• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you tell if it's hacked?

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Ok, here's the senario:

Someone kindly trades me say...a celebi or other event pokemon.

I say, tyvm. xp

How do I tell if it is a real/cloned pokemon, as opposed to a hacked/cheated one?

Is there ANY way? Especially if its stats are all normal etc...

raneman

mafia man
the easiest way would be to ask for a picture however there is no possible way to tell if its cloned you jus have to trust the person. plus if you know the facts on how your supposed to get the event poke you could quiz them on what level it was obtained where andthe description of how it was met for instance a celebi is a fateful encounter.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
I suppose i'll just have to make sure all the poke's attributes etc... make sense and fit in to what they're sposed to be...

@lebui bit hard since i live in aus and we havent had an event since 2nd gen -_-

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
from what ive heard the GTS fails in this catigory were you cant really view alot of the info needed to determin if its hacked or not

MidnightStorm

Don't trade with random people. Some want to do that and wanted it, but on a good side, you can exchange FCs with real freinds, or people on the internet you trust.

Asking for a picture would be useful, but remember that not everyone can do that, and host them online.

nubinator

Banned
Some people have Cheated game where you can find ledgenaries in patches of grass and stuff. See where the route where they were caught is. I once traded with this guy for a Mewtwo, It said it was found on Route 1 o.0

Yellowstang4086

You cant tell its hacked if the persons good enough. When you hack a pokemon you can decide where the pokemon was caught,level,nature,evs,Ivs,type of pokeball,moves,abilitys,ect... Only trust your friends if your worried about getting a hacked pokemon.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
yea just look at its stats of course it could be semi-hacked you know like getting the heavens pipe but capturing it legit. in that case you cant tell at all

If you went to a nintendo event, would they be able to tell if it was a hack?

(just wondering since u no, if u have a cheated poke on ur game they do something to ur game to u cant get any event pokes from events)

thorn6066

if it has some moves its not supposed to get, then you know if its hacked. Example: a grass type learning volt tackal or a water type attack. If its below its level when your supposded to get it, then its hacked. Example: Nindoqueen level 3. All i can tell you, is trust your gut.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
So say if you used a warp code to get it, or caught it with a cheated masterball, there'd be no negitive effects on your game?

Also, would nintendo still ban you from events if they found out?

So say if you used a warp code to get it, or caught it with a cheated masterball, there'd be no negitive effects on your game?

Also, would nintendo still ban you from events if they found out?

The games have some thingy that activates when you cheat on it, and Nintendo detects that. Upload it to a different game, and it's undetectable.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
The games have some thingy that activates when you cheat on it, and Nintendo detects that. Upload it to a different game, and it's undetectable.

So in otherwords, nintendo wont be able to detect it as long as I MYSELF didnt use the actual cheating device, and only got the cheated pokemon in a trade. Is that what ur saying?

Yemi Hikari

Well, there is the rule that Wifi has about trading Pokemon that have moves that can not possibly be learned and legendaries that are at levels to small to catch.

The best way to tell if a Pokemon was hacked is to check which route the Pokemon was on and the level it was at. Most expesually the Legendaries. Most Game devices, even if you do go to the right place, won't allow you to choose your level. I have a friend who *cough* prefers to hack his games and never beats the games with cheats. I am rather limited on who I can trade with with the GBA series, so I will admit that I have some majorly hacked Pokemon. Another note, certain hacked Pokemon can not be transfered at all. Mew is one of them. It will probabbly be the same for transfering them into the games.