• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you want the next PokeGirl to be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'd like the new PokeGirl to have a 1960s-like personality and design. They need to model more characters on the past.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Get a character like Rika Nonoka on board and then we'll talk

pokemon fan 132

I think Shooti brought up a very good idea. Why constantly bring in new girls when there exist so many of them forgotten in past who have potential and unanswered things in story to warrant sequel and doing more with them?
People always complain how Ash traveling companions are never allowed to advance and achieve anything. But by bringing them back this could be rectified.

With older companions we wouldn't be seeing them learning how to battle, just getting their first pokemon etc. No we could actually see sequels in using previously acquired knowledge in new situations, add more depth to already developed friendship with Ash.
Such as being put on test to see if they can overcome their differences, learn new things about themselves with bond becoming stronger?

Introduce new exciting tasks for them to accomplish developing unique story through which we could see them step up as person and trainers coming closer toward their dreams etc.

With all above mentioned i would actually prefer if for next girl one of previous female leads is used receiving sequel to her own story. And while I would be open toward any, sometime i do wander am i the only one seeing potential that Misty returns as main character. Not permanently but for one more series or in recurring role at least?
Because there exists lot of untapped potential just waiting to be used to explore more character, many things about Misty goals, dreams and unresolved emotional flaws are unfinished.

Having imho enough appeal and charm personality wise to deliver wide stream of emotions, sarcasm, temperament taunts, comedy moments and energy in chemistry between characters.

To not disappoint if given fair chance once more before pokemon ends.

Posessing therefore qualities im looking from next pokemon girl lead to have. As we could in such case follow more mature, tougher female for change which has experience, developed relationship with Ash, knows how to battle and is ready to go through deeper, more concrete development. Reaching new frontiers in quest of becoming top water trainer/water pokemon master.

Normally I wouldn't bring Misty into discussion about who might be new pokemon girl(not in this day and age anyway, given how much time have passed). But with arrival of recent news I feel this is worth mentioning up:

Because with 20th anniversary being around corner and new games coming up provides to Misty necessary potential to deliver marketing value too:
Sun and Moon games from looks of it will be based on Hawaii; so logic implies they would be filled with lot of water content.

And what does this mean?
How it would not only be natural but suitable environment too to explore on aspiring water master and water pokemon enthusiast like Misty in being developed more. Making more sense to invest in iconic and well known female protagonist like her in promoting water related themes region based on Hawaii might have. Rather than bringing completely unknown character and center her focus around water plots and dreams.

It simply makes no sense when taken in account how many things there were left unfinished in Misty story having material to deliver more.

And possibilities are numerous. Possibilities:
We could see continuation of what Whirl Cup began diving deeper in correlation between "Alpha Omega of water pokemon!" and "Water pokemon master!" title. Introducing chain of water competitions on region based on Hawaii. With each island having tests which either test skill, agility, knowledge etc.

Such type of land would be suitable to introduce whole new way of utilizing water pokemon like underwater battles. Which were barely, if ever much focused giving chance for aquatic species which were barely represented to actually shine.

Misty could be battling various pokemon type experts, learn about more complex strategies and pass tests which evaluate her skills and flexibility as battler. See her trying to discover how to connect with her pokemon on deeper level obtaining required stones to start whole process of mega evolution, thus bringing full potential of water specie on surface. Meeting up with Ash and co sporadically as she is seen working toward becoming renowned water expert ending up ultimately as E4 apprentice. Following thus footsteps of her idol Lorelei from E4.
Etc, etc.

If anything it would be cool if Misty after such long absence gets to play some role again. If not in full capacity, than as recurring character in region based on Sun and Moon games. Given its implications and ties with water element. Delivering unpredictable twist and lot of playful dynamic, passion in group interactions in meeting up with Ash after so much time and see how much she's changed in leaving impact on new series.

All of this provides justification to use her character for storyline purposes. But also in being nice way to tie this with 20th year anniversary in some way in showcasing older characters for who it would make sense to play role in such type of region.

EDIT: I feel it should be pointed out how realistic me don't think this has much chance, if any. But this thread is for speculation and what kind of next girl for pokemon we would like to have after all. Thus deciding to share with others my wishes and hopes.

Contests and gym battles were evenly balanced out because they both varied. They weren't two same type of competitions. I'm 100% the writers will quickly run out of ideas if they have both trainers do gym battles.

I'm saying this because of what we seen from past episodes. Misty and Ash had to battle this un-official gym leader, and I remember one of their battles was super short compared to the other.

Its not like both Misty and Ash had to participate in same battle. Writers could have Ash sit on bench during episodes where Misty battled and participated in. Reason why Ash entered many battles in which Misty participated was mainly due to pokemon formula during OS being a lot more Ash centric than it was situation in later regions. Being more so about Ash growth and learnings as trainer during time he was greenhorn and highly inexperienced battler, with Misty and Brock role serving above anything as coach and mentor to him. In pointing out flaws and serve as someone who would guide him on right path.

More attention and care toward traveling companions goals didn't stated to happen until Johto final season. Where whole Whirl islands detour was mainly dedicated to Misty water master dream. But by than it was too late for her. Thus receiving in end personality development, but not so much her ambitions and career being fleshed out .

