1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How do you pronounce Arceus?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by NovaBrunswick, Jan 31, 2020.

?

How do you say Arceus?

1. Ar-cee-us

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Ar-kee-us

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

There's somewhat of a controversy surrounding how Arceus's name is pronounced in the Pokémon fandom. Is it pronounced "Ar-cee-us" or "Ar-kee-us"? Apparently, the latter is the "official" pronunciation, since when the movie starring Arceus was coming out, the anime dubbers thought the former would cause some problems for British audiences, because it sounds rather like a certain term for the rear. (Now we have Galar, I wonder how Galarians would react if they heard someone say it as “Ar-cee-us”. :p)

Although I'm a Galarian myself, I find it easier to say "Ar-cee-us" than "Ar-kee-us", because the other pronunciation just feels awkward to say. Do you prefer the former or the latter way of saying it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I have no idea and neither does the Pokémon Company. They’ve officially pronounced at least three different ways. Maybe two in its movie, another I believe in the Hoopa movie, and the Pokédex 3D Pro for the 3DS pronounced it another way. But then again that app pronounced a lot of Pokémon incorrectly and sometimes even added phonetic sounds in the name that didn’t belong or spell out the same way. It called Unown “Unknown” and added another N.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  3. WalesNote

WalesNote Well-Known Member

It's R-key-us.

That's how they said it in the films at least.

4. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

I remember that one episode of House M.D. where he pronounced it "Ar-See-Us."

And then the movie pronounced it "Ar-Kee-Us."

It's so confusing sometimes. I usually just go with the former.

OwensJB and NovaBrunswick like this.
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

I want to call it Ar-Kay-Us with the first two syllables coming from the word “archaic” and the last one because it sounds more natural than “Eeus” does. It sort of is a phonetic pronunciation with the E being silent.

6. NeedsAName

NeedsAName Well-Known Member

I also pronounce it as "Ar-kay-us", like Arch+Deus

carterfeygo, NovaBrunswick and Xaby like this.
  7. NovaBrunswick

Wow, House had an episode mentioning Pokémon? :eek:

8. Captain Jigglypuff

House did many odd things. I actually have this DSi Ware game that was based on the show involving a circus ring leader. It was a bizarre experience to say the least.

NovaBrunswick and NeedsAName like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I pronounce it "Ar-see-us" in my head, and since I've never had a need to say the name aloud, I suppose it doesn't matter how I pronounce the name since nobody will ever hear me say it.

10. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

Ar-kay-us

It sounds like arcane, and the pronunciation is hinted at by Silvally's ability.

11. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Fairy type Trainer

Are-See-Us. The same way they pronounce it Pokemon Battle Revolution.

12. NovaBrunswick

It does make some sense since Type: Null and Silvally were sort of created in Arceus's image.

NeedsAName likes this.
  13. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

I say Ark-e-us rather than Arse-eus, so Ar-kee-us?

carterfeygo and NovaBrunswick like this.
  14. NeedsAName

To be fair, they did mispronounce a lot of other Pokemon names.

carterfeygo and NovaBrunswick like this.
  15. Ignition

Ignition Smug Smasher

I use R-K-S like Silvally’s ability implies (does the ability even have a meaning or is it just an acronym made solely to drive home the connection between Silvally & Arceus?).

NeedsAName and NovaBrunswick like this.
  16. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Ar-key-us

17. NeedsAName

Guys, weird idea: its name is pronounced differently depending on the region. While most regions pronounce it as Ahr-see-iss, its pronounced like Ahr-kee-iss in regions where the first pronounciation would be a bit awkward (like Galar), and Alola pronounces it weirdly like Ahr-kae-iss because they're just like that.

18. NovaBrunswick

Alola’s pronunciation is supposed to evoke Silvally’s RKS System, since it’s supposed to be like Arceus in its ability to change types.

NeedsAName likes this.
  19. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

I pronounce it Ar-Cee-Us and I didn't even know that it could be pronounced other ways because my way of saying the name seemed like the easiest pronunciation.

20. NovaBrunswick

"Ar-cee-us" just sounds like the most natural pronunciation to me. It rolls off the tongue a little easier than "Ar-kee-us" or "Ar-kay-us".

carterfeygo and NeedsAName like this.