• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you see the anime evolving in the coming years? Do you think it will change?

What do you guys think the story line, plot, ecetera of Gen 8 will be in the anime?

Why would the anime stick with what is old when they have drastically changed 3 seasons back to back with BW, XY, and SM being drastically different ?

Red and Blue

I'm assuming the Gen 8 anime will be more breaking of the status quo. I mentioned this in a previous thread, but XY might have been the last traditional badge quest.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hopefully back to basics, collecting gym badges/ribbons, facing off against rivals and all that. They don't battle enough anymore, none at all if the TRio aren't around....

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Definitely hoping it goes back to the more traditional adventure and travelling format. Even if there's no gym quest, I'm sure they can still travel, since there'll definitely be another quest to do. Also, I'm hoping they go back to the more familiar art style. I honestly feel dumbing down the art style in favour of only slightly better animation isn't worth it.

Ashton Ketchum

Anime just should evolving. As Gen 8 games for Nintendo Switch be big turning point with strong evolution, same should with anime. Of corse, they should bring back Adventure formula, but it should be evolved to level of PokeSpe (and little Kamen Raider Ex-Aid). And sooner or late, Ash after his high point of growing up leave position of main character. And bring back XY art style.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
As Akkipeddi said, I don't like the SM art style. Dumbing down such a beautiful art style was a silly excuse for wanting more fluid animation, and while fluidity is great I don't want it to come at the cost of looks. This art style clearly turned Ash into a dork, and made both Jessie and James' faces so creepy that I can't stand looking at them.

I also hope 8th Gen goes back to an adventure format since that's what Pokemon is meant to be. Pokemon is not meant to try and be something it's not, which SM has been doing by trying to mimic Yo-Kai Watch as an attempt to bring back younger fans. I have a notable thing against copycatting other franchises.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
As Akkipeddi said, I don't like the SM art style. Dumbing down such a beautiful art style was a silly excuse for wanting more fluid animation, and while fluidity is great I don't want it to come at the cost of looks. This art style clearly turned Ash into a dork, and made both Jessie and James' faces so creepy that I can't stand looking at them.

I also hope 8th Gen goes back to an adventure format since that's what Pokemon is meant to be. Pokemon is not meant to try and be something it's not, which SM has been doing by trying to mimic Yo-Kai Watch as an attempt to bring back younger fans. I have a notable thing against copycatting other franchises.

You people need to stop saying that SM is trying to copy Yokai Watch lol.

Because it's not.

Janovy

Banned
You people need to stop saying that SM is trying to copy Yokai Watch lol.

Because it's not.
Ignore the haters.

I predict the SM style will remain, but it will be upgraded, kinda like the BW style was upgraded in XY.

SM has is well-received in Japan so there's no reason to change things.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The anime has always been changing in look and style. I've been really enjoying the time we've had seeing Ash being a regular kid, something we barely, if ever, will see again. Next gen I hope they focus on the adventure/travel aspect (not that it's ever going to go away. There are many adventures and traveling taking place in SM but the home base is utilized more than people are used to.) with more battling. SM style is staying but will be upgraded to a good balance between sharp look and simple design. It's clear the animators and staff themselves are very proud of the SM style and has attracted many other animators because of it being easier to animate. I'm happy with the style itself and the majority of faces they animate. To me, this thread is so premature (and you only made this thread because you're unsatisfied with the anime's direction and want people to start complaining about SM.) Sun & Moon hasn't even started a year ago and talking about Gen 8 like it's happening in a few months isn't helping. Be like HatersGonnaHate and wait until this saga is about to end/when Gen 8 is announced and we get more details on it.

Hasn't Ash always been a "dork"? He was never a badass. He is always a simple, optimistic and silly kid with creative battling strategies. Jessie shows off her personality thanks to how she looks and James doesn't really look different (his hair is less spiky). I don't see how they're any different outside of being designed simpler. If you think they're creepy than maybe that's the point because they're the villains.

Uh... and how? You seriously need to quit making claims you cannot possibly back up. Stop saying it's copying Yokai Watch when I doubt you even know much about Yokai Watch outside of it being popular in Japan and it being a comedy "school" anime.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Gen 8 will be the greatest anime series! The adventuring will return! Serena will return to the hands of a cool, handsome, badass Ash just like or even better than XY! Ash will win a league and finally stop this endless cycle!