However as we get to see with later girls and change of formula where anime wasn't as much Ash centric as it used to be. Whoever new gen girl may be. Even if she is battle hardened trainer, as long she wouldn't be doing what Ash does(gym battles). Writers should have no issues in properly juggling focus and screen time between Ash and female companion.

They certainly shouldn't have two companions who both want gym badges, but at least one companions shouldn't have a vague goal like Iris' or Misty's, they should be after something specific like the Grand Festival but not straightforward battling. It doesn't have to be contests, personally I like the idea of a pokemon racer like Lara Laramie (but with different kinds of races like hurdles, sky and sea races, etc.) or someone trying to do something like the pokethalon, but two protagonists should have a defined goal.

To be fair Misty and Iris type master goals had potential and directions for writers to explore and expand upon. Its not like they couldn't be defined better, but due to writers inexperience, different formula series followed(especially applicable to OS when staff still wasn't sure what they wanted from anime to become) and lack of communication between writers and directors. Alongside all other to us still un known factors this two girls careers weren't fleshed out as much as they could've in reality been.

Personally I would be ok with having girl who strives to become type master once more. But only under condition of this time such type of goal being well defined and writers putting effort and energy in better explaining what are there concrete steps and hardships someone needs to overcome to reach such position. If anything that would help shed more light on above mentioned girls careers as well in receiving clearer picture of how they can accomplish it.

Third time's a charm.

Neither will happen. Besides the show needs fresh meat every few years and not just the same cast all the time.

So who is to say this show couldn't be fresh with same cast? Especially when there exist so many anime out there who more or less have same main characters for hundreds of episodes and they are/were highly popular and watched by many.

There is more than one way to keep anime fresh. Such as doing more profound character development with already well known protagonists. Introduce new, more original plots and storyline to follow filled with all kind of unpredictable twists increasing on suspension.

Replacing constantly main cast and throwing away potential to explore further protagonists people may have grow fond of is at this point awfully predictable and in reality stale formula.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

Lol no thanks. I don't think this anime can handle serious characters well as castmates.

Well we need some character that's multilayered and/or gets a decent amount of character development.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Well we need some character that's multilayered and/or gets a decent amount of character development.

Just get another co-star like Dawn, she would most likely get decent character development then.

U.N. Owen

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
They have to put effort into it if its Ash.

I am positive had they just had Serena do showcases and not crush on Ash at all her popularity would be in the gutter.

Fandom be like "Oh her goal is just baking and contests stage 1?BOOOOOORING!"

Lol.That's true anyway.90% of Serena's personality is shipping and that's why she's so popular.
I would like the next PokeGirl to be strong,determined and competent.Collecting badges isn't a bad idea but that can be a bit tiring.We have had enough of contests and showcases,so the writers should try something different.I hope that she will be memorable and her personality will be more than just being kind,humble and girly. :D

Last edited:

Zoneman29

Most of us think that Serena will still travel with Ash because we AmourShipping keep alive & might be showcase in the Region.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Most of us think that Serena will still travel with Ash because we AmourShipping keep alive & might be showcase in the Region.
Define the word "most." Also a little one sided shipping plot is definitely not going to save Serena's fate on the show. Gen 7 promotion>>>>Amourshipping in the writer's eyes. Ash will either travel with the Gen 7 female protag or a female Gen 7 Gym Leader and a male companion.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Hopefully Gen 7 girl is a sore loser and whenever she loses the loss is not just brushed under the rug for random filler episodes and not addressed until the next whatever her goal is episode. This a flaw every female lead with a actual goal has had. They lose and wait 20 episodes later to actually do something about it. May's BF run being the only exception because when she lost her one and only contest in like the next episode she entered another one to correct it. I want the next girl with a quest to really aim for winning and not take losing well and build on it.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Hopefully Gen 7 girl is a sore loser and whenever she loses the loss is not just brushed under the rug for random filler episodes and not addressed until the next whatever her goal is episode. This a flaw every female lead with a actual goal has had. They lose and wait 20 episodes later to actually do something about it. May's BF run being the only exception because when she lost her one and only contest in like the next episode she entered another one to correct it. I want the next girl with a quest to really aim for winning and not take losing well and build on it.

Didn't they do that with Dawn? She didn't take her losses well early on iirc.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Didn't they do that with Dawn? She didn't take her losses well early on iirc.

True. Dawn didn't take losing well and lead to good development, but Dawn wasn't exactly a sore loser, maybe once during Hearthome but she grew out of it. I'm talking a girl that hates losing and refuses to accept that there are those stronger then her. I want a stubborn sore loser like that. She could be fun. Like have her be sour until she gets her revenge/justice.

U.N. Owen

True. Dawn didn't take losing well and lead to good development, but Dawn wasn't exactly a sore loser, maybe once during Hearthome but she grew out of it. I'm talking a girl that hates losing and refuses to accept that there are those stronger then her. I want a stubborn sore loser like that. She could be fun. Like have her be sour until she gets her revenge/justice.

Instead of a sore loser, how about we have one that fears losing? We haven't had a character motivated by true fear as a primary flaw before.

Status
Not open for further replies.