• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How do you want the next PokeGirl to be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
We all know that will never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Ash become a supporting character for a season, and have a female character take over as the main lead.

That's also not possible as Ash is way too popular in Japan to be replaced by someone else as the main lead, though I would like that.

Bahmo

It's still possible to have a break-out success companion, though. Brock stuck around for three generations, despite being relevant neither to the new regions nor the ten-year-old mindset.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I now declare the next heroine should definitely have purple skin, and she should also have an unnatural hair color. Maybe dark grey with blue streaks.

In all seriousness, for all I've said about all I despise about the anime, they could win me back if they went with an action route; not just tournament battles but genuine danger. I don't want anything as dark and genocidal as the Yellow arc of Pokemon Special, but something where more than just Ash's pride was at stake would be nice.

On that note, I want villains who aren't chumps and I want next heroine to be an action girl; make here a martial arts expert, or give her a gun or a sword or some other weapon, and have her be put in danger by other characters and their Pokemon and be willing to use her own Pokemon to threaten in kind.

You kind of have to give a crap about the characters themselves before you can get into the main plot. While I do think the weapons thing will be cool, I don't see a ten-year-old using those things. Martial arts expert is probably the best route since I was a decent fighter at ten back in my day (I'm not old or anything). Develop characters first into someone we give a crap about, then do all the crazy awesome stuff.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
It's still possible to have a break-out success companion, though. Brock stuck around for three generations, despite being relevant neither to the new regions nor the ten-year-old mindset.

I still think that was a big mistake any ways and I hope the writing staff knows better now than to keep characters in the cast who don't have much relevance. ^^;

I would like to see a PokeGirl with a shorter hair style, much like Erika's from Celadon City. In fact, if she had a similar appearance in general to that of Erika, I'd be really happy with that! ^_^

Also, a girl that wears a lot of colors. Like a black skirt and rainbow colored blouse / shirt, etc. Also some color in her hair would be cool, too!

But overall a tough girl attitude! Confident, powerful, slightly aggressive, much like Makoto Kino from Sailor Moon in that sense of personality!

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
I'd like to see the new girl be a sort of rival for Ash where she has her goal right away. And will be challenging gyms alongside him their rivaly will be a friendly one where they both help each other out get better. When the league roles around they will have their final battle, as for personality I don't want to see her be like Iris at all as for fashion sense I'd like to see her wear something similar to either Dawn or Serena outfits.

DatsRight

I'm not worried about them making a weak female protagonist, I'm worried she'll have a boring or poorly defined goal or that too many of her episodes will revolve around ship-tease that will never really go anywhere. That's why I wish Alexa had been a protagonist in Kalos, she'd have been unique as an older female travelling with Ash, would likely not have had ship-tease with Ash (who hasn't shown definite romantic interest in a girl since episode 9), she's knowledgeable enough to fill the exposition role and she can travel with Ash while looking for big stories so it would feel natural for them to travel together. Hopefully someone like her can be a companion this time.

I think this worked okay for Kalos because Serena's uncertainty and looking up to Ash worked well with the rest of the team. No one was Ash's senior in this region, so it gave at least a little development for him having to play the more experienced older brother of the team that was looking out for everyone, something he'd been slowly weaned on since Hoenn with Brock still around.

It would be interesting if the Sun/Moon team had some way of extending onto this. Hopefully they can still be competent, but without taking away this idea of Ash having to be a big boy.

I mentioned before that it would be interesting to have companions who aren't on the same page as Ash, they disagree or have serious arguments with each other more, making it difficult for him to maintain the team and placing him out of his comfort zone.

In all seriousness, for all I've said about all I despise about the anime, they could win me back if they went with an action route; not just tournament battles but genuine danger. I don't want anything as dark and genocidal as the Yellow arc of Pokemon Special, but something where more than just Ash's pride was at stake would be nice. On that note, I want villains who aren't chumps and I want next heroine to be an action girl; make here a martial arts expert, or give her a gun or a sword or some other weapon, and have her be put in danger by other characters and their Pokemon and be willing to use her own Pokemon to threaten in kind.

Truthfully both BW and XY did this for a long while in their early points, with a more dangerous Team Rocket and alternate villains, and a more actionized route. The first few episodes of XY in particular felt rather tense since Ash came off as the most capable guy on field, thus things were more down to him. Compare the silliness of Hoenn and Sinnoh startoffs to the intensity of XY, with rampaging Garchomps and genuinely intimidating Team Rocket attacks even Officer Jennys couldn't fend off. Naturally it slowly dwindled back into the norm afterwards.

