• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you think lucario will be developed

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The thing is, it's still the most showcased Pokemon all because of its Riolu days, even if it has failed to win several PWC matches.

It's like a reverse Torkoal. It's lost many times, but it appears a lot and takes priority over the others who barely matter (even if the amount of episodes for Ash's side is pretty low).

if any of Ash's pokemon were like Torkoal right now, gengar would own that title more than Riolu/Lucario since it's only had 1 on screen victory, and I really hope it improves because NO pokemon should ever be treated the way torkoal was.

So I take it despite it's performance against Volkner you don't believe it's any better than it once was?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So I take it despite it's performance against Volkner you don't believe it's any better than it once was?
I'm only speaking in terms of exposure. Torkoal was the bottom of the barrel for Ash's Hoenn team, but now that bottom is the standard for his Journeys's team, hence why Lucario has that standard while the rest...are far lower than the bottom of a barrel.

Though Lucario's losses are more numerous than its victories, which reminds me of Torkoal.

(Gengar wished it was Torkoal, but we barely see that thing doing anything worthwhile. Gengar's a Noivern for having one measly victory against only losses, really.)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Though Lucario's losses are more numerous than its victories, which reminds me of Torkoal.

it's not just about winning and losing, Torkoal was also hardly used in hoenn to the point where like Noivern you wonder why they bothered giving it to Ash at all, it's only gym contribution was against Norman's Slakoth, and from there, it only had 1 league victory in the hoenn league, every other time it battled there was either a loss or the draw with Tropius.

then in the battle frontier it got to fight Registeel, but couldn't get the win ( i'm not one of those who's impressed by "coming close") and the next time we saw it Darkrai blasted it away without even putting it to sleep.

Riolu/Lucario has done alot more for and contributed for Ash in the short time he's owned in than Torkoal or Noivern ever did.

Jers745

I dont know :p
I'm only speaking in terms of exposure. Torkoal was the bottom of the barrel for Ash's Hoenn team, but now that bottom is the standard for his Journeys's team, hence why Lucario has that standard while the rest...are far lower than the bottom of a barrel.

(Gengar wished it was Torkoal, but we barely see that thing doing anything worthwhile. Gengar's a Noivern for having one measly victory against only losses, really.)
I really cant see JN team at the same level as torkoal my torkoise-boy is just too wronged that even gengar heck even dracovish feels better than him

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I really cant see JN team at the same level as torkoal my torkoise-boy is just too wronged that even gengar heck even dracovish feels better than him
They barely exist, is what I'm getting at. As of now, the low standard that used to be Torkoal's is now Lucario's, which is now the highest standard in terms of exposure and development (showed up as much as Torkoal but also has lost many more times (thanks, tentacle montage) than winning).

Gengar and Dracovish are the Noivern while Dragonite is the Goodra, at least currently. Notice both Goodra and Noivern are also lagging behind in focus. Meanwhile, I'd say Pikachu is the Sunny D-roc slowly gearing towards the ace.

Jers745

I dont know :p
They barely exist, is what I'm getting at. As of now, the low standard that used to be Torkoal's is now Lucario's, which is now the highest standard in terms of exposure and development (showed up as much as Torkoal but also has lost many more times (thanks, tentacle montage) than winning).

Gengar and Dracovish are the Noivern while Dragonite is the Goodra, at least currently. Notice both Goodra and Noivern are also lagging behind in focus. Meanwhile, I'd say Pikachu is the Sunny D-roc slowly gearing towards the ace.
Like i said i dont feel the same vibe JN team at the very least appears for (normally) important stuff while torkoal was mostly a gagmon

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
As of now, the low standard that used to be Torkoal's is now Lucario's, which is now the highest standard in terms of exposure and development (showed up as much as Torkoal but also has lost many more times (thanks, tentacle montage) than winning).

Yes those losses happened, but Ash and Riolu/Lucario both rebounded pretty well since then and considering Riolu was able to fight Bea's Grapploct to a draw in the rematch, it could probably destroy it the way it is now as a Lucario.

Torkoal on the other hand never rebounded from it's terrible battling record, and it probably never will.

The situations are in no way similar to each other.

unless your just trying to demean Lucario for some reason.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

then don't compare it to Torkoal, as someone who's favorite type is fire, even i cringe to this day when I think about how Torkoal was treated in the anime.

Just give it a Mega Evolution and that is it. Ppl wanted Lucario for decades, but now Satoshi has one, it is barley used.

Yet it can still destroy stuff when it counts, like how it one shotted both of Rose's pokemon upon evolving, and it's performance against Volkner was awesome.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Yet it can still destroy stuff when it counts, like how it one shotted both of Rose's pokemon upon evolving.
Ash was pretty much forced to beat Rose (and Goh beating Oleana with Ember spam) to continue the narrative, though. There was no one else to help him, so they chose the evolution hype route to make an excuse.

...That, and anime!Rose got beaten by someone who hadn't even gotten to Hyper Class yet.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash was pretty much forced to beat Rose to continue the narrative, though. There was no one else to help him.

