• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you make the games feel harder?

Mega-Absol

Elite Four No. 3
Catch five new Pokemon in every new area and don't level them to the stage of your previous Pokemon. My starter is my safety net... I HATE blacking out...

I don't really put much effort into making them harder per say, but for X I have banned all legendaries from my team as well as allowing only one Pokemon capable of mega evolving. Other than that I just use the Pokemon that I like and that is usually enough of a struggle in itself lol.

Good on you for doing that, it's always much more fun playing with someone who uses their favourites. c:

I just don't heal during battle against other trainers, it seems fair since most AI don't use Potions. The settings are always on set and I prefer putting a Pokemon of mine up against something that it's weak against if I really want a challenge. : D

Tyrantrum

Well to make my X and Y playthrough harder, I will try not to go with the obvious typesets for my in-game team. Rather I will choose a pokemon that's often seen as 'secondary' due to it coming later. (An example would be bypassing Mareep and going for Magnemite way back in G/S/C)

Kamran11

I would not grind at all but that still seems to make my y pretty easy since they changed the way exp share is used

Swagmander

I'm looking to do a challenge run once my Pokemon Y comes in the mail, as I've heard that the game itself was pretty easy. I'm going to play the game on "Set" battle style for sure.
Anyone have any suggestions about how else I should make the game harder?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm looking to do a challenge run once my Pokemon Y comes in the mail, as I've heard that the game itself was pretty easy. I'm going to play the game on "Set" battle style for sure.
Anyone have any suggestions about how else I should make the game harder?
Go without the EXP share (ie turn it off) in this game as that's a large reason why it is easier. Avoid catching everything you see too as you get exp for catching stuff --> boosts levels that way. If you don't want to use the Amie too which can make battles easier too that's another thing... but that involves not using the Amie. =p (Ie cute interaction feature with your Pokemon).

Rakansen

ラルフ
• I use the "Set" option instead of "Shift."
• I limited my use of the Exp. Share in Pokémon X and Y.
• I try my best to use a monotype team, in Black 2 for instance I used a Steel one. I didn't have one for X since I didn't know what kind of Pokémon to expect, so I didn't know if there were at least six Pokémon of one type.
• I don't use my starter, though this isn't necessarily a downgrade.

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
Use an approximate level cap: before going into any gym, none of my Pokemon can be higher in level than the gym leader's strongest.
You can use repels, but I never flee from wild battles (because these colors don't run!)
I only use a potion in battles where the opponent uses a potion, and only as many times as they do. (Gym Leaders and E4 use two each in their battles.)
Only use Pokeballs and Luxury Balls
Use Set instead of Shift
Don't use EXP Share or Super Training
Only use Amie in order to get Sylveon or evolve Pokemon that require happiness.

-Set>Shift,
-I like not using the starter sometimes and using Pokemon with lower stats that I like (example Butterfree)

Have only 1 Pokemon in your team.

49ersgiantsfan

Achievements Junkie
On an X/Y Nuzlocke, you could tack on all of those restrictions:
-No items ever, including TMs and hold items
-No legendaries
-No visits to the Poké center
-No breeding
-No level advantage
-No EXP Share, Amie, or Super Training
-Battle Style: Set
-No failing to catch
-No deaths
-No evolving
-No learning new moves at all
-Only 1 Pokéball per store, and you must only buy one regular Pokéball
-No mega evolutions except for the Tower of Mastery Korrina battle
I'm crazy just thinking of this.

Au Au

A lil bit ditzy
Use underused Pokemon.
In my current X run, I deposited my starters and caught Pokemon like Plusle, Furfrou, Vivillon, etc. You'd be surprised how useful they can be, although they wouldn't be sweeping or killing things in one hit, but still, they actually are pretty usable. Plusle shocked me the most (pun intended); the little thing hits fast and does decent damage.

AND ABSOLUTELY DON'T TURN ON THE EXP SHARE (if playing X/Y)

Last edited:
I wish pokemon had a second playthrough available after beating it once where the NPCs were smarter and used actual strategies.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
Nuzlocke. Just... Nuzlocke.

Either that, or a Scramble/Monotype challenge or the like. I've also noticed that it helps if I go through the Gyms like in the anime, i.e, only allowing myself to use the same amount of Pokémon the leader uses. And of course, just preventing yourself from switching helps a bit.