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
It's all going to depend on who are the gym leaders for whatever region Sun & Moon bring in next. But if I had to choose, I would wish for Serena to stay. It would be for nothing that they played with #Serenash. I don't think anyone can top her as best Pokegirl, Dawn comes close however.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
I hope also that the next girl isn't a tom boy I'm just not a fan of that.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I hope also that the next girl isn't a tom boy I'm just not a fan of that.

The closest thing to Tomboy was Iris I believe, and that was loosely. I kind of want to see how tomboy would play out. We already had a male companion with "sugar in the tank" qualities before and I did not mind him at all. He definitely added some spice to the group.

Xuxuba

I want TWO pokegirls and just 1 boy (Ash, of course). I think that having more girls than boys would change things a little bit and god knows how much this anime needs to stop being so repetitive.

I do not want a little girl companion who's there just to be cute, i want a proper character with a goal and character development, just like Serena, May and Dawn.

Also i want her goal to be something different. Not another type master or performer/coordinator. However, i hope this goal has a way of showing progress through achievements, like the performer/coordinator goal.

Regarding her personality, as long as it's consistent, i'm fine with it.

And that's about it.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Fun, basically just funny moments, nice reaction faces even if she has to play the tsukiomi route to achieve it.

I don't want forced drama, just some fun Pokémon time.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I want TWO pokegirls and just 1 boy (Ash, of course). I think that having more girls than boys would change things a little bit and god knows how much this anime needs to stop being so repetitive.

I do not want a little girl companion who's there just to be cute, i want a proper character with a goal and character development, just like Serena, May and Dawn.

Also i want her goal to be something different. Not another type master or performer/coordinator. However, i hope this goal has a way of showing progress through achievements, like the performer/coordinator goal.

Regarding her personality, as long as it's consistent, i'm fine with it.

And that's about it.

Pretty much this, as well as the female lead having a very active role like a co-star.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
One thing that would be nice but they will never do would be once this season ends why not have Ash's story end. Then when the new season beings the new girl can be the main character and it can be about her journey.

DatsRight

A trade off from Ash to a female sidekick and then to THEIR sidekick and so forth may have worked well, though there are some sidetracks that could interfere. Pikachu is considered the key star of the franchise for example, and Team Rocket will only go where he goes.

If there was any companion most fitting for Ash to pass the torch to it was likely May, since she most fit the whole protege role and was probably the most versatile female companion, being prominent as a battler and a coordinator and being a mix of plucky and feminine traits rather than one extreme. AG was pretty much when Ash's development had reached it's near fullest anyway, by the end of the series he had pretty much fully matured.

pokemon fan 132

To DatsRight: I wouldn't personally say that Ash ever fully matured. That never happened and it hardly will since it would require more deeper and sophisticated development of protagonists in anime like this.

You can strive to reach such kind of position and state, but there will be always left room for improvement. Making things better than they are searching for ways to go beyond your limits reaching new level. Because just like we human beings can never call ourselves fully matured individuals having flaws, imperfections and moments of childish outbursts going on surface, same applies to fictional characters always having ways into his advantage etc.to better themselves.

In Ash case alone during AG, as character he still tended to naively enter in battles without thinking and developing proper strategy, having problems in pulling out of his pokemon full strength, lacking knowledge and experience to overcome basic flaws certain type may have and turn it

Even in current Kalos series issues with Greninja, his overconfidence at times which may backfire sooner or later and rash moments of jumping in danger without thinking(like incident in almost dying in volcano) shows he still has room to learn.

There are also more finer and arguably deeper themes in life his character may be exposed to. Like whole love and romance aspect, potential burden of being aura guardian descendant, deal with responsibility fear of letting everyone down as new champion on case of winning league. In being opposed by huge popularity and expectations. Question Ash desire to become pokemon master and what does this represent for him?

Explore on Ash connection to Ho-oh, introduce his father in story causing emotional turmoils inside his personality, etc. (which pokemon anime director until BF Masamitsu Hidaka stated as possibility in case writers wish to develop Ash on more profound level during interview on pokebeach during 2008).

