.

While I prefer the anime to follow the game rules as close as they can, I will except logical breaks from game mechanics given that the games aren't so perfect with logic. Like Doduo being unaffected by Boomerang because it's part Flying-Type despite touching the ground. That has no logic other than balance. As such, I will accept Hawlucha getting Bone Rushed by Lucario. Same things with TMs and HMs. It is more natural for a trainer to train their Pokémon to practice new moves than teach them on a floppy disk.

What I won't like is when it becomes inconsistent with the anime rule itself (flip flopping), or simply breaking suspension of disbelief by deus ex machina. Pikachu hurting Onix by being juiced up and accidentally activating the sprinklers? Logical and acceptable. Pikachu using Ryhorn's horn as a lighting rod to hurt Rhydon? That requires a bigger explanation of how that works.

My answer is that it depends on how they contradict the game.

The way I tend to contradict the games in my own fanfiction is make much more usage of the environment around the battle, allowing for certain moves to last beyond the turn they originally took place (for example, an Earthquake causing the ground to vibrate for a decent amount of the battle rather then only for a moment), act differently to how they are programmed in-game if the scenario calls for it (for example, a Metal Claw being used to parry a Steel Wing instead of attacking the opponent), and overall have more creativity with the way the battle plays out so that they remain interesting. This sort of contradiction seems alright to me - it's how a Pokemon battle could play out in real life when moves aren't restricted to a single function, Pokemon can use two moves in one turn if the opponent is slow enough and the Pokemon can utilise the environment around them to their advantage.

The way I don't like to contradict the games can be summarised with a blatant example - Thunder Armour. The sort of contradiction shown in the Ash vs Tate and Liza battle blatantly goes against another rule the anime has already established - weaknesses against particular types. If the anime were to not contradict themselves in this scene, that bird would've been freaking obliterated. Times when what happens in the anime doesn't even make sense in real life are the times when I despise the contradiction.

Basically, if what happens in the anime could happen in real life if Pokemon were to exist, then I'm cool with it. If it defies every single law of physics possible even with the concept of Pokemon existing in the real world, then I'm not cool with it.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
There are some game mechanics I really do think the show can dispense with, the top two being the four move limit and Legendaries' inability to breed.

There are some game mechanics I really do think the show can dispense with, the top two being the four move limit and Legendaries' inability to breed.

I respect your opinion, but personally I'm fine with those two rules. The four move limit can be taken as a simple Pokemon league rule - only use four moves per battle - and it doesn't really make sense for legendaries to breed when, with the exception of Lugia, there is only one of each. And yes, Ditto is a thing, but I also don't think that the legendaries would naturally evolve to breed over time, since most of them were created to serve purpose.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
My answer is that it depends on how they contradict the game.

The way I tend to contradict the games in my own fanfiction is make much more usage of the environment around the battle, allowing for certain moves to last beyond the turn they originally took place (for example, an Earthquake causing the ground to vibrate for a decent amount of the battle rather then only for a moment), act differently to how they are programmed in-game if the scenario calls for it (for example, a Metal Claw being used to parry a Steel Wing instead of attacking the opponent), and overall have more creativity with the way the battle plays out so that they remain interesting. This sort of contradiction seems alright to me - it's how a Pokemon battle could play out in real life when moves aren't restricted to a single function, Pokemon can use two moves in one turn if the opponent is slow enough and the Pokemon can utilise the environment around them to their advantage.

The way I don't like to contradict the games can be summarised with a blatant example - Thunder Armour. The sort of contradiction shown in the Ash vs Tate and Liza battle blatantly goes against another rule the anime has already established - weaknesses against particular types. If the anime were to not contradict themselves in this scene, that bird would've been freaking obliterated. Times when what happens in the anime doesn't even make sense in real life are the times when I despise the contradiction.

Basically, if what happens in the anime could happen in real life if Pokemon were to exist, then I'm cool with it. If it defies every single law of physics possible even with the concept of Pokemon existing in the real world, then I'm not cool with it.

This. I wholeheartedly agree 10000%.

Swagga09

I respect your opinion, but personally I'm fine with those two rules. The four move limit can be taken as a simple Pokemon league rule - only use four moves per battle - and it doesn't really make sense for legendaries to breed when, with the exception of Lugia, there is only one of each. And yes, Ditto is a thing, but I also don't think that the legendaries would naturally evolve to breed over time, since most of them were created to serve purpose.

Pretty sure the same legendaries we keep seeing
Over and over in the show arent the exact same legendaries