• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do YOU play the games?

Swagmander

Pokemon, while straightforward at the surface and everyone knows the different mechanics, the games themselves are full of personal customizability. For example, my thing is to travel around with four different Pickup Pokemon at once so that I can save up tons of Rare Candies.

In other examples, players may try to catch them all, while other players may only choose to catch the ones they like.
Some may start the game over after beating it, others keep the same save file forever.
Some oraganize the Pokemon in their boxes by number or type, while others just let the Pokemon pile up in there.
You may choose to follow a Nuzlocke challenge, or choose not to restrict yourself.
A player may choose to battle competitively, or just try to collect Pokemon.
And those who do battle competitively have choices of different methods to get strong Pokemon.

All of these players make up important pieces of the Pokemon fanbase, so the question is this: How do you play the Pokemon games? How do you make them your very own?

I catch Pokémon I need/like. I don't ever plan on collecting them. I now train evenly, even if it takes weeks to even out my team. I also stop to collect items when possible. I don't skip Trainers unless I'm in a hurry or am simply too lazy to fight ATM. I no longer organize my boxes since I don't collect anymore. I don't battle competitively in game and don't restart files (SS is an exception, I restarted 4 times).

The Arceus Delusion

In Arceus We Trust
I used to be someone who restarted his file frequently. However, since early 2010 I started a collection in Pearl (now Black) that I'm fairly certain that I want to keep from now on. Ever since then I've kept my PC orderly (all Pokemon kept in numerical order)

Anyways, I play through the game at a fairly slow pace. My first playthrough of White took well over 100 hours. I like catching everything on every route before moving on. I like using underrated Pokemon, and I rarely ever use the starter. I never miss out on a potential trainer battle. I only use Poke balls (in case of legendaries or shinies I use premier balls). I'm strict about keeping all my team members as evenly leveled as possible. Don't care about natures or anything like that. I'm not a competitive player by any means.

Last edited:
I always restart my games, I always regret it though.. I'm bored at the time and reset and then dont feel like finishing it and end up not having my awesome level 70's and stuff anymore..

.... i need roms.

zerofield

i miss miror
i play nuzlockes constantly, thats pretty much it. i used to go through the game and make a balanced team, beat the e4, etc, but now i find its more fun if its harder.

DrasticPhase

Half ded
I collect pokemon for compepetive use
And always get Heart Scales
And oraginze my box by
-Ingame pokemons/others
-Breeding uses
-Legendaries
-Dittos
-Competive
-Shinies

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
I play without restrictions(i didn't even know such things existed until recently), i never restart my primary game, and i never aim to complete the pokedex. I'm more of a battler than a collector.

In the previous games, me and my friend had a joke that i was more of a compulsive gambler than a berry harvester(him). These were mainly excuses to justify our ungodly playtimes :D

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I kinda feel that the title should be rephrased "Do you do challenges on your playthroughs," or something along the lines.

To answer the question, no I haven't, but occasionally I like to make my playthrough focused on using one or two specific and harder-to-obtain mons.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
I play with challenges. I don't fight strong trainers with lower leveled Pokes on purpose, that would be cheating myself of a challenge. But I like struggling against opponents, just so that the game is not 'Battle, win, get item...' the whole way through.

And also do some rare Pokemon hunting when I'm bored. Start new game and such.

draya the dark master

Sort of Undead atm♥
i usally get multiple games so i use one for colecting and another for resetting and trying new pokemon within the gameplay.
I find it a good way to always find the games interesting :D

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Usually before playing, I plan a strategy on doing things. I usually go with the flow on my games, catching really strong Pokemon and trying to fill up my Pokedex when I can. I usually train one or few Pokemon at the start and begin to train more Pokes later on in the game.

I restart them though with a new plan and all when I get tired of my file or I feel lazy to continue my current file.

Metal Bagon

Play the Guitar Rift
I just mash through the game, using basically only attacking moves 'cause NPC's are stupid. Then I get a pokemon and go around catching what I want to use on wifi.

ROFLMAO

I play through the games multiple times using different pokemon each time to get an idea of who I do and don't like. Then go through with a team that I do like and raise them to Lv. 100, then don't play the game for ages until I get the urge to play it again (usually deleting the file with the Lv. 100's on it and starting again too).

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
I go hunting for Shinies, well, with varying degrees of success - Now, thanks to the Masuda Method in Black/White, I'll hopefully get myself a Foreign Pokemon and breed for higher chances of Shinies ;188;.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I always use my starter, and if possible I carry around at least one pick-up Pokemon. Then I carry around strong Pokemon like Hydreigon.

Larry

I usually plan my team before I start my game and I keep my save file forever until I get the other game of that generation. In 5th gen I'm trying to complete the Pokedex and I train Pokemon for the Battle Subway.

Bulletproof

Self explanatory.
I try to catch every Pokemon I see, to get a chance to use them all. I train them to at least level 60, & decide what I do from there. I also spend my days trying to collect every single possible Item I can before challenging things like the frontier & friends. I drag around a flyer & water Pokemon/HM slave at all times. Sometimes I'll restart my file, but I make sure to give away/preserve all Pokemon that I value.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
No challenge, catch 'em all, not effort to organize PC, no planning, and never restart (or at least not any time soon).

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
- I Play on Set, not Shift.
- Party members are carefully chosen before starting the game, and the starter is never abandoned.
- Party members are raised equally and are put on front in rotation by order of capture.
- No capturing pokemon except for party members, HM slaves, legenderies and shinies.
- No avoiding trainers.
- No playing in the super contests, for they are gay.
- No switching pokemon until the foe has fainted.