• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Do You Playthrough Pokémon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮

Self explanatory here. On your playthrough of a Pokémon Game(Before the E4) What do you do? Are there any Pokémon that are always with you?

*The other Option includes Nuzlockes, Mono type runs, Scramble challenges, etc. If you dont know what an in-game tier list is, I suggest you find out before the next Pokémon game comes out.

I usually Playthrough many times, find the best pokemon to complete the region, & catch everything in the regional dex.

Last edited:

Neekerisanni123

Kanbei <3 _ <3
I just try to run through the story as fast as I can. I don't know why, but it's just a habit of mine. o_O

I've also done a few monotypes and just generally silly playthroughs, my insane Pearl runthrough being the best example: beating the game with a full team of shiny ubers, of course hacked. I really don't know why I did that... probably just because it sounded like fun. And of course that time when I messed around with the walk through walls-code; beating the game without ever getting a Pokedex. xD

725roy

ambivolent
Well, I tend to make my team before I start so I know what I'm catching.
Then I train like crazy, a become super overleveled, only to think that I'll be fine not training, only to get screwed by the next gym leader.

Yup that's how it is :p

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
Half the time I catch some of the first Pokemon I see to build my team, then switch some of them out for better ones along the way. The other half I fully plan out my team.

Every route I enter I explore to the fullest of my abilities at that time then comeback if it needs surf, rock smash, or other HM's. I just can't leave a route without fighting all the trainers and finding all the items, I even click A in corners to find hidden ones. Once in a while I'll catch majority in each route, if I don't already have them.

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
I also noticed there are some pokemon I use on run throughs so often, I have evolution Guidelines.
I must have a tottera before hearthome city, I must have Garchomp before I finish the Galactic Warehouse, Ii must have luxray before my battle with fantina(in D/P), and I must have Staraptor Before Celestic town. My starter must be 5 levels above my other pokes, and my other pokes must all be the same level(in SS I had 2 DS & 3 pokemon games so I traded with myself to get all the johto starters).

Skydra

I make a team of whatever I want with plenty of types. Sometimes I plan it and make changes during the game if necessary, or sometimes I simply scrap the plan altogether. I always make a team plan (or multiple for different playthroughs) before a release though. I've even already started doing so for the RS remakes, which are years away.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
I playthrough the story, beat the Elite Four, then complete the National Pokedex, then Pokecontest/Athlon/Musical. Finally, I do all cooperative play(in this case, Entralink). After thaat, I build a team of favs. I'm doing that now, actually. Alright, Glaceon has to get on my team....

Aegon

While playing through the main-game, I explore everywhere and use a non-EV trained team of favourites . After-game, I EV train some Pokémon but still use favourites. I like to complete the Pokédex, too.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I go around and catch as many Pokemon I come across. My team changes up a lot during my playthroughs depending on what gym I'm headed to next.

I like beating all the trainers on a route and finding all the items. I like clearing the place before I move on to the next level.

I'm going to try a mono-run on my Diamond game sometime...don't know when but...

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
depends. I usually have one game where I finish the pokedex, catch and find everything, and do my breeding etc. the others I use to "farm" for starters, items, legendaries, etc.

either way I usually use about 4 or 5 pokemon seriously on my team with an HM slave or 2. using 6 pokemon or more requires way too much grinding and you can often get enough coverage for the gyms at 4.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I take my starter and catch what I want along the way. Then I rotate Pokemon in and out when I go between different cities and gyms. But I keep my starter, and by the end I've got my main 6 decided upon :3

With that I also try to explore the entire area, talk to people, pick up items.

Lastly, I only teach HM's to Pokemon who can actually put them to use in battle :s

Panbobo

MASUTA BOORU
The day before buying it i take a look at the Dex online and, just by their appearance and type, i choose my starter and the other 2 pokes who will be my party by the rest of the game. The only time i didn't do this, was a Internet-free run in my first playthrough in Pearl =P. It was very difficult >_<

I catch whoever I like making sure the nature is acceptable towards what role they will play. I explore the areas thoroughly, I keep my team very evenly leveled. I prefer to be under leveled facing gym leaders and the elite four. I don't enjoy killing tedious amount of things for the few extra levels. Something on my team must carry leech seed, I absolutely love that move. No legendary pokemon allowed for in game play to progress in story. When facing elite four or a gym leader I turn the battle style to set rather then have constant switch advantage. I usual have 1 HM slave for moves I don't want to teach my main team members. If I get bored of a poke on my team I get rid of it for something else keeping my team interesting to myself.