• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How does a Pokéball work?

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
How does a Pokéball work?

The game description says something along the lines of "nobody knows how it works". So, what are your theories?
I personally have no idea... -_-

PokemonTrainerKaden

Personally I think it puts the Pokemon into a sort of stasis that they're in control of. So like in the series they can pop out when they want to.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
My theory:
Pokemon can be transformed into energy, right? That's how they fit into the PC's boxes. Well, when their energy is sucked into the ball, it's a custom-suited fantasy world that is created from the pokemon's mind. So, to simplify, Poke Balls are bigger on the inside. (Think TARDIS)

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
The laser that the balls emit shrinks the size of the particles that make up the Pokémon and stores it inside a capsule, without breaking the bonds or altering the structure of the Pokémon in any way.
When stored inside the PC, the balls are simply transferred to the owner of the PC (like Bill, Lanette, Amanita etc.) for storage until further use. :)

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
The game description says something along the lines of "nobody knows how it works". So, what are your theories?
I personally have no idea... -_-

Depends on the medium.

In the anime, it turns them into energy and then stores the energy inside.
In the manga, it shrinks them down so they fit inside the ball.
In the games... it's not really clear but the animations look like it's the manga way, or maybe a combination of both. But the shrinking thing makes the most sense since Pokeballs were based on Gachapon machines.

xDWarrior

Based on the anime it looks like the Pokemon is transformed into pure energy and then the Pokeball simulates their own little "world" of sorts. As far as the games go it is up to our imagination so I just visualize it based on the anime.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I think it stores the Pokémon inside the lazer, which may add to how they stay in the PC.

But "How a Pokéball Works" is something that should never be asked, it's like the meaning of life, not meant to be discussed.

Ninjask120

Loving the Bug
My theory is the lazer breacks them down into code, just a bunch of zeros and ones. it would explain how they could be stored on a computer and why it wouldn't work on humans. But you know thats just my thought on the matter

I think in the Pokeball there's a beaaaautiful place~! Where pokemon can control their status like the above people have said~! WELL the energy in the pokeball tries to hold it back from coming out..and stuff but can only let it go if it fights back like Ash's Pikachu<3

Magic ;)

But seriously, it probably contains a laser emitting aperture that converts Pokemon into energy and puts them into a sort of stasis mode. I guess.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I think some Pokemon can learn a move called Minimize, which shrinks them down. A Pokeball could be an artificial way of doing the same thing. Technology based on nature. Now don't ask me how Minimize works.

Suitcune

Sweet...
Aperture Science creates everything...Ask Cave Johnson!

ECM

I think that it works exactly like the PC Storage System works, but on a much smaller scale of course. I personally like to think that the world inside of a Pokéball is suited to be similar to the Pokémons natural habitat (Goldeen is in a miniature ocean, Krabby is on a beach, Tyranitar in a mountain, etc.) I'm not sure if there is anything in the games to prove that, but I think it'd be sad for a Goldeen or a Magikarp to not be in water for a majority of your journey.

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
I think the Poke Ball converts a Pokemon's matter into energy. This energy can be compressed into the ball itself, or expanded to allow the Pokemon to take on its true form when released from said ball.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
I personally like the manga's take on it, it just shrinks the Pokemon to where it can fit inside the Pokeball and just stays dormant.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I think the Pokeball fires a beam thar shrinks the Pokemon to a smaller size and pulls it inside to store it. According to the Pokeball's trophy description in the smash bros. games, it contains an environment designed for the captured Pokemon. I assume there's like a dimension inside the Pokeball for the captured Pokemon to live in and possibly provide food which is why Pokemon in the game never starve. When a Pokeball is opened the dimension fades away and the Pokemon is pulled out of the Pokeball in it's original size. I assume the Pokeball can be converted into data which allows it to be stored in a PC. As for how a Pokemon is aware of what's going on outside I assume they can hear the voices of humans and other sounds from inside. How do they get out on their own? I assume the Pokemon's willpower shatters the Pokeball's seal and comes out. That's my theory.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!

AJ

❖☢☼☯☾♛☮
it's a game, lets not take it too seriously. If we start looking at it that way, we would try to figure out how fire breathing animals work.....

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
Well, I used to imagine that the power of the Pokeball shrinks them down so that they'd fir inside. I also thought that the inside of a Pokeball would be like a regular home, just for Pokemon. With sofas and bed and fridges! I'm crazy.