...That, and anime!Rose got beaten by someone who hadn't even gotten to Hyper Class yet.

Rose was by no means a weak trainer, the fact that Lucario took both of his pokemon out with one shot after evolving is impressive weather you like it or not, and it's only gotten better since then despite it's lack of exposure.

Yes it had losses early on, but it's more than rebounded from then and is now a powerful fighter.

comparing it to someone like Torkoal who NEVER got better while hardly getting exposure at the same time is demeaning to Lucario, plain and simple.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Rose was by no means a weak trainer, the fact that Lucario took both of his pokemon out with one shot after evolving is impressive weather you like it or not, and it's only gotten better since then despite it's lack of exposure.
So then what's the excuse with Oleana falling to Ember spam, because the writers totally wanted to make parallels between Ash and Goh. And by the way, there hasn't been a situation where Lucario had to screw 2 Pokemon at the same time (even though it had always done so from continuing damage already inflicted by other team members), so...yeah.

Ash (and Goh) had to win in these battles no matter how flashy or boring. Lucario simply got the glory just to hype the end of the arc, but had it been anyone else, Rose would have lost regardless. Losing was literally not an option or else the arc would have continued, which was impossible because it had no more episodes. It's like Ash always stopping TRio before the episode ends.

ShadowForce720

So then what's the excuse with Oleana falling to Ember spam, because the writers totally wanted to make parallels between Ash and Goh. And by the way, there hasn't been a situation where Lucario had to screw 2 Pokemon at the same time (even though it had always done so from continuing damage already inflicted by other team members), so...yeah.

Ash (and Goh) had to win in these battles no matter how flashy or boring. Lucario simply got the glory just to hype the end of the arc, but had it been anyone else, Rose would have lost regardless. Losing was literally not an option or else the arc would have continued, which was impossible because it had no more episodes. It's like Ash always stopping TRio before the episode ends.
Look of how you feel how about Lucario it’s not on being treated on the same level Torkoal.

You seem to be focusing on Lucario’s win loss ratio, look the fact is matter is unlike Torkoal who series that it was a member of the active team was in which ended.

Lucario is still developing and let’s not pretend that Lucario is going to get more battles to show off and do good especially when we both know it has a rivalry with Bea’s Grapploct and is likely going to be used in Ash’s next battle with Bea plus it will likely gain access to Mega Evolution.

Also the fact Ash’s Riolu/Lucario actually had a arc already puts above Ash’s Torkoal who never got an arc and didn’t really have that many battles.

Sure you can come up with excuses that “oh but Ash’s Lucario is only strong because the plot demands it” but the same can be said about every single one of Ash’s Pokémon as well.

It’s one thing to say that Ash’s Infernape was handled better then Lucario, however to try to compare Ash’s Lucario to Ash’s Torkoal and say that Ash’s Lucario(a Pokémon that is still developing) is the new lowest standard or lower then Torkoal is just completely ridiculous.

Now could how Lucario’s current handling be handled better sure, but to say that Lucario is the worst handled Pokémon is just laughable.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'm not saying he's worst handled, though? It clearly has a lot of focus and appearances, despite the fact they've been pretty low.

not directly, but constantly comparing Lucario to and claiming that it's like Torkoal says that you do believe it to be a worst handled case, because anyone who knows of Torkoal knows that it was treated terribly and never recovered from it, Riolu/Lucario is in no way similar to Torkoal as it's been handled much better, but you refuse to see this because you only look at a particular time frame in which Riolu was doing bad, even though it has more than rebounded and gotten better since that time and can still do more to improve beyond what it's done so far because this saga isn't over yet.

if anyone of Ash's current pokemon was in spot like torkoal's, then that would be Gengar, but like Lucario it still has time to recover since this series isn't over yet, if it learns to Gigantamax that will definitely help it.

If you can't see that's why your getting called out on the matter then I don't know what to say.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ash’s Torkoal wasn’t even that bad

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Not at all by the looks if it. The writers seem to have this awful mindset of "well it evolved so were done focusing on that Pokémon forever" even though they made Ash catch 3 fully evolved Pokémon who also have gotten almost zero development besides Dragonite. They tried for one episode for Lucario and Cinderace to have a thing before immediately giving up and never talking about it again

I really hope they change that soon because frankly it's a slap in the face seeing Lucario feature so prominently in that opening with how quickly they gave up on it
Well just remember that with subplots and character development, the writers of Pokémon are often on par with the writers of The Room, in that with very few exceptions they introduce plot points all the time and then drop them, never to mention them again. And no, it isn't going to change. They've been doing this for over twenty years (the GS Ball being the first time I noticed it), and the situation with Lucario will not be the last time we see it happen. The only way this will stop is either with a radical change in the leadership, or tellingly more freedom on the part of the production team (specifically the writers). Neither of these things appear to be happening any time soon (the current people in charge only care about how fast they can crank out episodes and market new Pokémon).

The only way it would happen with the current regime is if the ratings tanked so badly that they were forced to do a shakeup. Unfortunately (sort of) the Pokémon anime is an anomaly when it comes to ratings.

Last edited: