1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How do you want the next PokeGirl to be like?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Musashi~, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I was mainly talking about how it felt like they just gave her a goal to shut up everyone asking what she's going to do and how it all concluded.

2. Pikachu979

Pikachu979 Sinnoh Champion

I think it would be repetitive for both of them to challenge the same gyms. Unless there were more gyms like in Unova but i don't see that happening since for the most part the formula is 8 gyms per region.

3. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I don't view her as such since her goal was sorta rushed and began late, plus outside of showcases she rarely got episodes to herself and the few that she did get were mostly done for the shipping's sake. In regards to her replacement tho, my biggest hope is that she won't have a crush on Ash. ^^;

4. Darkness Angel

Darkness Angel Lover of Fate-Chan

That's one thing I found annoying as they took far too long in setting up a goal for her. I believe they should have given her something right off the bat.

5. i have 2 ideas for a new female companion
    female companion thats like a rival that wants to be the best trainer in the region or
    a female companion thats part of the bad guys but becomes good later?

6. JudySpell

JudySpell Banned

I think the latter is too complex for this show & the former seems unlikely too since whenever a girl companion upstages Ash fans get upset.

7. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Well even if the next girl is Ash's rival, she wouldn't necessarily need to 'upstage' him. She might try to beat him and simply end up losing alot kind of like Casey from Johto. ^^

8. Darkness Angel

Say Ash wins the Kalo's League, why not have the girl beat him in the next league?

9. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Well if the next girl defeats Ash in a league, she'd likely be hated however. I mean I remember how Iris was deeply criticized when she defeated Ash in a simple BW tournament, so the next girl would likely have it worse if she beats Ash at a league. :[

10. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

That probably came as much from Ash being incompetent throughout the start of the era and Iris being a condescending egotist to him despite her own inadequately trained roster. Fans were likely rooting for Ash to take her down a peg.

Make a girl rival with a less insufferable attitude towards Ash and more plausible development on her skills and it might be more accepted, especially if Ash at least gets his big moment this era.

11. Gillachu

Gillachu Banned

Girl companions apparently ain't allowed to collect badges anyway, so she wouldn't compete at a League.

12. Darkness Angel

It doesn't always have to be that way how many people other than me would like to see a girl companion collect badges other than doing contests/showcases?

13. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

To be honest, I kind of want Ash to win the Kalos League, but lose to the Champion, and then he decides to take a 'relaxing' tour of a new region or pursue a side (probably still battle-related) goal, like the Frontier. And then, the girl gets to get gym badges.

That way, Ash still gets to battle, but it's shaken up a little bit.

14. Dragon Pulse

Dragon Pulse Well-Known Member

I hope the next male sidekick is actually more active and developed. What was the point of Clemont even being a companion to Ash? He barely does anything and he has only captured one Pokémon in the entire XY series. Cilan wasn't that well focused on, but atleast he had more screen time, lines to speak and caught some Pokémon from time to time.

15. Darkness Angel

Here's something that would be funny what if the next girl was like a female Brock who'd be hitting. On all of the males she sees much like Brock was always hitting on all the girls?

16. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Clemont seems to be largely for comic relief, and remind us 'See, the heroes can be as wacky and funny as Team Rocket'. Still he has a rather decent potential dynamic with Ash, being the smart, inactive nerd to his simple action hero character. We saw glimpses of him being sort of an underestimated character, admiring Ash and being something of laughing stock with everyone else but him, it's just not a lot of development came out of it. While we know he has talents in his own way, we didn't see a whole lot of him proving his worth to the rest of the team (though his tech support seems to be getting shown a BIT more in depth with the Ash!Greninja monitoring at least).

Truthfully though, even Serena's arc didn't give a lot of progression in that regard.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  17. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I'm likely alone in this, but I don't necessarily like gym battles much. So seeing two cast members challenge gyms would actually seem tedious to me rather than a good thing. The next girl could just get an entirely new goal however.

18. Darkness Angel

What would a good new goal for the new girl be if she wasn't doing contests or going after gym badges?

19. pokemon fan 132

pokemon fan 132 Well-Known Member

Everyone talk about either bringing back contests or new girl doing gym battles causing potential logistic problems.

But to be fair contests and gym battles while proving themselves to have practical and measurable way through which more reliably someone progress in career sense could be estimated. Are not the only ways to do so.

There exist plenty of other interesting ideas and ways to make for compelling and eventful storyline which could main girl for 7th generation do. From pokemon researcher, ranger or explorer to having storylines of girl seeking for revenge in taking down regional villain organization for doing harm to her pokemon and friends. Training and entering various battles to grow stronger. Follow path of someone passing required tasks to become gym leader or even E4 member. Revealing all kind of steps, tasks and procedure one would have to take to even come in consideration.

For latter part technically first pokemon girl Misty showed big interest in E4 members with Lorelei being even her idol wishing to reach such position one day. Leaving way for sequel to be done since it draws lot of connection to her ultimate goal of becoming water master(and elite trainers are marked as type masters). In case we ever see her again.

We could have another girl wanting to become master of certain specie entering chain of elemental competitions measuring her knowledge and skills in learning how to unlock full potential of specific pokemon type she specialize in. Like sky battles, tournaments reserved for normal pokemon etc.

Because while left in many ways unexplored, concepts like dragon master in Iris case or water pokemon master in Misty case had interesting premises behind themselves and if in later case Whirl Cup, water races or underwater battles were something to go by. Showed how there existed fertile ground on which this careers could be explored on more substantial level better defining whole term. As far as trainers which dedicare themselves in raising and training one element, specie goes overcoming their disadvantages and flaws.

Not happening not because it lacked potential, but due to lack of experience, laziness, misunderstanding in what to make out of story between writing staff and directors and who knows what kind of other issues happening behind the stage. Unknown to us viewers.

Personally im of opinion how any career can pass test of time and become eventful if there exists enough will and passion from writer side to make it work. Though admittedly having elements of battling with pokemon is desirable adding more flavor and diversity to someone progression in goal sense. Which isn't always necessarily connected to personality, character development.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  20. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

I still think that destroying the evil team directly would be a good goal for the new girl. It could even give her opportunities to try things out and, if character customization returns, allow her to try on different outfits and hairstyles since she may use espionage and infiltration to accomplish her goals, as well as battling the evil team directly. It would also force the animé to have more of a storyline focus and, if the evil team is done correctly, still give the animé the chance to advertise the region's Pokémon by having the evil team use them rather than mere characters of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.