• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you pronounce Arceus?

How do you say Arceus?

• Ar-cee-us

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Ar-kee-us

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
There's somewhat of a controversy surrounding how Arceus's name is pronounced in the Pokémon fandom. Is it pronounced "Ar-cee-us" or "Ar-kee-us"? Apparently, the latter is the "official" pronunciation, since when the movie starring Arceus was coming out, the anime dubbers thought the former would cause some problems for British audiences, because it sounds rather like a certain term for the rear. (Now we have Galar, I wonder how Galarians would react if they heard someone say it as “Ar-cee-us”. :p)

Although I'm a Galarian myself, I find it easier to say "Ar-cee-us" than "Ar-kee-us", because the other pronunciation just feels awkward to say. Do you prefer the former or the latter way of saying it?

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have no idea and neither does the Pokémon Company. They’ve officially pronounced at least three different ways. Maybe two in its movie, another I believe in the Hoopa movie, and the Pokédex 3D Pro for the 3DS pronounced it another way. But then again that app pronounced a lot of Pokémon incorrectly and sometimes even added phonetic sounds in the name that didn’t belong or spell out the same way. It called Unown “Unknown” and added another N.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Ar-kay-us

It sounds like arcane, and the pronunciation is hinted at by Silvally's ability.

It does make some sense since Type: Null and Silvally were sort of created in Arceus's image.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I say Ark-e-us rather than Arse-eus, so Ar-kee-us?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I use R-K-S like Silvally’s ability implies (does the ability even have a meaning or is it just an acronym made solely to drive home the connection between Silvally & Arceus?).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ar-key-us

NeedsAName

Guys, weird idea: its name is pronounced differently depending on the region. While most regions pronounce it as Ahr-see-iss, its pronounced like Ahr-kee-iss in regions where the first pronounciation would be a bit awkward (like Galar), and Alola pronounces it weirdly like Ahr-kae-iss because they're just like that.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Guys, weird idea: its name is pronounced differently depending on the region. While most regions pronounce it as Ahr-see-iss, its pronounced like Ahr-kee-iss in regions where the first pronounciation would be a bit awkward (like Galar), and Alola pronounces it weirdly like Ahr-kae-iss because they're just like that.

Alola’s pronunciation is supposed to evoke Silvally’s RKS System, since it’s supposed to be like Arceus in its ability to change types.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I pronounce it Ar-Cee-Us and I didn't even know that it could be pronounced other ways because my way of saying the name seemed like the easiest pronunciation.

"Ar-cee-us" just sounds like the most natural pronunciation to me. It rolls off the tongue a little easier than "Ar-kee-us" or "Ar-kay-us".