• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you keep track of your Pokémon collection?

Ash1115

How do you keep track of your Pokémon collection?

What does everyone use to keep track of their collections throughout the various games?

I'm not referring specifically to the in game Pokedex but rather something to keep track of what Pokémon you've obtained i.e. by region,event,shiny etc..

I used to use an extensive spreadsheet I had created but I lost it all when my computer crashed and since I need to start over I was hoping to see if there was any easier or perhaps better ways of doing it that are less time consuming.

Scrufox86

Well i don't really have a system to keep track. I make sure i have all my games somewhere safe. And in regards to shinies i at the moment have left them on the games i obtained them in. I know that some people like to move them forward to the most recent games (from gen III onwards) so that they have all thier shinies in the same game. For me i cannot do that as i have so many thanks to the pokeradar that it'll be impossible to store them on one game cart.

I don't really mind where i got the pokemon so don't bother with exact location etc. I know some people do but i have no clue what they do to keep track. Maybe they keep a dairy sort of thing for that?

I hope i helped in any way.

Golden_Charmander

Dragon Master
I keep mine all on one cartridge. When a new game comes out I immediately transfer them over. I then arrange them into boxes according to type, keeping all legendaries, and pokemon for competetive play, in seperate boxes. If I start a new game on an old cart, then after completing the main storyline I move the pokemon caught during that game over to my main cart if I particularly care about them.

SilverFox

So sly
I keep mine all on one cartridge. When a new game comes out I immediately transfer them over. I then arrange them into boxes according to type, keeping all legendaries, and pokemon for competetive play, in seperate boxes. If I start a new game on an old cart, then after completing the main storyline I move the pokemon caught during that game over to my main cart if I particularly care about them.

Ditto...except for the competetive play, I don't do that.

absolalone111

It's quite hard to keep track of everything, but if I'm in doubt, I just play the game and check. Ideally I would transfer all of my pokemon up to the next game each time I new one came out, but honestly, I don't have the patience. Also, as far as I'm aware, there's no way to get stuff from G/S/C onto any GBA cart, I vaguely remember something about using Colosseum, but I can't be bothered.

hayatex

I have boxs labeled 1-30, 31-60, 61-90 ect and I have all my pokemon in pokemon white. I have 2 boxs that house my old teams/pokemon i use online.
I have pokemon black that has all my shines, Unowns and other pokes that could not fit in white.
I really hope for a lot more box space in X and Y.

Nightblind249

I haven't really pay attention to were I've stored my pokes or thought about it before, but for most of gen 4(i think) you could use the PokeRanch for the wii to store them. I agree with the fellow above me, x and y should have more storage space or maybe a PokeBank for the WiiU\Wii that can handle all the gens and you can mix and match games with it, hope the ranch idea helps

zozo

SLIMED!
I just... don't. As I play each game, I set aside certain boxes for any "special" Pokemon I may have. You know, ones that I used for in-game play, trained up competitively, got in events, etc. If I really need to find one again for some reason, I just take a peek through my cartridges until I find what I'm looking for. I've got a good memory, so I can just remember where most of my most used ones are at any given time. I've never felt the need to try and organize everything so I can find it quickly. Maybe I would if I did a bunch of trading.

Though I will admit, it would be nice to have extra space to store Pokemon. That way I wouldn't run into storage issues on the carts where I do the most breeding. x_x

Shaylup

debeo capere omnes
I used to sort them by type, but now usually just mix them all in. And leave the cartridges lying about, I'm very untidy...

I keep them organized by their national number and the boxes are organized by type. Starting with Water, since it's my favorite type, then it's Bug - Steel alphabetically. With the leftover boxes, I have things like "Breed", "Trade" and "Train". With the cartridge, I keep them in this multi cartridge holder I brought from Gamestop. Don't want to lose any games. :p

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
I keep mine by numbers. 1-30 and so on. And then like the Unown and multi-fourms. Like Rotom, Dexyos, Kyruem and Keldeo. and any others. I just make a box for them by themselves. Then My Shiny pokemon. I just keep them in order. Because I have many shiny pokemon I dont keep nonshiny. They all just go in order c:

I keep track terribly. I need more boxes, thats my main issue, hopefully the new games have a lot more. I sort them by Type and within that their Pokedex #. I then store Competitively trained, Dream World, Shiny and most importantly to me Legendary and Event Pokemon separately. Not enough rooooom T_T

TheEliteEmpoleon

I try to organize them by type, but I'm not great at being organized. I'm planning on getting a living pokédex soon, though. That will be how I organize them.

Cheez Puf

Just lurking.
I transfer most of my important pokes to my most up-to-date game, when I have the opportunity. I arrange them by levels; it makes it easier to find them for me.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
It's quite simple really, I don't unless it's one of the Pokemon that I'm particularly fond of. Otherwise, I just keep them in my PC, plain and simple.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Well, at present, I'm busy trying to make a Living Pokédex, so I'm busy with a pen and paper, making a checklist of what I do and dont have. Eventually, the idea is to fill up most of the available boxes, and then leave a box or three for my battlers, one for trade fodder, and two for my sister's Pal Parked and Transferred mons.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Well, at present, I'm busy trying to make a Living Pokédex, so I'm busy with a pen and paper, making a checklist of what I do and dont have. Eventually, the idea is to fill up most of the available boxes, and then leave a box or three for my battlers, one for trade fodder, and two for my sister's Pal Parked and Transferred mons.

I did the same thing when I was trying to complete the Unova dex in White 2. I wouldn't let that clipboard go for anything. It's also the first time I complete a regional dex since I've been playing pokemon.

Aside from that, I have boxes for bred, shiny, trades and transfers. Plus my White 2 adds boxes for DW females, DW males, Hidden Grotto and Dream Radar pokemon.

Ash1115

Lots of great responses, it's given me a lot to think about. I'll agree that the in game storage options are severely lacking and leaves a lot to be desired.

I think it would be cool and so much easier if there were an actual pokedex accessory or app for 3ds that would allow you to manage everything instead of just being for reference but that's probably wishful thinking for a 15 year old series.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
O man...I just got done orginizing all mine in number order on my black and white games, lol, that wasn't easy...but yeah, I trasfer them (as best I can) from carterage to cartage (with the exception of spiky-eared pichu which I can't trasfer to B/W :( but of course everyone knows that >> poor minnie :( ) but anyway...yeah, carterage to cartage best I can

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
I hoped to store all Pokemon in boxes according to their Dex numbers, with a separate box for duplicate Legendaries/Shinies/Competetive, etc. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with 1 DS for now, so all my Gen 5 Pokemon are on Black, and all my Gen 4 and earlier are on Diamond.

Maybe one day...