• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

how do you rate Ash as a Trainer?

DarkDeoxys

Spikeshell Trainer
Your Opinions and thoughts on Ash as of the End of the Hoenn Saga compared to the Johto Saga/Orange League

Opal Pikachu13

Hmm, how do I see him now? Well I think he's a better trainer now then when he was during the the first Kanto/Orange League/ Johto saga. He doesn't act immature anymore like he was when he started his journey, He has better battling skills, and I noticed May almost started just like that on the second ep of Pokemon Advanced, but Ash was able to teach her how to catch Pokemon correctly by battling and weakening and not just by throwing a Pokeball (exactly how Ash caught Caterpie on the first season, and how he tried to catch Pidgeotto, thinking that it will work, but it didn't.) Oh yeah and forgot to mention what he was doing when he first got Pikachu, tieing him with a rope and dragging him, trying really crazy ways just to catch a Pidgey due to Pikachu ignoring him and laughing at him when the Pokedex commented Ash to be stupid, like trying to catch it with his pajama shirt lol! Then getting in real trouble with the Spearow flock, causing Pikachu to get damaged. May's Torchic got damaged in a similar way by a Marril family, but it wasn't as bad as Ash's run-in with the Spearow flock. To sum it all up, Ash has became a better trainer now then when he was back then.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Ash has shown drastic improvement. Initially he sort of sucked at strategy, and he did really stupid things during battle, but now his strategies aren't too bad anymore. Of course he could still use improvement but thats a given, and he keeps trying to improve. Plus hes the hero on a childrens show, so he has to win a fair amount of the time. It would upset the kiddies if he constantly lost

/Exiled/

EternallyParadoxical
Well with as many episodes as their are ofcourse he has to improve. Though i find it strange how he dosent study up on any gyms he's going to. FOR GODS SAKE HE DOSENT EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF POKEMON THE GYM USES!" Ash is pretty dumb in terms of pokemon knowledge. If he didnt have the ability to quickly think on his feet and quickly devise stradegies he'd be screwed.

Ben Kenobi

Ash is OK as a trainer but he is not the most knowlegable trainer. Everybody always reminds him when he is making a mistake plus he eats too much but is still serious when battling so he's good at that part.

Kabuto

little punks!
Hes alright but not great. He gets lucky alot and makes many stupid mistakes. Sure, he wins alot and is pretty good for his age. However, he is like most of the other trainers in the show. He doesn't know alot about type advantages and combos. He doesn't train very hard or evolve his pokemon. I'd rate him about 5 out of 10.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Ash is about average as a trainer but exceptional for his age. He's a little skilled but has his reasonable share of luck. He's Pokemon tend to carry him with their abilities though.

Ash is just a trainer to serve as the center of the anime and is a great example. He's not worthless but also not perfect.

#1 Poke Fan

Ahs is quite a good trainer, he can occasionally make stupid mistakes but doesn't eeryone?
He loves is Pokemon a lot which makes makes him even better.

Poké_Master

Indigo Champion
During the Indigo League, Ash was rash and didn't think with his head most of the time. Then, in the Orange League, he started becoming more rational. In Johto, he won most of his battles with luck and then in Hoenn, he gained more and more skill. Plus, his love for Pokémon grows as he continues and captures more and more which helps him to get stronger.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Actually, he has a very good team, especially in Hoenn.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DeoxysTrainer said:
I say his team sucks

Any reason why? Ash's team is filled with powerhouses, especially in AG. Even Corphish as an unevolved form can take down evolved forms that are twice its size.

Corphish must have taken a page from Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle on how to be a powerhouse at a first form.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Ash sucks because he releases all his pokémon. His team is also crap, and I could beat them all with my level 87 Rayquazza. *nod*

undisputed_seraphim

I'd say that on a scale of 1 to ten, Ash's team rates a mere 6. At the same point in the game I can easily beat him hands down, no sweat. His battle styles are rather, er, surprising and helpful, I agree, but it's all mostly on-the-spot. And his type weaknesses are obvious. In fact, the anime treats it as though only Ash can switch pokemon. You rarely see other trainers switch pokemon.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It's because the gym leaders can't switch pokemon by rule. I think the brains are the same way. [SPOIL]Kaede in the league did switch Pokemon around and even used Dugtrio to prevent Ash from doing the same.[/SPOIL]

Gravy said:
Ash sucks because he releases all his pokémon. His team is also crap, and I could beat them all with my level 87 Rayquazza. *nod*
Quoted for humor.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Gravy said:

XD I would say that made my day, but Heracross already told me something on AIM a couple hours ago that had me laughing for about ten minutes straight. Anyway, just wondering, but where'd you get that "87" figure? I can see you didn't go to the extreme of "100", but any reason why 87?

Anyway, at first, I hated how he went through Kantou. Never actually fighting gym leaders and going along with a team full of unevolved, yet cheaply uber, cuties. But, seeing him now, actually fighting gym leaders, using kickass Pokemon (even back in Jouto, actually, when he'd strategize with those unevolved cuties to not seem as friggin cheap), I really think he's a great trainer. Hell, between the Houen and Battle Frontier sagas, his Pikachu [spoil]got very close to taking down an Elite's Pokemon[/spoil]. For that matter, [spoil]he lost the Saiyuu Tournament against an opponent who had a very powerful team and went on to become the champion, and it was a damn close call, too[/spoil]. God knows how much he'll have improve in the Diamond/Pearl arc.

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
Have to agree with Yamato-San he is a great trainer. He has improved alot, His hoenn team was really great, his pokemon have evolved this time around, in hoenn all evolved except for corphish, i wont say pikachu cuz pikachu never will. Anyways people always go around saying hes immature but u have to remember that he is a 14 year old, ofcourse i would agree that the writers do make him look stupid at points but not just him pretty much everyone. TR comes in disguise and nobody is able to recognize them. And so much more happens but im to lazy to list it.

Seizureman what are u talking about that he gets lucky, the writers left that theory long time ago. All his battles are won purely on skill, he's always known to have some crazy strategy up his sleeve to let him have the win. And about u saying he doesn't know about advantages, in the anime that really doesnt matter, i mean at some points it does ill give u that. But hes known to put his pokemon at disadvantages and still win most of the time. He can easily have his pokemon at advantages buts that easy and boring IMO.

Anyways I'll have to rate him and his team at: 8/10.
I really think he should give Noctowl,totodile, and cindaquil more battle time.

Final Flash

I've still got it.
DeoxysTrainer said:
I say his team sucks

That is spam for not listing reasons. Just saying he sucks probbally means you Just hate him and what Pokemon he had.

What Obal Pikachu said is right. Ash has gotten better care for pokemon,Like in the first episode,He carried Pikachu on a rope and had gloves. Also,he loses less matches and when He doe's lose matches,He dosen't fall over anymore.

C

Champion Shade

I don't really love 'em too much. I don't really like his personality. Some of his Pokemon are alright, but he's too much of a goody-two-shoes. He would make a good Rocket Grunt, personally. But Ash, to me, he's not a very great trainer.