So there's that as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
As far as topic before like I said before I do not want new pokemon girl, but either Serena staying feeling like she could be fleshed out more or one of previous heroines like Misty who has lot of unexplored things and mysteries left to be answered being great character imo coming back. Especially given how it passed forever we saw original girl playing role in any capacity.

Because constant introduction of new girls who go through most basic and simple character development due to never staying long enough to reach higher dimensions in how far you can go with your protagonist both mentally and physically is just paravane. Cheap trick in smoking out much bigger and deeply rooted issues pokemon series are suffering from through temporary excitement and hype new face cause among viewers. Making them ignore problems and why cast changes(including ever so wanted removal of Ash from some)leads nowhere. As long current formula and status quo remains intact.

With there existing potential, unfinished plots and ways to do so much more with previous pokemon girls we grew up with and started to appreciate.

DatsRight

Okay let me correct that. Ash was about as fully matured as he was going to get afterwards. The later eras as mentioned keep adding little extra depths and side missions, but it did seem the point his usual arc had run as far the writers would let it without repeating itself, thus becoming something of a starting point fans were beginning to consider Ash boring or having outstayed his use.

The end of Hoenn had some nice culminations to his run ending without putting a stop to his journey as well, what with him being offered a role as Frontier Brain but declining to continue travelling. Temple of Sea also had a nice display of how responsible he had became, putting Pikachu (his key Pokemon) and May (his human protege) as top priority and trying to protect them by himself with utter confidence, a far cry from the spoiled, inept only child he was initially. The only thing that may didn't get some sort of exclamation point by that time was his rivalry with Team Rocket, who by the end of Hoenn were at their most useless and desperate level for Pikachu or any type of success and almost faded into a minor gag (which admittedly, had they left with Ash, would have been a rather depressing way to end their run).

It would have also have been the best point to end his run while keeping some pattern that wouldn't be too jarring. Hoenn was the first era to have something of a co-protagonist and probably the first character that could be accepted as his replacement, and the next era could have had her doing contests and battles in Sinnoh with Ash parting ways, with Dawn or another DP character becoming HER co-protagonist and eventual replacement and so on. As of now, I don't think it would catch. Ash has been around as main character for too long and represented too much of the anime series and formula.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

To DatsRight:I would say Ash seem even wiser, more collected in planning ahead and self critic in taking responsibility behind his actions in current series than he was in Hoenn where his ego could at times take best of him. Feeling like he's ready to go on bigger, more elevated level of character development.

Something which people working for pokemon confirmed of being capable of doing, but either because of laziness or fear avoid in doing so.

As brought up in interview with mr. Hidaka:
Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal. So, the show would probably continue the same way collect badges, travel through different regions, never age. Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No. Will there be a 5th generation of Pokemon and will the show keep continuing? He laughed even harder and said of course. Pokemon will continue for many generations to come, and as he made it sound, probably forever.
Etc, etc./QUOTE]
As for replacing Ash with May, given how sensitive and aggravated large bulk of pokemon viewers were at that time with lot of hate being directed toward May for replacing Misty who was fan favorite with demand for her full time return(for understandable reasons given her exit left more to be desired delivering lot of identity to show atmosphere imo) not dwindling until late Sinnoh. When fans lost all hope and energy giving up. I see attempt of removing Ash at that point and time as unwise choice only adding oil on already made fire.

In effectively losing your most recognizable and iconic character pokemon anime has. Who is unmeasurably more popular and recognized than any of his companions. Because even with all dislikers around, he was still way more liked than disliked which is likely case nowadays too.

Not to mention just because in someone eyes Ash may be badly written doesn't and cannot change fact how he still has lot of unexplored potential and room to be done more with character even nowadays. If status quo does change which is doable, because current overused and highly predictable formula with decreasing interest and reputation wont go forever.

Most of all getting rid of characters instead of carrying anime all the way through on shoulders on already existing protagonists and those who made this series (like other long running anime which has same cast for hundreds of episodes do) is equivalent to admitting defeat and giving up on all build up and started development from before.

Last edited:

Gillachu

Banned
One thing that would be nice but they will never do would be once this season ends why not have Ash's story end. Then when the new season beings the new girl can be the main character and it can be about her journey.

That's not going to happen, especially not a girl replacing him. The show needs a relatable protagonist for boys, so the showrunners would never choose a girl for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.