Bleh, I can't believe that is the actual sentiment of people of Gen 8.

Yo-Kai Watch is a Toku-inspired monster of the day anime. SM is not. By your logic, XY is a rip off of shonen anime like Naruto.

Last edited:

satopi

LOL at U.N.Owen's sarcastic remark. :p:p I hope Gen 8 keeps some aspects of Gen 7 like the others have. At least in the anime, they brought back Mega Evolution. I hope they don't keep adding new features ad utilize ones that they can still use like Z Moves, new forms, and Mega Evolution, it's better that they change the location and add new stories instead. New Mystery Dungeon please!!
I'm going to go into the next generation not being emotionally invested in the anime (like everyone should), and I'll wind up enjoying the series more than those people because of it. :)
Your comment pisses me off. Being emotionally attached to an anime you enjoy isn't bad nor will people who aren't guaranteed to enjoy it more than the ones who are. Saying everyone should not be invested in something can be applied to anything else. What's the point of even watching something if you're not supposed to feel anything towards it? What? Just so your feelings won't get hurt? Please, if you're been watching this anime for years on end, you're pretty goddamn invested. Just because you're not doesn't mean everyone should follow suit.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Going back to gyms since the island trials seems to be only an Alola only thing. Probably more serious after Alola being more light hearted.

I personally wish they'll return to the old art style and update it every series like in the past. Nothing against SM's art style, but I prefer the sharp style of BW-XY more.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ignore the haters.

I predict the SM style will remain, but it will be upgraded, kinda like the BW style was upgraded in XY.

SM has is well-received in Japan so there's no reason to change things.

I hope so.
I also hope there isn't another series like XY or a rip off of Naruto
I also want the female lead to do gyms while Ash does some other battling quest.

Rajas

I think the art style changing is 50/50 based on the tone they intend to take into the anime. The animation fits the lighthearted side of SM and hence works well. Also in the reflection part of the latest episode, the redrawn Kanto Ash looked pretty decent and older which makes me think it's the short pants that really makes Ash look younger.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Yo-Kai Watch is a Toku-inspired monster of the day anime. SM is not. By your logic, XY is a rip off of shonen anime like Naruto.

Rotom Dex is clearly an expy of Whisper. Also, notable lack of battling compared to previous sagas. Guess what YKW is known for in its anime? Lack of battles and being set in a school.

Also, I am sick of all of you attacking me just because SM is "not copying". It's just that I know YKW's popularity has likely influenced all the massive changes.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
If Gen 8 does bring back the traditional badge quest and league, it's the make-it-or-break-it-point for the show IMO. There are literally no more excuses for Ash not winning the league (he has reached every latter league stage, has the reserves, has the skills). It might be the 25th anniversary of the show by then, so perfect timing. It would just be dumb if Ash is still the protagonist for 30 years, that too without winning a league.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
One way the anime could "evolve" by retiring Ash and having a new protagonist.

satopi

Rotom Dex is clearly an expy of Whisper.
Do you see Rotom sticking by Ash's side all the time trying to give him advice while being ignored? How about Rotom cheating/pompously acting like he knows everything? What about the gawking over girls and being the buttmonkey or straight man? No, all you can relate to both of them is that they're both sidekicks. Rotom is just a talking Pokedex who collects data and is learning about Pokemon just as much as the characters, not some basic butler who's always trying to save face for barely knowing his own job and is basically useless to the main character. What's next? Jibanyan is Pikachu because they're both mascots?

Also, notable lack of battling compared to previous sagas. Guess what YKW is known for in its anime? Lack of battles and being set in a school.
And if you actually know what Yokai Watch is about, you'll know that YKW isn't about battles or even bonds between Yokai and humans. It's a simple comedy about a boy who has to solve the problems that the Yokai create around him (the setting isn't only the school) because the whole gimmick is "Who's to blame? The Yokai!!"

Also, I am sick of all of you attacking me just because SM is "not copying".
Don't be surprised when people call you out and explain to you why you're wrong.

One way the anime could "evolve" by retiring Ash and having a new protagonist.
I'm one of the few not in favor of this ridiculous and terrible decision. They should upgrade and change the status quo while also keeping some aspects of it. Retiring Ash does more harm than good and isn't going to change anything.

Last edited: